- Parks (A - Z)
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route (Tsitsikamma, Knysna, Wilderness) National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Wild Card
- Contact Us
Bontebok National Park
If you would like to make bookings or view availability for Golden Gate Hotel and Chalets, please click on the 'Make Reservation' button.
You can find more information on the booking process by clicking on 'More Info'.
The region has a temperate climate with an average rainfall of ± 500mm per annum, occurring mainly during early summer and winter.
Bontebok National Park is a great day-visit location. Recently upgraded day-visitor facilities include a rest camp and recreational braai facility called "Die Stroom".
The park is easily accessible from the N2 and because of its small size; visitors can drive around the whole park in a few hours. It is a great stopping point between Cape Town and the Garden Route, for a picnic, swim, or small hike to stretch the legs. It also offers passers-by and local residents a great braai location or a place to bring the kids.
Check-in and check-out times
- Check-in time: 14:00 p.m.
Check-out time: 09:00 a.m.
- 1 October to 30 April: 07:00 - 19:00
1 May to 30 September: 07:00 - 18:00
Internal Road Network
The park's internal roads and entry road from the N2 are gravel roads. The present road network provides two major game drive loops that can be completed in 1-2 hours respectively, depending on game viewing stops.
Powerboats and quad bikes are not allowed.
Motorcycles are allowed in the park.
The driving speed limit in the park is 40km/hr and in certain sections, 20km/hr. Visitors should adhere to these restrictions in order to safeguard the wildlife (big and small) in the park.
- To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the Rules and Regulations as stipulated by South African National Parks.
- The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.
Handy Tips & Hints
- Pets are not allowed in a national park.
- Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery) - South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
- As outdoor lighting in camps is limited, a torch/headlamp is required when walking outside at night.
- Firearms must be declared at reception where they will be sealed. The seal will be broken upon departure.
- No power boats on the river.
- No private generators allowed at caravan or campsites.
- Doctors, pharmacies, vehicle repair, fuel and police services are available in Swellendam.
- Picnic and braai/barbecue sites with ablution facilities are available for day and overnight visitors.
- Fresh produce and other groceries are available in Swellendam (5km from Park).
- No ATM facility, Fuel Station and Shop available in the park. All are available in Swellendam town (5km from the Park).
What visitors need to take (preparation for the trip)
- Remember to bring along a flashlight, grill, firewood, angling equipment, bathing suit, walking shoes, camera, binoculars and wildlife reference books.
- Consult the Swellendam Publicity Association or Tourism Office for places of interest and activities in and around the area.
For enquiries email Bontebok National Park or phone us on the following numbers:
- Tel: +27 28 514 2735
- Fax: +27 28 514 2646
Have a question? Why not ask at the forums?
Did You Know?
- The rest camp is named after the 'Hessekwa' khoi-khoi chieftainess called 'Lang Elsie