This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
Sable Sleepover Hide, situated approximately 10km from of Phalaborwa Gate, is a unique accommodation facility where guests can feel part of nature.
A bird hide by day, it transforms into a primitive overnight dwelling by night, where a select few can experience the Kruger National Park nightlife first hand. The hide overlooks the Sable Dam where an abundance of animals gather to drink. Hear the lion roar and the hippo grunt meters away from where you are sleeping and know this is a true African experience.
5 Things to Seek
- Wild dog
- Tel and Fax: +27 (0)13 735 3547/8
A sleepover hide is a unique overnight experience, exclusively available for guests from half an hour prior to gate closing times.
It provides the opportunity for guests to enjoy complete privacy as the hide must be reserved in entirety (minimum of 2 and maximum of 9 guests at one time). Sable sleepover hide must be vacated half an hour after gate opening times.
- Sleeping units are contained in wooden structures that are locked to the inside wall of the hide by day.
- At night these structures fold down to construct a light bed base. Mattresses can be found in the cupboard at the hide. If required, bedding is available at Reception on payment of a deposit. Each bedding bag consists of a duvet, pillow, duvet cover, sheet, mattress protector, pillowcase and mosquito net.
- An environmental toilet is available for the overnight guests in a separate area on the hide perimeter.
- The living area comprises of boma with braai (barbeque) facilities. There is no electricity. (One light, that operates for about 5 hours, is provided on request.) Please bring your own lighting.
- Only the very perimeter of the facility is fenced and guests are advised to exercise caution at all times. Your vehicle may be pulled into the lapa at the hide during the night for safety purposes. Do not leave the enclosure at night.
- No cooking utensils such as cutlery, crockery or any other cooking equipment is provided. The hide is fully self-catering and guests are advised to bring their own food, wood and water.
Sable Sleepover Hide is managed form Phalaborwa Gate and has no Reception area.
Guests are required to report to Phalaborwa Gate for check-in to acquire keys, bedding, braai grid and light. Accommodation at Sable hide is well suited for adventurous Guests who are looking for a primitive, close to nature, self-catering bushveld experience.
Booking for this accommodation can only be done via telephone, fax, e-mail or in person.
Activities & Facilities
No organised activities available from Sable Sleepover Hide
- Guided Game Walks or Game Drives can be pre-arranged with Phalaborwa Gate subject to availability.
- Tariffs for Activities
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception at Phalaborwa Gate.
- No water (drinking or bathing) available at hide
- No electricity
- One light that operates for about 5 hours (on request)
- No shop or restaurant available
- No Reception office at hide
- No cellphone reception available
- The nearest facility is Phalaborwa Gate (approximately 10km)
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
Take the N1 toll-road to Polokwane (Pietersburg). 40km before Polokwane turn right onto the R71 and head for Tzaneen. After Tzaneen head towards Phalaborwa and the gate. Allow between 6 to 7 hours for the trip to the gate. Sable Sleepover Hide is approximately 10km away from the gate. Allow about 30 minutes for the drive to the hide, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!
- General tariffs information
- 2014/2015 Tariffs
- Pensioners' discount
- Daily conservation fee
- Pre-booked/Advanced Reservations for Day Visits
- Tariffs for Kruger outdoor activities and guided game walks / drives
- View pictures of Sable Dam Overnight Hide and availability
Tariffs from 1 November 2013 to 31 October 2014
Residents to check in at Orpen Rest Camp
No. of units
Sable Dam Hide SDH
Max 9 guests
People with disabilities
The ablution blocks in this campsite offer facilities for the wheelchair access.
Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility
Have a question? Why not ask on the forums?