Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: New Franchises for Restaurants in KNP.
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Forumites;

The tender process was followed to source franchised brands for most of the camps in the Kruger National Park. SANParks is of the view that the standards enforced by the franchisor will ensure that product range, quality and service of the dining product will improve vastly (in line with what is offered at similar brands outside National Parks). SANParks is currently in discussions with the current operator and the new operators to determine the handover processes and dates. Preliminary discussions showed that it might be best to do the handover in January and February 2014 as the park is least busy over this period. However, more details will be made available once the discussions are concluded.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Post subject: WHAT DID I MISS
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:19 pm 

To ensure quality and consistency the franchise holders should be kept to a certain standard with spot checks (incognito) being made on a regular basis.

If the food and/or service is found to be continually below acceptable standards (Hey we all have bad days) then the franchise holder could actually lose the franchise - this would keep them on their toes and make sure that the staff is properly trained and instructed in customer service.

Prices should also be reasonable - I have been in business for many years and have always found that if you offer quality at an acceptable price you will attract a lot more customers and therefore make up for what you might lose by charging exorbitant prices. :D

Post subject: Re: What would you like to see?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:04 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Saraf, 100% behind you on the vegetarian option. :thumbs_up: Although I do eat meat, I often just feel like a meatless meal. There are also a lot more different cultural/religious groups visiting and they need to be considered.

Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Porridge wrote:
The restaurant at Mopani is run by a crowd called Ndlovu (sp?) and the food is absolutely brilliant :)

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Thanks for that Porridge :dance: . We've booked Christmas lunch at Mopani as suggested by friends, and now I am looking forward to it even more :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

From what the current manager said when we spoke earlier this year, this restaurant will remain as it is for the foreseeable future, as it had recently gone under new management, and was not part of "Compass" anymore. :dance:

The changes will happen at the other restaurants, throughout the park.

However, maybe I got it wrong. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm 

Media Release

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Post subject: Re: Restaurants/Menus at Kruger Restcamps.
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
For us foreigners, could someone give a brief overview of these uniquely SA brands? I don't think I've used a M&B and the Wimpy you have are not quite the same as the Wimpy's here in the UK?

Hi saraf,

Mugg & Bean's is a "sit down and chat for hours" kind of restaurant with great variety and quality. Lots of vegetarian options. Some examples from the menu:
Breakfast: e.g. "Something salmon" - scrambled eggs with smoked salmon trout and hash browns on a bed of rocket with grilled tomoto and spring onions; "Breakfast stack" - Brown mushrooms served on a bed of fresh rocket and baby marrow fritters topped with mozarella cheese, basil pesto and a poached egg
Café sandwiches: e.g. "Portabella picnic sarmie" - pan-fried brown mushrooms, grilled baby marrows, roasted peppers, fresh rocket, herb mayo, and onion rings on a toasted ciabbatta;
Wraps: e.g. "Mexican fiesta" - a cool mix of lettuce, beef strips, guacamole, corn, salsa and grated cheese
Soups: e.g. "Boston Clam Chowder" - a traditional thick and creamy white chowder with clams, bacon, potato and thyme. Served with toasted ciabatta.
Classic salads: e.g. "Chopstix chicken salad" - sticky ginger-glazed chicken pieces with mixed lettuce, orange segments, red onion, bean sprouts and carrot shavings served with glass noodles and an oriental dressing
Signature salads: e.g. "The original cobb salad" - a classic, with layers of avo, tomato, back bacon bits, chicken, hard-boiled eggs and blue cheese on a bed of greens with toasted tortilla wedges and a creamy rich Ranch dressing.
Heavier evening meals include meals with names such as: "Welsh rarebit crumbed chicken", "Blue cheese crumbed chicken"; "Beef and chicken enchilada". There are also pies such as the vegan "Thai squash pie" and a "Beef & mushroom pastry melt", and pot pies such as "Spicy sausage & butter beans" and "Chicken & leek".

The above is just a small sample of the meals on their current menu, which you can find on the internet.

Wimpy is a fast food chain. I cannot complain too much about the quality of their food, although it is not nearly as great as that of M&B in my opinion. I actually like to have a Wimpy toasted sarmie and the legendary Wimpy coffee while on the road. The menu is dominated by the typical breakfast foods and things like cheese burger, Wimpy burger, toasted sarmies with various fillings (all available on their own or with chips); a couple of more "healthy" meals in the form of fish and salad or chicken breasts and salad, calamari salad. Thus much less variety and not nearly the same eating experience as at M&B. It's were I'll buy a take-away toasted sarmie to eat in the car while out driving, looking for nice sightings :lol:

Of course, it is likely that the whole M&B menu will not be available at KNP, and they may even make a few dishes specially designed for the Park :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
FAC Member (2014)
Currently and in the past , you never knew what you would get on your plate Image
Now with these new franchises , you should have no doubt what you will get on your plate.
I am sure there will be a major improvement for those of you who do not self cater all the time like I do.
I must say that I think I might be tempted to try a meal or to, when I am next there.
I say , lets give them all a fair chance to produce the goods :thumbs_up:
We all still have the option of self catering for those who do not like these particular franchises.
With the strict quality controls the franchisor's hold on these restaurant owners, its will be a case of " do it our way, to our standards or move along"

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm 

Congratulations SANParks on your choices of restaurants/restauranteers :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: . I'm pleased to see that one of my favourites has been include. No names as I do not want to start a frenzy as to which is better than which.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm 

Well I think it is a positive move - even Wimpy is a huge improvement on what is being dished up at some of the camps at the moment. Actually it s not just about the food - the attitude at some camp restaurants leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully the big franchises will sort that out. The extra litter load concerns me a bit with take-aways especially but its all about education isn't it.
I say well done Sanparks - a move in the right direction.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm 

Well done SANParks. :great: :great: :great: Your choices are good and will cater for all food tastes.
Let us not start a feeding frenzy a to which eating place is better than another.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm 

I also think this is a positive move. The smaller independent contractors have not been providing service delivery of an acceptable quality. I trust these larger franchises will be held accountable for providing quality service. Also, it provides customers with a wider choice - a welcome move. I trust the design of the facilities will be in keeping with the general atmosphere of the park.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Well I for one can't wait for Mugg & bean to come to Letaba, as we eat there such a lot, when resident in Phalaborwa!!!! :dance: :dance:

Also very happy with Wimpy for a good, hot, tasty and inexpensive breakfast/brunch/lunch. :thumbs_up:

Well done SANParks...............bring it on!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:dance: A HUGE :thumbs_up: from the two of us.

Two of our favorite food chains which we happily use wherever we see them in SA.

Looking forward to supporting them next year.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:19 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I feel we have all been complaining about the food and service at the restaurants, at least Sanparks have done something positive, anything would be an improvement
Mugg & Bean and Wimpy together offer a variety of dishes which should satisfy most peoples needs, much better than the food that is currently on offer I think.
Let's embrace the changes and give these new restaurants a fair chance :dance: :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next