- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
Shimuwini is a Shangaan word for "Place of the Baobab Tree".
The camp is so named because the nearby Letaba River which fronts the cottages, is lined with these huge trees, one of them estimated to be between 2 000 and 3 000 years old. Shimuwini Bushveld Camp is the most modern of the bushveld camps, being completely rebuilt after the floods in 2 000.
5 Things to seek
- Baobab Trees
- Tel and Fax: +27 (0)13 735-6683
- 5 x 2-bedroom units. Both bedrooms have two single beds and a ceiling fan. The bathroom has a bath with a shower nozzle on top, toilet and wash basin and inter-leading doors to the other bedroom. The kitchen and dining room is on an open veranda and has a two-plate gas stove (without oven), sink, refrigerator, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery. The veranda consists of a kitchen table and four dinning chairs.
- 9 x 2-bedroom units. Both bedrooms have ceiling fans - one has 3 single beds, and the other 2 single beds. One bedroom has a bathroom en-suite (bath, toilet and wash basin). There is a separate toilet, as well as a separate shower and wash basin. The kitchen has a gas stove (with oven), refrigerator, sink, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery. The dining room is on an open veranda.
- 1 x 3-bedroom unit. There are two single beds and a ceiling fan, as well as en-suite bathroom with bath and toilet in each bedroom. There is an outside shower, for a private shower under the stars. The bathroom has a bath, toilet and washbasin and inter-leading doors to the bedroom and living room. The living room has 2 lounge chairs and a ceiling fan. The outside dining room is on a large, partly enclosed veranda with 3 coffee tables, 6 chairs and a kitchen table. The kitchen is inside and has an oven and stove, refrigerator, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.
Accommodation at Shimuwini Bushveld Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements and is well suited for those Guests who are looking for a self-catering bushveld experience.
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Mini Shop at Reception stocks basic items such as firewood, ice and Telkom phone cards. There are no foodstuffs such as meat available.
- Each accommodation unit has it’s own braai (barbecue) facilities
- Bird Hide (in camp)
- Boma – a communal braai (barbeque) area in camp
- Swimming pool situated at boma.
- No ATM facility available
- No electricity (plug points) available for appliances in units. (Limited availability to recharge small electrical items like laptops; torches; cell phones and toothbrushes at Reception)
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
Take the N1 toll-road to Polokwane (Pietersburg). 40 km before Polokwane turn right onto the R71 and head for Tzaneen. After Tzaneen, head towards Phalaborwa and the gate. Allow between 6 to 7 hours for the trip to the gate. Shimuwini Bushveld Camp is 50km away from the gate. Allow about 2 hours for the drive to the bush camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
- General tariffs information
- 2013/2014 Tariffs
- Pensioners' discount
- Daily conservation fee
- Pre-booked/Advanced Reservations for Day Visits
- Tariffs for Kruger outdoor activities and guided game walks / drives
- View pictures of Shimuwini accommodation and availability
Please ensure that your stay is happy and safe by taking note of a few simple warnings. You will be sharing your stay with many exciting and unusual creatures but without knowledge some of them could be dangerous:
- Bats, Spiders, Snakes, Scorpions, Malaria Zone
If you must walk around at night please DO NOT DO SO WITHOUT A TORCH.
Remember: by feeding any wildlife, you are signing their death warrant as they become aggressive!
Kruger is in a summer rainfall area. Such precipitation is usually convectional and can result in heavy downpours. The summer months (October to April) are hot and often balmy. Winters are warm and mild, although visitors going on night-drives will require warm clothing.
Only residents are allowed in the camp and on the access roads to Shimuwini Bush Camp. Shimuwini Bush Camp can be booked through Central Reservations and is a wonderful bush experience for all. Shimuwini Bush Camp is situated within easy reach of the larger rest camps so that guests can make use of the larger camps amenities if needed.
Flora and Fauna
Some of the animals to be seen in the area are lion, cheetah, leopard, hyena, giraffe, kudu, impala, wildebeest, zebra, duiker, hippopotamus, crocodiles, sable, roan, eland, tsessebe, waterbuck, baboon and buffalo.
Vegetation found in this area includes the apple leaf mixed bushwillow, silver cluster leaf, leadwood, mopane, mixed acacias and baobab trees.
(For more birding information and park bird checklist, go to Information for Birders)
People with disabilities
Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?