Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Cape of Storms' Photographs and Memories - June 2013 Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Memories that come at night
Take me to another time
Back to a happier day
When I called you mine

Song by Jim Croce

The problem with starting a Trip Report is admitting to yourself that your dream holiday has in fact come to an end. All the plans, dreams and excitement are over and you are left with the sad reality that it is all over. Where does one begin? How do you tell a tale that does justice to what you experienced?

Let’s be brutally honest, a trip report is a manful effort at trying to keep your dream alive and store it in your heart forever. Yes it is an annual pilgrimage for my family but some part of you dreads that one year you won’t go and then this could be all that you are left with until that moment you get to smell Kruger again.

I hope that I can tell the story as it deserves to be told. So a if you don’t mind bearing with a few photographs and memories let me get started with my own little trip down memory lane!

Just us ( meaning only our small family recharging from our hectic lives by plugging into the “Bush Life”)

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Last edited by Cape of Storms on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Photographs and Memories - June 2013 Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There were a few firsts for us on this trip... (For someone who has been to visiting Kruger for 31 years that is very unusual)

First time to Sirheni - when we get there you will see what a stunning jewel this is in the Crown Jewel that is Kruger.

First time we are in the park for more than 10 days - and I now know what I always suspected - you can never have enough time here.

First time we are charged by a bull elephant - let’s hope it is our last and at least we know I survived to tell this tale.Image

And a couple new adventures for Cape of Storms and her brood. So let’s get into the final act of our amazing holiday - My Trip Report.

As you all know a trip actually starts months before the first item is packed into a suitcase ! In fact my trips usually start the last night of the previous trip. So sitting around our fire at Biyamiti last year the seed grows as we pan the ultimate trip. No more rushing from one camp to the next. No, next time we will stay longer and no less than three nights per camp. Not always easy to get that kind of booking but determined to make it work!

A promise made under African stars and many many many calls starting 11 months in advance to try and nail down that perfect booking. Then came the floods in January and some changes to itinerary and rebooking. Not all bad as we now got to see Sirheni which was not on our original plan. 3 nights Biyamiti, 3 nights Orpen, 3 nights Olifants and 3 nights Sirheni.
Sirheni literally coming through a month before we left due to cottages only being completed that near our departure. Luck was on our side and our 12 day adventure set to begin!Image

Bags packed and ready we head to the airport on a rainy Cape Town evening, one step closer to paradise.

We sleep over at my brother's place in Jozi and wake up at about 5 in the morning so we have enough time to get it Biyamiti with a full shop for food in Nelspruit. Getting out of Jozi proved to be the biggest challenge our early start paid off as we missed most of the heavy traffic.

One and only toilet break came at the Spur. Breakfast was served and the girls indulged in some tea!

But only when you hit Nelspruit does it feel like you are on your holiday. Long shopping lists and mad dashing making sure we are covered in the meat and drink departments.

The plan was to come in at Malelane gate to maximize time in the park. On our way we drive behind a rather ominous truck.....

Any Dexter watchers out there would realize my concern!!!

The only cold thing we needed right now was Image and that would have to wait until we had checked in at our accommodation !

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a breeze getting in. No waiting in a line, just right in to Eden with barely a moment to take a photo at the gate entrance!Image

The wait was over we were home! 14 June 2013!!

The plan was to drive the same road back to Biyamiti that we took leaving last year. H3 North towards the H2-2. Of course our first sighting are those beloved Impi’s of the Park. I love the way their little behinds look like MAC DONALD'S put their stamp on them!

My eldest daughter has an obsession with horses that transcends into the stiped gallopers of Africa. So we had to stop for a pretty long time when we saw a small herd. I know that all the oncoming drivers knew we were newbies into the park as we excited watched the Zebra’s contemplating a road crossing.

As we turn onto the H2-2 we remember how last year this little road brought us our illusive Wild Dog! Of course it is impossible that we would see them as the same spot but we do see another “patched” creature! Only allot taller. Image

Ou grote was waiting for us next. He was very well behaved and didn’t try get to friendly.

Heading towards Biyamiti we are so happy and content. Life could not get better!
Our last sighting before we get in to camp is a handsome Kudu prince.

As always the Biyamiti staff are friendly and helpful. We are given unit 7 which is in the perfect location. Near the hide and a lovely view of the riverbed from our braai area. Yes, calling this home for the next 3 days is dream come true!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

15 June 2013
Now that was the best sleep I had in a year! Wow, by 9 o’clock the sounds of the bush put me to sleep and after what seemed a few seconds I awoke to the start of a new day in the African Bush. I grab the flask, mugs and rusks as we pile the girls (half asleep) into the car to head out for a morning drive.

The plan is to head East and then North along the S25 where strangely our only sighting is a couple of Vervet's making themselves SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL for the day. Leaving the Salon behind we head up on the H4-2.

We head North along the H4-2. Who cannot love this part of our country. Dams, trees, landscapes to die for?

Even if we never saw a single animal the beauty is enough to bring you back time and again. Up the S130 we head and see a Martial in the distance.
Another WELL BEHAVED Ellie on the S28.

This Big boy has a collar on. Imagine having the task to fit that baby????

We make it all the way to Lower Sabie for a quick toilet stop and view out on the deck. Seeing how crowds are milling around the entrance to the shop we silently nod to one another pleased with our decision to stay in a Bush Camp. As much as we love Lower Sabie and the setting, the amount of people just feels wrong. So back into our our car we hop with some cold cool drinks (yes only Sprite and Coke in this car!) we head back to our temporary home.

Along the H5 we see a family of “Hot Dogs”

Check the stare down!

Even the usually dry riverbed near Biyamiti still has quite a bit of water left in it. Very unusual for us to see so much water at this time of the year.

Back at camp for a rest and a much needed cold one for the hubby! Image

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The girls love coming to the Bird Hide. I love this photo.

This is how a child is supposed to look at life. See and smell fresh air and be one with nature. Our kids are so pressurized at school even at a young age that just being able to be free of books, ipads, computers and DREADED HOMEWORK makes our annual trip a need and not a want!

Teasing me because she says whenever she looks at me I am taking a photo!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After our rest we decided on a little afternoon drive and head back down the S25 in a clockwise direction. This Ellie wasn’t angry but she was a bit to inquisitive and we left her behind rather hastily.

Not much further was this cutie pie. A Bush buck eating...... bushes!

This Gerry wasn’t much in the mood for posing and gave us the rear view!

Looping around we stop at the Weir to check in both directions to find this lovely tanning himself in the setting sun.

The S139 had one more gift just before we entered into Biyamiti, a Verreaux’s Eagle-Owl

Our first complete day in the Park ended with a steak on the braai, black mushrooms and guacamole!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

16 June 2013 Dun-Dun-DUUUUUUN!

A bit of a slower start this morning as we head out on the S139.

Starting to unwind in the true spirit of the bush we are singing along to Johnny Clegg as there is nothing much on offer in the way of sightings. Then it happened.....
We come around a corner on the S23 and there he is.... In the middle of the road.

We were just as startled as he was. At first he just looked up as if seeing us for the first time but then he continued eating on his tree. Time enough for me to get two shots of him. At this point my hubby says that the Ellie really looks sick. And then I smell a real stink on him. Looking back we realize he is probably in must. Now we are deciding whether to stay where we are and wait for him to move or reverse and give him a bit of space.... He is the one that made up our mind. Suddenly he charges at us! Dun-Dun-DUUUUUUN!

How my hubby stayed calm while reversing as fast as we could I don’t know. after 50 m of reversing (all that Ray is doing is watching the road over his shoulder as he reverses) he calmly asks “Is he still coming” I, surprisingly just as calm answer “Yes” just keep going!!!!

He must have come at us for 120 meters before he slowed down. I relay this info to my hubby and slowly he looks forward to see the Ellie 20 m in front of us flapping his ears like mad but now standing still. At this point both the kids start screaming as they now realize what has happened. Hubby and I lock eyes knowing we had an EXTREMELY close call. Slowly we reverse far enough to take the risk of turning the car around. Because there wasn’t even a question we were taking the 20km detour. No way were we going to try get past MR ELLIE! Later Emily tells us she saw the Ellie had angry red eyes. :big_eyes: :big_eyes: And thinking about it she is right - he was in a really bad mood!! :hmz:

Although we are lucky and get away untouched it left its mark on the kids because the entire trip they were so scared of elephants. And unfortunately just when we found a calm elephant the next one turns aggro!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The plan is to try and get to the Albasini Road today in hope of seeing the Doggies. The Ellie incident took us back to the S114 where we this warted Wartie waiting for us!

A Beautiful Tawny is seeing if he can spot us something worth while but alas nothing major to see so we head out towards Transport Dam.

As you can see still quite a bit of water around at Transport Dam. Image

This Great Egret (hope that is the right bird) was searching for his next meal.
Here we have some “lady” spectators watching as two big boys were “duking” it out!
Image Image

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Last edited by Cape of Storms on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sorry for the delay in writing but have had a few hectic days. Here is a quick continuation of the trip!

Near the dam we see an African Hawk Eagle (could be mistaken on the id of bird?)

and then the massive traffic jam on the road down Shitlhave Dam stopped us dead in our tracks. Apparently a LIT!!! But all I could get in the picture was the kill!

Timing was not on our side today!

Our plan to drive the Albasini Road still in tact we head towards Pretoriuskop and take the loop road. Some fascinating rock formations on the S7

And then I think this was at Shabeni hill on the S10.

The only spotted creature was this little buck on the Albasini Road!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The time came to head back. After some snacks (crackers and Cheese) we take the S1. This usually plentiful road only produced the usual antelope and two Vultures!

We came down the S65 and at N'waswitshaka waterhole we had a good chuckle at the Terrapins hitching a ride on Mr Hippo!
First time to see everything!

Also looking for “things” crawly things to eat was this Snake Eagle. At least I think it is a Snake Eagle????

And what trip to Kruger would be complete without at least one LBR!

Certainly the most beautiful little bird!

A quick run into Afsaal for a toilet break and ice cream before we head back to camp. Once again the S139 spoiling us with a Veaureaux eagle owl! This time he is catching some zzzz’z

Back at Biyamiti the girls are pretty happy to be free of the car and start playing around the house creating sand cities! Enough mess to keep them busy but not to much for me to clean up! This is the life!

Sundown from our stoep. Is there anything better than the setting sun in Africa with a fire going and a glass of red wine in the hand?

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Last edited by Cape of Storms on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

17 June
Sadly we have to leave our beloved Biyamiti this morning as we head towards Orpen. We are up early to cat the sunrise and start the long trip North. Just out of the gate we see some Ox peckers feasting on an open wound.

Quite a deep wound on this well endowed Buff!

Not that he seemed to be to bothered he was feasting himself on some delicious grass!
S139 Sunrise pretty spectacular!

Coffee and rusks are the order of the day as we enjoy the sounds, sights and smell of the Crocodile river on the S25 near the Hippos Pools.

While admiring another Veaureaux eagle owl on the S108 Image

Two guys stop and tell us an awesome tale of a pack of wild dogs that just killed and impala in front of their car 1 km away from us! Of course we went to the spot but once again our luck was out and we didn’t see anything :(

Another stork this time a Black Stork near Gayisenga S108.

ImageImage

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The trip North must continue and the usual suspects gathering around Lower Sabie...
Tummies growing hungry we stop for a breakfast break at a long time favorite Mlondozi.Image

It is pretty impossible not to fall in love with the view from up here while eating your breakfast and hearing all the sounds of the bush around you. We were however warned that the kids need to take extra car as the monkeys have stepped up a level of aggression towards kids and the day before a little child got bitten!

Each of my monkeys posing with me and not looking to bothered by the Vervet's around them. As they get older they prove to be a real help when it comes to making breakfast and cleaning up! We might not have seem much so far but we have had a great time together.

The car takes us up along the Muntshe Loop. And the Savannah lies stretched out ahead of us.
After the ellie charge this is about as close as the girls will allow us to an Elephant!

Back on the main road (H1-3) Hippos and Ellies enjoying a drink! Image

Further along at Kumana and once again see how full the dams are.

The animals are loving all the green grass around!Especially this Waterbuck!!!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Last edited by Cape of Storms on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My shining moment of our trip was about to unfold. At the Baobab tree loop I turn to hubby and say please let’s go down to the tree, I have a feeling..... He grumbles that it always smells of urine at the tree and must we really take the trip when in 15 years we have never seen so much as a buck down that way. I think about it and say really I have a weird feeling we must go there. So he obliges and we head down the loop.

I make him stop at a distance so I can get a shot of the whole tree and then notice a car behind the tree.

Then the kind generous spirit of the true Krugerian came out the driver of the vehicle asks us if we saw the cheetah on our way into the loop? “CHEETAH!!!!” we exclaim! He then offers to drive ahead of us to the spot and sure enough a gorgeous spotted one gets up and throws us a glance!

Our first cat and it is of this majestic creature!

He starts to look around and moves off but not before giving us one last “Blue Steel” knock out glance!
Never doubt a woman’s intuition .... Just putting it out there!!!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The cheetah majestically walked into thick bushes and that was the last we saw of it. Now the car was alive (somehow cat sightings do this to you) 

Of course I tried minimal amounts of "I told you so's" as we headed to Satara.  A quick toilet break and now we head on our favorite the H7.  As Nsenami approaches we see the traffic piling up.  Oh no not here too! Closer we edge and at the dam we see all faces searching in the big tree in the dip opposite the main dam.  Eventually we MR Leopard totally unfazed by the multitude of stalkers around! 

Two cats in a row!!! Whoop what a day! After 30 minutes we have to get going as we need to make it to Orpen and this leopard wasn’t going anywhere in a hurry! The H7 flood damage was still there so we start (one of many) detour trips down the S106.

Finally we get to Orpen and stretch out our stiff bodies after a VERY long day in the car. But we are here and have unit number 14. What a great little camp. Grass for the kids to play on, trees

Image them to explore and all within sight of mom and the waterhole!!

I am over the moon that this is my home for 3 nights!!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

18 June
Central Kruger Explorations!
From previous Kruger Experience we know that the probability of Cat and and Big 5 sightings will be over the next 3 days. Central Kruger has always delivered. So we make sure we are the first at the gate to head out of Orpen. Still dark when the gate opens we start the slow drive on the H7! Almost immediately the early bird is rewarded by my favorite animal in the world. Walking in the road... The light is terrible so the photos do not do justice to the beauty but at least we can see her entire body!!

Image[/url]

We are the only ones with her (ok could be a him but I like to think it is a girl!) and she is happy to model for us until some inconsiderates arrive. A Kombi approaches so speedily that I have to show them to slow down and whisper LEOPARD!! . Then with all their windows open and very loud talking they stop next to us. Reversing up and down to see her and only succeeding in chasing her away!! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH Image

But with a Sunrise like this, who can remain peeved!

29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next