- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Kruger National Park
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
Volunteers Needed For Savfire Vegetation Surveys 2008
The services of 3 full-time volunteers are required for detailed vegetation surveys along selected transects in the SavFIRE programme in the Satara area of the Kruger National Park From 1 April to 31 April 2008. The basis of the work will be look at the grass species composition and tree species along transects set out in the SavFIRE programme.
This is pre-fire vegetation survey, looking at the effect that the fire treatments have on the vegetation. Amongst the data that will be collected along these transects will be grass biomass using a disk-pasture meter and looking at the characterization of fuel, such as the presence of logs etc. All of the data collected will be captured using a cybertracker system. Volunteers will be trained in advance on the survey method and entering data onto the cybertracker.
- Volunteers should be fit and healthy and able to walk in field conditions on uneven terrain and in long grass for up to 7km per day.
- A working knowledge of different grasses will be an advantage as many grass species will need to be identified during the surveys.
- Accommodation will be provided in the form of tents in the Skukuza research camp and volunteers must be prepared to camp with all their own equipment including bedding.
- Preference will be given to South African graduates with savanna experience.
- Volunteers who have been selected will be notified by mid March 2008.
Volunteers MUST be able to stay for the FULL MONTH of April as they will be trained in the field survey methods. Only volunteers that can stay for the duration of the survey will be selected.
For more information on SavFIRE programme please visit the following website: http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/GlobalNetworks/Africa/Afrifirenet_6f.html
Please send a detailed CV and a brief motivation as why you will be a suitable volunteer for this survey to:
Michele Hofmeyr: email@example.com
Research Manager: Science Awareness
South African National Parks
Scientific Services - Skukuza
Kruger National Park
Pvt Bag X 402
tel: +27 (0) 13 7354240
Fax: +27 (0) 13 7354055