SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: ROAD CARNAGE IN KRUGER
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ROAD CARNAGE IN KRUGER

Kruger National Park is about animals. To visit the Park is a privilege not every one has. Those who have been there know what a great experience it is to watch the animals in their natural surroundings.

Some people unfortunately do not obey the rules. The rules are there for very good reasons. We are the visitors, the tourists, the outsiders who must respect the right of the animals in the Park and especially on the roads.

I want to tell this very, very sad story.

On 9 September 2013 we left Lower Sabie to drive to Crocodile Bridge on the H4-2. At 9.30 am we came across a family of warthogs.
I quickly took this picture before they disappeared into the bush.

On 16 September 2013 we took the same road to Crocodile Bridge (H4-2) At 9.15 am we came upon this carnage. Two little warthogs killed on the road. The one still having a convulsion before it died. Whether it is the same little warthogs I do not know. It may be the same pair, now lying dead near each other.

It was a most upsetting scene. I can still see them running behind their mother with their tails straight up in the air ……
The next moment a car driving too fast killing them.

PLEASE, PLEASE OBEY THE TRAFFIC RULES.

On 12 September 2013 at 17.00 on the H4-1 we also came across this little monkey.
This means in less than a week we came across 3 little animals that were killed on the road by vehicles (cars or delivery vans).

This is unacceptable.

Please report to the authorities whenever you see people driving too fast or are responsible for killing animals by driving too fast.

Post subject: Re: ROAD CARNAGE IN KRUGER
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Things like this anger and sadden me.

Such unnecessary deaths :( :(

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 am 

I really shouldn't see things like this. It works me up so much and raises my blood pressure to the point of a near stroke! :evil:

WTF are people driving so quickly in KNP? There should be no reason (official or not) to be going that fast, that stopping for animals is not possible.

:rtm: Read the signs and rules, OBEY them, or stay the hell out of OUR parks!

Stand Fast

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maybe graphic photos like this should be posted below the speed limit signs to make more of an impression!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am 

I agree Kite, lets hope some of those who do speed in our parks see this and think twice.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This saddens me to see :( ..... as it is totally unnecessary. :evil:

"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."~ Native American (Huron) Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Janeli thank you for creating awareness of this carnage in Kruger. I do hope your post will make a difference and that people who break the rules will be called to order.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Incredibly sad and its not getting any better - this same scenario has been playing itself out over and over again.
Delivery trucks are doing insane speeds - we worked out that one that we saw repeatedly on the S28 (why they would need to be on a dirt road I do not know) was doing in excess of 80 klms an hour.
The road between Paul Kruger Gate and either the staff village or Skukuza camp is another eye opener.
None of the vehicles being driven by staff who are going to work carry the sticker on the side of their vehicles and they are all doing well over 65 klms per hour.
The rule that staff vehicles are allowed to do this speed I thought applied to official Sanparks vehicles or staff's personal vehicles with the sticker on the doors.
It is almost a physical impossibility to stop to check out a sighting on this road due to the crazy speeds that are being driven.
This is not scandal mongering I have seen it with my own eyes 3 weeks ago.
Aside from delivery vehicles and staff the other main culprits appear to be hire cars with overseas tourists who simply do not know the rules and neither has there been any attempt made to explain this to them.
Very grave problem and I do not know how it is going to be resolved!

6.01.15 Elephant Walk Retreat
7.01.15 to 09.01.15 Satara
09.01.15 - 16.01.15 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Words fail me, it is just horrific to see such pictures, there is no need to speed at such a rate that animals are not safe, this is as bad or worse than any Hit and Run anywhere.

I hope the folk that speed are found out and fined heavily.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

Have just come back from the park. Cannot tell you how many times I witnessed people speeding, far more than usual. Sanparks are going to have to address this problem before more of the above disturbing photos become common place. More traps, more cameras, I don't know the answer. I am however highly suspicious of 5 male young men in BMW'S driving at such speeds that when they are forced to stop to avoid a near collision that they cause skid marks in the road. What are they doing there? Certainly not for the love of the bush. Are they spotting potential poaching sites ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:45 pm 

Thought you might like to see this article that features our very own Stephens.

Kruger Fines Stack Up High

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I dont like to complain. But I'm going to complain. I'll tell you what I have seen. I have seen these chaps who look like a mixture of game ranger and metro cops hanging around camp all day. This was at Pretoriouskop. And I was wondering who the heck they were and what are they doing here? And so we went off to a dam out on the Skukuza road (sorry I dont know the official names of the roads). And then we decided to head back because it was getting closer to gate closing time. And travelling pretty close to 50 km/h but never over. And coming up a rise and lo and behold, there is one of these chaps with a radar gun pointing at the cars heading back to camp to make the gate in time. And they catch dozens by the looks of things.

So, we shouldnt be speeding. Not even to get back to camp in time. But that just strikes me as a bit nasty. I mean most of the folks arent they that tear up and down all day. Someone may just be doing a little over the limit to get bacjk to the camp in time becasue he or she forgot to watch the clock at an interesting siting. And then to hang around in camp all day and just wait for later for the easy pickings - not right hey.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 am 

I'm sorry but I have to say this, we have spent about 6 months in the Kruger in the last six years and in all that time the only people we have seen speeding are the staff (with the exception of say 3 tourists at the most) especially between LS/Skuks and Skuks/Malelane, I swear some of them are doing 80/90 Kph, just disgusting.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

saraf wrote:
Yes does seem sneeky - like putting a speed trap at the bottom of a hill. But, that's the time of day that most people have complained about encountering speedsters. And its the most dangerous time of the day for animals, just as the light is fading.

Fair enough. But I have seen people racing along at other times of the day. And the report that starts this thread is nowhere near gate closing time. I think that the policing needs to be done throughout the day and not just at the time of the "easy pickings".

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:50 am 

I cannot believe this I am so so sad. :cry: :cry:

Yes show the photos but as has been said before the ones doing the speeding will not be reading this.

I too like the idea of posting the photos in highly visible places, around the camps, near the gates and so on.
More policing needed but lets face it there are just so many roads.

Why can’t we have some kind of speed restrictors/speed humps on the roads???

The ones obeying the limits won’t be affected as they are going slow anyway, but the trucks will not be able to fly over them. I do not see why they would not work
:think: :think: :think: :think:

Selling up in Australia to spend more time in the best place on earth......Kruger