Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Indian Mynah's in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In January 2013 I noticed a pair of Indian Mynahs at Sunset Dam by Lower Sabie. This January I saw a flock of 5 birds behaving like oxpeckers on a Buffalo lying in the Sabie River. The population appears to be growing and knowing how destructive these birds have been to urban birdlife in Durban I would like to know if SANPARKS is planning on erradicating this invasive species?

Post subject: Re: Indian Mynah's in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I dont know how you could go about "erradicating" them. There are a heck of a lot of them and they will go wherever I guess. But anyway, if anyone knows how to get rid of them, please let me know.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think their numbers are still small enough in KNP for something to be done... unfortunately if they get a breeding foothold in Kruger the numbers will grow exponentially and an ecological disaster may well occur.
I am not sure if anyone knows of any studies done regarding this species and the detrimental impact it has not only on native bird species but also on their food sources.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Seanp, I am not sure of studies done specific to South Africa, however in Australia where we have a real problem with these birds, many studies on their impacts to native species have been undertaken. The conclusions are that these birds are a real threat to native species. They take over nesting sites, displacing the native birds and also feeding sites through aggressive territorial take overs. They are an incredibly adaptable species and therefore can survive and thrive in a range of habitats, thereby threatening the survival of many native species of birds. This in turn can have flow on ramifications on other species and vegetation within those habitats.

Thanks for bringing this up - ecologists in the park may already be aware and working on the problem :hmz:
Would be interesting to see how they approach this 'problem'.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi.

Yes you are right, and there is even a small printout at Punda Camp about these birds. I stay in Thohoyandou which is about 65Kms from Punda Gate, and there is a lot of them in town as well. They have invaded and they are striving in South Africa.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They have been seen along the H1-8 between Baobab Hill and Klopperfontein, which would indicate that they are already colonizing the length and breadth of the park.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Would it not be more feasable to control them before the population explodes?

I would imagine they will become a pest around the camps, but will stay away from uninhabited areas?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:10 pm 

Agree Mcook, the most effective way to eradicate them will be to shoot them, but unfortunately mankind would rather whole eco systems go down in flames before controlling certain animal numbers

Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Skukuza 3 April 2015 to 6 April 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm 

I live in Durban and you must watch where you park at night as the mynahs roost by the thousands in one or a few trees together and you could end up with a very messey and stained car. The mynah are part of the starling family and i know the Red wing starling roost in large flocks aswell.
Im sure some sort of net device can be setup and triggered to trap the birds in the tree and then disposed of , i have seen this net device used in a documentry some years ago.
The only problem is mynahs are very cunning and smart so it could be a very big task to carry out.
I think mynahs have developed a symbiosis with man and in kruger they will stay close to camps, picnick spots and dump sites. I dont think they will venture far from these and only when moving from one area to another.
In November 2012 i saw mynahs in Komatipoort so it wont take long for them to reach say Lower Sabie.
I am sure KNP have an impact study on the invasion of these birds into the park at present, and if not they should start soon.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mcook wrote:

There are “Mynah” traps available, but one can’t target the Mynah only with this method. There are also poison options, but the same applies.

The only effective way to target and eradicate them is to shoot them and this then opens another can of worms :hmz:

I'd imagine shooting them would be the best option. :sniper:
Less chance of "collateral damage"

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Personally, I would love to hear the official position. Preferably sooner than later.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I know that most people who go to Kruger are nature lovers and would simply perish at the thought of these birds getting shot... Unfortunately we either eradicate these birds or they will eradicate many of the more vulnerable species of NOT only bird... but indeed may also cause harm to the insect population... having a knock-on effect that ultimately may disrupt the entire balance of the Kruger ecosystem! Indian Mynahs are creatures of habit,,, their behavior is predictable and I believe with a little insight and the right tools an ecological disaster may be avoided! I hereby tender for the preliminary study, drawing up an appropriate action plan and finally the follow through of this approved plan! PM me SANPARKS - I may just be serious! This epidemic may be as serious... if not more so than the Rhino issue!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I'm not very fond of Mynahs but I do wonder about the fairness of "erradicating" them. After all, they were introduced here by people. Not that I have an alternative. Just seems a bit nuts that we create a problem and then make another species take the punch while we sort it out.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm 

If we define fair or unfair by looking where people influenced the outcome we'll never stop talking and debating issues. Bottomline is, they are destroying ecosystems wherever they go so to be fair we should be eradicating them wherever they go in my opinion.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:06 pm 

Just on our recent visit in Olifants camps I saw a notice on the board outside reception asking visitors to report any sightings of them immediately, so it seems they are aware of the problem.
Another topic Common Mynah