Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: moobox's few nights in Skukuza. Dec. '13
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

And it was quite warm. Just a few things to mention. I havent been following closely but I didnt see any new food places and had a bash at the old and it aint so great hey.

I saw protection services guys trapping people on their way back to camp a lot but during the day the road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie is a free-for-all. The speed limit sign she is just opinion. And that seems to be OK for staff, tour operator and visitor vehicles. And lots of the cars and those hi-rise multi-seater vehicles race back and forth like they know there's something on the go somewhere. But it was hectic so I just got off it.

I'm not so hot at game spotting. I look at the map with sightings and seems like people are seeing things like crazy. But I saw enough I reckon. Dogs, a leopard, elephants and so forth. And then when I went on my 4.30 drive this morning (because the others dont get up that early, I go alone), I came across this lion lying flat on his side next to the road. There was another car there and we watched for a while but I thought there's something wrong here. And the guy just sort of looked up after a while and put his head down again. Then after another while he got up and walked slowly into the bush. I dont know if he was sick or old but he didnt look in any great shape.

Now here is a question if anyone can give me a pointer please. There is something that screams in the camp. To me it sounds pretty eerie but it is a loud scream or call or whatever you want to call it. I thought it's a bird but I dont think so anymore. Because last night when everyone was sleeping, I thought I'd step outside and record some of the night sounds (including whatever makes this loud shout or scream which was happening pretty much above my head I thought. Seems I thought right because as I opened the outside gauze door thing, something is sort of cack-cack cackling and jumps off the roof and into the tree and goes jumping through the tree branches onto the next rondawel roof and gone. I jumped just as quickly back into the rondawel and locked up and went to bed. Can anyone give me an idea what this creature could have been please?

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: A few nights in Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

RosemaryH wrote:
Not perhaps a Bushbaby moobox?

Thick tailed Bushbaby

Lesser Bushbaby

Yip, I'm, thinking that it was the thick tailed one. I've got an ipad app that lists it so I took a listen to the call. At the time it just seemed a lot louder and sort of imposing. Thanks,

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So, did I mention that I saw a sick lion. Either that or he is old. I didnt get a good pic before he just got up and walked away into the bush. It was still quite dark.
And seems the buffalo also seen better days hey.
I dont know what they are but they are digging around in the mud for foodstuff.
A big duck and a small duck who dont mind being together.
Mike and the Mechanics
Is this a Steenbok? I honestly dont know. He was standing next to the road for a long time and noone was interested in him but I think he is too grand.
And this also quite wonderfrul to sit and watch but some big car nearly whacked them.
Sorry, I dont know the names of all these animals. I'll find out sometime.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
From the top moobox,
Lion
Cape buffalo
Unidentified bums
Egyptian goose & African jacana
African darter
Steenbok
Crested francolin

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks BB. Always such a sweat to go and try and find out what I see. MM, I dont know. My pics arent so good and anyway, I dont take pics of everything - I forget to. And anyway, the stuff that I stop and look at seem to make people quite agitated so I've got a bit of a complex about it hey.

By the way, is it normal to see so many tortoises dead on the road. I mean, I know that they are smallish but on 15 and 16 December I saw so many of them flattened and bleeding on the roads around Skukuza it's quite unbelievable. And they arent invisible!! I was wondering if you get people that do this deliberately.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I couldnt figure if there was something wrong with this little elephant or if it was just resting. A bigger elephant came over and stood over it and sort of nudged it around a bit. But it doesnt look like it is unwell or anything hey?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Now that is cute.

I have often seen adults provide shade for resting baby ellies. This was on the road between Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
so fast asleep.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, thanks Barryels. But I'm pretty devious hey. Getting forum members to feed me the info that I want.

Just something that happened on the Sunday and I wasnt sure what to do or how to handle it. I was back from a morning drive and it was about 7.30 or so. And a real skadonk of a car drives up and stops at the rondavel next to ours. And out gets a guy and his wife and they go over to the fire that was still smouldering. And they blow it up and feed it and setup a bit of a picnic and braai and so forth and a few hours later they're gone again. When I asked the guy what this was all about he said that they were in Pretoriouskop and had no place there for making a fire. So I reckon he was a day visitor not to keen on the day visitor facilities at Skukuza. What would you do? I thought about reporting it but then again they werent making a noise or anything. But it does raise a concern though doesnt it?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]