- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
This page displays all information relevant to this park/camp, except the following:
This small and delightful camp is situated in the south-eastern corner of the Kruger National Park, on the northern bank of the Crocodile River, from which it derives its name.
After an early morning game drive, one can retire from the Lowveld heat to a lunch of prawns before coming back for late afternoon game viewing. The game viewing area is known as the ‘Southern Circle’ and is renowned for its concentration of different prides of lion with different hunting techniques and behaviour. It has an abundance of prides, herds, troops, packs and swarms. It is home to a larger percentage of the Kruger National Park‘s total rhino population. Come and experience humans living in harmony with nature. Here one has the ability to experience the sharp contrast between the wilderness and the world out there.
5 Things to Seek
- Spotted Hyena
- Tel: +27 (0)13 735 6012
Fax: +27 (0)13 735 6000
Mobile: 082 801 9898
- 18 x tent or caravan sites, with power point and rotating braai grids. Communal ablutions and cooking facilities (24-hour boiling water, electric hotplates and washing up facilities). Maximum of 6 persons per site.
- 8 x 2-bed permanent furnished canvas tents (one accessible to wheelchairs) with shower, a fridge, standing fan inside tent and small veranda. Communal ablutions and communal kitchens available.
- 20 x 2 or 3-bed units, equipped with en-suite bathrooms (showers, no baths) and air-conditioning. Kitchenettes have hotplates and sinks. Two units are fully accessible for people using wheelchairs.
Accommodation at Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp caters to a variety of guest requirements and is well suited for those Guests who are looking for a self-catering bushveld experience. Why rush? Stay longer!
To view the accommodation prices, refer to tariffs
Activities & Facilities
- Guided Bush Walks
- Game Drives (in the company of trained field guides)
- Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai (Barbecue). Includes game drive to venue. Confirm availability when booking.
- Lebombo Eco-Trail (pre-booked overnight activity)
These activities will ensure an exciting bush experience. All bookings, as well as further details for these activities are available from reception.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/levy-on-tariffs.inc.php'); ?>
- Information at Reception
- Public Telephone
- Post Box
- Shop, with small take-away food section
- No ATM facility available.
- Filling Station
- Communal Kitchens
- Communal Ablutions
- Cutlery and Plates Hampers (enquire at Reception)
- Basic First Aid Assistance
- Basic Day Visitor Picnic Area in camp
- Cellphone Reception
How to get there
Travel routes and times from central Gauteng
The closest airport to Crocodile Bridge is Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) that is situated between Nelspruit and White River.
KMIA is situated approximately 25km from Nelspruit and about 120km from Crocodile Bridge Gate. There are daily scheduled flights between KMIA and OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with less frequent flights from Cape Town and Durban International Airports respectively.
By Road: Crocodile Bridge Gate
Take the N4 to Nelspruit. Head through Nelspruit to Malelane and on to Komatipoort (about 110 km). Then turn left onto the R571 just after Komatipoort and head on to the gate. Allow between 5 to 6 hours for the trip to the gate. Crocodile Bridge camp is right at the gate.include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gate_times.inc.php'); include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/parks/includes/gps-coordinates.inc.php'); ?>
- General tariffs information
- 2014/2015 Tariffs
- Pensioners' discount
- Daily conservation fee
- Pre-booked/Advanced Reservations for Day Visits
- Tariffs for Kruger outdoor activities and guided game walks / drives
- View pictures and availability for Crocodile Bridge accommodation
Please ensure that your stay is happy and safe by taking note of a few simple warnings. You will be sharing your stay with many exciting and unusual creatures but without knowledge some of them could be dangerous:
- Bats, Spiders, Snakes, Scorpions, Malaria Zone
If you must walk around at night please DO NOT DO SO WITHOUT A TORCH.
Remember: by feeding any wildlife, you are signing their death warrant as they become aggressive!
Kruger National Park is in a summer rainfall area. Such precipitation is usually convectional and can result in heavy downpours. The summer months (October to April) are hot and often balmy. Winters are warm and mild, although visitors going on night-drives will require warm clothing.
Crocodile Bridge has a designated picnic area which, as the camp is also, an entrance gate to the Kruger National Park. It is an ideal spot for breakfasts for arriving visitors and farewell meals for departing visitors.
Flora and Fauna
Crocodile Bridge is in great game viewing country and is an ideal venue to pursue the big 5.
Both rhino species are regularly seen. Giraffe, zebra and several antelope species are usually seen within a few hundred meters of the camp gate. Lion, leopard and cheetah are all regularly recorded, while hyenas patrol the camp fence every night.
The camp is situated in knob thorn/marula savannah on basalt soils. Other prominent trees include the round-leafed teak. The grass is sweet and this attracts many grazing species. Immediately west is a zone of delagoa thorn thicket on ecca shale soil. Here prevalent trees include the delagoa thorn and the magic guarri. The grass is still sweet, but shorter. To the east of camp is the Lebombo mountain range, where the vegetation differs again.
(For more birding information and park bird checklist, go to Information for Birders)
Birding in Crocodile Bridge
A special to be looked for in this area is the Pink-throated Twinspot. Blackbellied Starlings have also been recorded in this region. It is also perhaps the only reliable place in the park to see Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird (Golden-rumped Tinker Barbet) The rest camp itself has a busy stream of bird activity, while the short drive down to the river causeway is always good for waterbirds.
People with disabilities
(Please see additional information on Wheelchair Accessibility)
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?