Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mvuvu's Silver Safarians.... KNP, July 2013
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:51 pm 

Oooe, ê ê! Everybody warned me that when you get older, you will lose your marbles… and it’s happened! These two old Silver Safarians have bought themselves a “Venter tenter” thingy and we are goin’ campin’. Next week… middle of July... in the KNP - a place where the spiders are said to be the size of Bakkies Botha’s hands (when he’s holding them together) :roll: .

So, to try and avoid making complete fools of ourselves (trust me, this happens fairly often), we decided to have a “practice run” at putting up said accommodation. I mean, how difficult could this be? It must be dead easy, because they don’t even pack instructions, ne? We pulled and tugged and hammered and tied - and things seemed to be going quite swimmingly, until we stood up and looked at each other, each with three tent poles in each hand… WTF? :redface: Needless to say, we are opting for the most uninhabited camps where we can build our little abode without ridicule.

Seriously, if any of you fundi campers can give us a few words of advice and encouragement, it would be much appreciated. Not too much though, hey; remember what I said about our marbles…

Post subject: Re: Silver Safarians....
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 am 

Thanks, MarkusF, Kaapsedraai, Shushin and Hugh... maybe we should recoup some of our losses by setting up a little circle of camp chairs around our campsite before we start putting up the tent - we could charge the audience a few bob for a guaranteed good laugh!

Watch this space....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the Forums Mvuvu!
Thanks for putting a smile on my face :D I will definately stay on board for this TR

Camping tips:
1. Practice, practice, practice
2. Mark or label the tent poles (those old gazebos were a nightmare)
3. Learn to pack in the right order, first items needed get packed last etc.
4. Don't park at the bottom of a slope in the rainy season (we have seen many a tent floating :D )
5. The ground can be very very hard and bend tent pegs, make a plan :hmz: (for a short weekend with the dome I put a heavy piece of luggage in each corner to anchor the tent :D

Have fun, relax and enjoy

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Already planning the next trip

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found
Image mvuvu and welcome to the forums.
Don't worry about setting up Image, you will find that campers are a very friendly bunch, it is not uncommon for other campers to walk over to lend a hand. Keep the Image cold, goes down well after set up. Oh and take a decent hammer, and a blue electrical adapter for the electrical connection, an extension cord minimum of 20 meters is useful.
Camping is fun, once the bug bites you, it wont let go.
Also keep notes of things you have forgotten at home, and keep the list in your venter tenter , so you wont forget things next time. My Caravan is completely self contained, including ice machine :thumbs_up: The only thing we take from home is food and clothing.
Hope you enjoy your trip, and looking forward to hearing all about it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 pm 

Thank you for all the advice! Am starting to quite look forward to this camping story. Many moons ago I was in the Brownies and hubby was in the Boy Scouts (dib-dib-dib, dab-dab-dab and all that), so now I should just remember how to tie a granny knot and we should be okay (ish).

Good news is that we managed to get bookings as follows:

15-18 July - Punda Maria (camping)
18-21 July - Sirheni (not camping)
21-24 July - Tsendze (camping)
24-25 July - Maroela (camping)

Watch this space...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]