Parks Access Descriptions
Summary of Accessibility in SANParks for people with Mobility Difficulties
- Addo Elephant National Park
- Agulhas National Park
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Groenkloof National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Namaqua National Park
- Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
- Tankwa Karoo National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tsitsikamma Section of GRNP
- West Coast National Park
- Wilderness & Knysna Sections of GRNP
The following information reflects a condensed version of the adapted accessible units for persons with physical disabilities or difficulties, as well as other access features.
- Two 3-bed chalets with access ramps (steep descent from parking area) and accessible ablutions (both roll-in shower and bath available).
- Three 2-bed cottages are also friendly to the mobility impaired (roll-in shower). Additionally the guesthouses have ramped access (very steep descent from parking area). Only the bath will be accessible to wheelchair users in these guesthouses, but no assisting handrails are present.
- 2 of the cottages are accessible to people with mobility impairment. Their ablutions also have roll-in showers.
- Discovery Trail – unique opportunity for wheelchair users to do a short boarded trail through the succulent valley thicket of Addo and learn about the Addo ecosystem. Parking and Toilets for Wheelchair users.
- The bird hide is wheelchair friendly.
- The camp waterhole (floodlit) is also wheelchair friendly.
- The underground hide at this venue has ramped access.
- Accessible ablutions are available at the reception/shop/restaurant block.
No park run accommodation is available in this park as at May 2008, but some should be available in the future. Assistance is required to visit day-visitor features such as the lighthouse and its museum or the southern tip of Africa. With upcoming developments in the park, this situation is going to change in the foreseeable future.
- Two 3-bed chalets with accessible ablutions (roll-in shower).
The reception, shop, information displays, cafeteria and boma are all paved and ramped and accessible ablutions are available, but the restaurant proper is up stairs. After many years with limited access to the Falls, a superb boardwalk and series of viewing platforms was built during 2005. Although the natural terrain makes the gradient steep in parts, wheelchair users can now enjoy great views of the falls either independently or with minimum assistance.
- 2 chalets with 2 beds and a double sleeper couch – units have roll-in showers
It is not known if Camdeboo has any wheelchair access. Information will be updated as and when it becomes available.
SANParks walk in reservations office at their head office in Groenkloof, Pretoria is wheelchair friendly. There are 2 wheelchair parking bays (although they are narrower than the required standards) and an access ramped pathway into the building. There is also an accessible ablution for wheelchair users.
The administration offices can be accessed by a wheelchair user through a back door entrance (there is a sign). A couple of the staff in the offices are in wheelchairs and there are ablutions for wheelchairs on level 2 outside the reservations call centre.
Glen Reenen Camp:
- One accessible rondawel sleeping 4 (2 beds in loft); one accessible longdawel sleeping 2 (with TV) and one accessible family cottage - all these units have roll-in showers in their ablutions.
Mountain Retreat Camp:
- One log cottage is accessible (double bed and 2 singles) and has a roll-in shower.
The Brandwag Hotel and Chalets:
- Two chalets (sleeping four) with access ramps and accessible ablutions (roll-in shower) are available, while those people who are able to transfer into and out of baths may find the hotel rooms appropriate. Improvements are due to be made during the 2nd half of 2008.
- Two 3-bed chalets and one 6-bed family cottage have access ramps and accessible ablutions (roll-in showers in the chalets and bath in the family cottage). There is also an accessible ablution (roll-in shower) at the campsite.
- The campsite is an excellent place for a wheelchair user to view nature from a flat and firm surface. The camp is full of bird life and there are several tortoises (5 species are indigenous to the park) that wander across the lawns. There is also an accessible fossil trail adjacent to the main camp, which can be accessed by the physically and visually impaired.
- Two chalets at Twee Rivieren; 2 chalets at Nossob; one reed-cabin at Bitterpan, one sand-cabin at Grootkolk; one cabin at Kieliekrankie; two desert tents at Kalahari Tented Camp have access ramps and accessible ablutions (roll-in shower).
- There are also accessible ablution blocks (roll-in shower) at Twee Rivieren and Nossob Camp for campers. Mata-Mata has an accessible public toilet.
- Urikaruus, up on stilts and Gharagab, on top of a sand dune (4x4 only) have no accessible units.
- The park’s appeal is certainly its wilderness. Limited facilities exist for all guests. The predator centre and hide at Nossob and the information centre at Twee Rivieren are all accessible.
See separate section that follows.
- At Leokwe Camp there are 2 x 2 bed cottages with a shower and toilet for the physically disabled persons.
- At Limopo Forest Tented Camp there is one Semi-Luxury Forest tent; 2 bed-bedroom, a kitchen and shower and toilet for the physically disabled.
- Wheelchair friendly ablutions at Mazhou Camping Site.
- Limpopo tree top boardwalk.
- 3 country confluence viewing decks and pathway (pathway is of compacted earth which may erode in places.
- Main gate has accessible ablutions and access ramps.
- Note that Maloutswa Hide is not fully accessible, but the park has plans to make it so.
- One safari tent with access ramps and accessible ablutions (roll-in shower) is available at Tlopi Camp. One of the ablutions at Bontle Camping Site is equipped with accessible toilet and roll-in shower. There is also an accessible toilet at the main entrance gate and reception.
- Activities and additional facilities in the park are currently limited for everyone, but the park environment, especially the drive up to the towers, and the world’s largest Cape Vulture Colony is appealing to everyone. There is a place at the top where everyone can disembark, and although wheelchair users cannot get to the edge of the cliffs, they can move around a bit.
- No accommodation is currently adapted. There is a portable ramp at Mosu Lodge, but the ablutions are not wheelchair friendly.
- 2 4-bed family cottages with roll-in showers.
No park run accommodation is available but some is planned to be added in 2006 or 2007. There is an accessible toilet at the park's offices.
There are accessible accommodation units at the park’s two wilderness camps: Tatasberg and Ganakouriep. Both these units have roll-in showers. There is currently no accessible accommodation at the main camp at Sendelingsdrif, but this omission will hopefully be corrected soon.
Apart from a recently opened guesthouse with no formal accessibility adaptations, the park only offers day visitor facilities. However plenty of privately run accommodation is available in the Cape Town area.
Accessible ablutions, boardwalks, cable cars, ramps and other facilities are available at Boulders Beach, Cape Point, Table Mountain and various other locations. The most recent addition is a boardwalk around Silvermine Reservoir, which allows for universal access.
One accessible unit with roll-in shower .
Storms River Camp:
one 4-bed oceanette has accessible ablutions (roll-in shower); 2 chalets with roll-in showers; one ablution block in the camping area has a wheelchair ablution (roll-in shower).
At Nature’s Valley there are currently no adapted accessible units.
The park’s accessibility highlight is a trail in the Nature’s Valley section adjacent the Groot River. The trail comprises of a polywood boardwalk suitable for wheelchairs and allows one to get into the forest and pass alongside the river.
In the Storms River section there is ramped access, parking and an accessible toilet at the park’s main entrance gate. The restaurant and cafeteria deck have access ramps and an accessible toilet. Activity opportunities are limited, although the park management is willing to help persons with disabilities who would like to try snorkelling, scuba-diving or canoeing and will provide help if requested. The boat ride up the Storms River Gorge is also a potential option to those who are willing.
The cottage at Abrahamskraal has one of its ablutions equipped with a roll-in shower and grab rails next to the toilet.
At the community run Duinepos Camp there is also a unit adapted for wheelchair use.
The Geelbek Bird Hide, while weathered and in need of refurbishment, a wooden boardwalk provide access to this facility – at low and incoming tide this is one of the best wader watching venues in the world. Geelbek restaurant is partially accessible.
- At Ebb and Flow South Camp, one 4-bed family cottage with ramps and accessible ablutions (roll-in shower), one ramped 2-bed forest cabin (ablutions unsuitable, but camping ablutions are a few metres away) and an accessible ablution block for campers (roll-in shower). The southerly ablutions at Ebb and Flow North Camp are labelled as accessible, but need to be further adapted to make them properly accessible.
- The boardwalk along the Touws River allows one a close exposure to the river ecosystem. Although in need of refurbishment, parts are accessible to people in wheelchairs.
- Although not specifically built for wheelchair users, the pathway across the railway line and through the camping site adjacent the Touws River moves through a picturesque ravine and at its northern end allows for access into the forest fringe. It is a pleasant environment for wheelchair users.
- There are many activities offered in the area by independent parties. Many of these are fully or partially accessible.
Browse accommodation and activities availability, and book online via our secure payment system and get 5% discount (excludes activities)
- Addo Cam 03/07/2015
Posted by: MATTHYS on 3rd July 2015
- Orpen Cam 03/07/2015
Posted by: melph68 on 3rd July 2015
- Nossob Cam 03/07/2015
Posted by: melph68 on 3rd July 2015