- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Punda Maria Rest Camp
Please note that you will now be routed to a separate web booking portal specific to Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets.
Would you like to continue?
This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
Punda Maria lies in the northern most part of the Kruger National Park, 8km from Punda Maria Gate.
The camp is situated in the Sandveld region that is often described as the botanical garden of the Kruger National Park. There are numerous plant species which occur that are unique to the area. Game species most likely to be sighted include impala, zebra, buffalo, elephant, eland and sable and the area is a bird paradise.
5 Things to seek
- Sharpe’s Grysbok
- Wild Dog
- Crested Guineafowl
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6873
Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6894
Mobile: 082 802 0066
- 50 x tent or caravan sites, with or without power point and rotating braai grids. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 7 x 2-bed permanent furnished canvas tents on stilts, fully equipped, with shower, fridge, cooking and braai facilities.
- 18 x 2-bed units, equipped with en-suite ablutions (all with showers), air-conditioning and communal braai area. There are no cooking utensils, crockery or cutlery, but a communal kitchen with scullery and electrical hotplate stoves is available.
- 4 x 3-bed units, equipped with en-suite ablutions (all with showers) and air-conditioning. All have sinks and hotplates with kitchenette and communal braai (barbeque) area.
- 2 x 6 bed units, with 3 en-suite bedrooms (2 bedrooms each with 2 single beds and 1 bedroom with a double bed). Equipped with open plan kitchen/dining/bar area and living room with (limited channel) DSTV. One of the rooms is upstairs (loft bedroom with patio). It also has a patio/braai area on the bottom floor.
Accommodation at Punda Maria Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements and is well suited for those Guests who are looking for a self-catering bushveld experience. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to Tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue) available on special request. Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Paradise Flycatcher camp walk
- Thulamela Archaeological Trail (located about 50 km outside of camp)
- Nyalaland Wilderness Trail (pre-booked overnight activity)
- Northern Plains 4 x 4 Adventure Trail (weather sensitive activity)
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- No Wi-Fi
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- Mini ATM facility available in the restaurant
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Swimming Pool
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (from Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Day Visitors Picnic Area (located 8 km outside of camp next to Punda Maria Gate)
- TVs (limited DSTV) available in family bungalows only
- Cellphone reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
Punda Maria Gate
Take the N1 to Polokwane (Pietersburg). At Makhado (Louis Trichard) link up with the R524 and follow this route for ±140km. That will take you to the gate. Allow between 5 to 6 hours for the trip to the gate. Punda Maria Rest Camp is 10km away from the gate. Allow about 20 minutes for the drive to the camp, however if you want to enjoy the game viewing possibilities give yourself more time!include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
- General tariffs information
- 2013/2014 Tariffs
- Pensioners' discount
- Daily conservation fee
- Pre-booked/Advanced Reservations for Day Visits
- Tariffs for Kruger outdoor activities and guided game walks / drives
- View pictures and availability for Punda Maria accommodation
Please ensure that your stay is happy and safe by taking note of a few simple warnings. You will be sharing your stay with many exciting and unusual creatures but without knowledge some of them could be dangerous:
- Bats, Spiders, Snakes, Scorpions, Malaria Zone
If you must walk around at night please DO NOT DO SO WITHOUT A TORCH.
Remember: by feeding any wildlife, you are signing their death warrant as they become aggressive!
Kruger is in a summer rainfall area. Such precipitation is usually convectional and can result in heavy downpours. The summer months (October to April) are hot and often balmy. Winters are warm and mild, although visitors going on night-drives will require warm clothing.
Punda Maria has a designated day visitor area where day visitors and visitors from other camps can braai (barbecue) and picnic. There are also picnic facilities at Pafuri and Babalala.
Flora and Fauna
Game can prove sparse but kudu, nyala, buffalo and Sharpe’s grysbok thrive in this habitat.
Wild dog, elephant and lion are also frequently recorded. The Mahonie Loop is also the best venue in the Kruger National Park to see the diminutive suni antelope. A trip to Pafuri will produce plenty of nyala and impala, and possibly some bushbuck.
Vervet monkey and baboon will be seen in abundance and plenty of hippo and Nile crocodile in the riverbed itself. Early arrivers heading down Nyala Drive may well be lucky enough to see bush pig.
The camp is situated in sandveld. The sandy soil means the area is well drained and several natural springs occur. The plant communities are very complex. No single tree species dominates, but several species are restricted to this ecozone. Visitors should search for white syringa, mixed bushwillow, silver cluster-leaf, baobab, pod mahogany, sickle bush and weeping wattle. Grazing is sparse to moderate sweet grass.
(For more birding information and park bird checklist, go to Information for Birders)
Birding in Punda Maria
In the camp (particularly on the Paradise Flycatcher Trail) Yellowbellied Greenbul and Terrestrial Brownbul (Bulbul), Bearded Scrub Robin should be looked for. Birding throughout the camp is excellent. Birds of prey are common overhead. Verreaux’s (Black) Eagle is sometimes seen, while in winter the White-necked Raven is a regular visitor. The Mahonie Loop, (the 25km circular drive around the camp) is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding birding drives in the Park. One should give oneself plenty of time to cover the distance, and travel with windows down and stop frequently, particularly for calls.
On a good day one could record several of the following ‘specials': White-breasted Cuckoo-shrike, Arnot’s Chat, Crowned Hornbill, Grey-headed (Chestnut-bellied) Kingfisher, Crested Guineafowl, Gorgeous Bush Shrike, Grey-headed Parrot, African and European Golden Oriole (both summer), Eastern (Yellow-spotted) Nicator, Stierling's Wren-Warbler (Barred Warbler) and Dickinson's Kestrel. Narina Trogon has also been recorded on the loop, but is shy and elusive. On the drive from Punda Maria to Pafuri via the Klopperfontein Dam, Racket-tailed Roller and Southern (Mashona) Hyliota have been recorded. This is also one of the best areas to search for Yellow-billed Oxpecker. This species was absent in the park for many years, but returned in the 1980s and their numbers are still increasing. Buffalo are the preferred hosts.
People with disabilities
An in-depth accessibility profile for Punda Maria has been compiled.
Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility.
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?