Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:27 pm 

After my Kruger report, here is my Mapungubwe report:
We spent 4 days in Mapungubwe from March 11th to 14th.
We stayed at Lekwe camp in a family cottage. The architecture of the cottages is superb as the furniture, and the swimming pool is more than beautiful nested in the middle of rocks.
The first afternoon we went to confluence viewpoint with our appetizer drinks and spent maybe 2 hours watching the scenery around so it was amazing: The very green bush, the Limpopo and Shashe rivers flowing, the colours of the sky in the sunset, and the sound of the bush.
All this majesty was only for us, as we were alone.
We came back early morning the next day for sunrise and enjoyed again with different colours. After that we went on the archaeology drive to Mapungubwe historical site. It was interesting but there are not a lot of things to see on the site because all have been removed to Pretoria, and also maybe our guide was not really fascinating, the tour was on my opinion too formal.
In the afternoon after a nice swim in the camp’s pool we tried to explore the Eastern part of the park.(many of the roads are for 4X4 only) but we took few of them with our Condor and as it was dry we did not met any problems.
Now the game: As in the Kruger the grass is so tall that you have to very lucky with game viewing, but at least we spotted: Gemsboks, Klipspringers, Bushbucks, waterbucks, Elands, Kudus, Zebras, Giraffes, Red Hartebeests, Baboons… No Elephants maybe because they don’t need and can’t cross the rivers as they find water everywhere at the moment. Even the drops on the roads were old.
Birds: I’m not very good with birds also because it is difficult to remember the English names. We saw plenty carmine and White fronted bee eaters.
The last afternoon clouds came back with a big storm and lightning. The rain stopped in the early next morning and we left the camp with sun. As we were going to Pont Drift we decided to go to Maloustwa bird hide. The roads in the western part were muddy and slippery and…we got stuck in the middle of nowhere! It took about one hour to get out of the mud, using the little jack and putting branches under the wheels…and we did it!
After that we must go 25 km back up to the tarred road because it was impossible to reach Pont Drift using Dan Staat road as it was impracticable with our 2X4 Condor.
African adventures!
To sum up: Mapunguwe is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen.
Without rain I think that all the roads are accessible with a sedan car with high clearance.
SanParks should make few more roads to explore the park as at the moment there are not many options.
If the transfrontier park is created with Tuli it will become one of the South African park highlights.
You have to go there now before everybody know how fantastic it is!

South Africa again in November 2012. A week in the Kruger and more...

Last edited by papop on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:28 pm 

I put few pictures of our Mapungubwe trip here: http://voyages-sophie.blogspot.com/
More will be coming soon...

South Africa again in November 2012. A week in the Kruger and more...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]