Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Getaway Guide to Wildlife Photography by Nigel Dennis
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:00 pm 

I bought this book about a year ago in CT at Exclusive Books - cost R82.00.

It is a good read for those of us who are novice wildlife photographers. It has tips on which are the prime photographic reserves in SA (mostly SANParks' reserves! :D )and game viewing tips for better photographs apart from covering photo techniques, equipment etc.

(I hope that this book is not mentioned in another thread - I have tried to see if it has been and have not found a mention of it.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:21 pm 

i was tempted to buy this book, but was given the Richard Du Toit one and found it just as good, almost identicle so didn't bother buying the Nigel Dennis one...which looked a lot less durable. Just the nice thing about Richard Du Toit's book is that it is compact and fits into my camera bag, his book covers all aspects of wildlife photography.....and at about R90 it is a steal. but as i say they are almost identicle.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:27 pm 

Pac wrote:
i was tempted to buy this book, but was given the Richard Du Toit one and found it just as good, almost identicle so didn't bother buying the Nigel Dennis one...which looked a lot less durable. Just the nice thing about Richard Du Toit's book is that it is compact and fits into my camera bag, his book covers all aspects of wildlife photography.....and at about R90 it is a steal. but as i say they are almost identicle.

Pac

Yes you are right, they are. I have both. What I like about Richard Du Toit is that is promotes taking wildlife pics without any interference whatsoever of the subject.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:43 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
Yes you are right, they are. I have both. What I like about Richard Du Toit is that is promotes taking wildlife pics without any interference whatsoever of the subject.

ya you are right, that is they way it should be done. it also gives great info about travveling and equipment etc....although i think he shoots with Canon :x ...poor soul :roll:
Does Daryl Balfour have a book out? because he is definetly one of the best if not the best in the wildlife photography section....yet i can find very little info on him.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pac wrote:
DinkyBird wrote:

ya you are right, that is they way it should be done. it also gives great info about travveling and equipment etc....although i think he shoots with Canon :x ...poor soul :roll:
Does Daryl Balfour have a book out? because he is definetly one of the best if not the best in the wildlife photography section....yet i can find very little info on him.

Pac

I got a nice Daryl Balfour "magazine" type thingy done with Africa Geographic in December from CNA. Although it won't fit in the camera bag and didn't have anything revolutionary in it, I did find it quite enjoyable.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:44 pm 

oh ya i have seen that aswell, didn't look to convincing so i didn't bother buying it. but did Daryl Balfour ever publish his work on the 'Big Tuskers' because i remember he got attacked by i think Tshokwane while photographing him.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg wrote:
I got a nice Daryl Balfour "magazine" type thingy done with Africa Geographic in December from CNA. Although it won't fit in the camera bag and didn't have anything revolutionary in it, I did find it quite enjoyable.

I've got that one too Meg. Very nice.
Incidentally, I bought the Nigel Dennis one today. A quick browse reveals that they are essentially the same book although, as anyone if photography will tell you, it is a life long learning curve and you will always glean something you didn't know. I believe reading what the pro's say will always enrich your photography. They offer tips on lighting, exposure and composition that are different but all great ways to get exciting results. I'm going to have a read of Nigels one tonight. If there is one thing that they all agree on: Dont skimp on lenses!

regards

bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've had the book for about a year and a half now. I'm way too embarrassed to even show you my first attempts at Wildlife Photography - had no idea what I was doing! :lol: Got hold of this book and it made a huge difference. All the pics on the forum which I took were taken with this book's help. I carry it with me everywhere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
Meg wrote:

Incidentally, I bought the Nigel Dennis one today. A quick browse reveals that they are essentially the same book although, as anyone if photography will tell you, it is a life long learning curve and you will always glean something you didn't know. I believe reading what the pro's say will always enrich your photography. They offer tips on lighting, exposure and composition that are different but all great ways to get exciting results. I'm going to have a read of Nigels one tonight. If there is one thing that they all agree on: Dont skimp on lenses!

regards

bwana

Yup, yup, photographers should all be born into families of oil sheiks :lol: . Did you have a look at that camera simulator I posted elsewhere on here? Quite fun for playing with effects :D

If you missed it I'll dig it back out of my favourites again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:35 pm 

bwana wrote:
If there is one thing that they all agree on: Dont skimp on lenses!
bwana

Hi Bwana

That is a given fact.I see it often that people buy expensive cameras and not invest in lenses.
The lens is at the heart of sharp photos.
To pay something like 40-80 000 Rand for lenses sound ridiculous but I always think of it this way: Everbody buys ski-boats, quads bikes, Harley Davidsons and so many other toys and nobody ever even think twice.
Why don't they take their photography serious and buy the best glass.
It is wierd hey?
About the books: I have also read all 3 and my recommendation is Richard ,Darell and then Nigel.
Not to say it as one is better photographer than other,I have the world of respect for all but I think the outlay of the books and the information and the way it is portrayed, put the books in that order of my recommendation.
There are numerous hard cover wildlife books as well but I have read quite a nice one recently that almost gives a workshop and is ideal for beginners to intermediate level photographers. It is written by Steve and Ann Toon and the titel is Wildlife photography Workshop.
But the most important fact is to be out there and burn film .If we are not there we cannot get the shots.As simple as that.
I have given a lot of workshops myself and that is always the problem with the students they(we) get the tips and advice but don't get enough time to pratice it.
So let me stop talking and plan a trip. LOL

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Meg wrote:
bwana wrote:
Meg wrote:

regards

bwana

Yup, yup, photographers should all be born into families of oil sheiks :lol: . Did you have a look at that camera simulator I posted elsewhere on here? Quite fun for playing with effects :D

If you missed it I'll dig it back out of my favourites again.

Hi Meg

I seemed to have missed it!Can you post a link here, please? Look out for a PM later tonight too. I got yours, but will need time to write back. I am so busy at work that I think this might be my last post in the day for about a month. Will be on at night though.

till later

regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
Hi Meg

I seemed to have missed it!Can you post a link here, please? Look out for a PM later tonight too. I got yours, but will need time to write back. I am so busy at work that I think this might be my last post in the day for about a month. Will be on at night though.

till later

regards
bwana

Here ya go: http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php

Sorry to hear you're so busy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:53 pm 

Thanx for that Meg. will deff fiddle round there.

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Pac wrote:
Thanx for that Meg. will deff fiddle round there.

Pac

My pleasure - have fun with it! Although it's not terribly complicated it must have taken that chap a long time to make!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Awww....all I get is little crosses instead of pics. I thought at first that my computer wouldn't accept .png files but that isn't the case. Anyone else have the same problem? Shame...kind of looks like a cool little tool to play around with.