Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jumbo’s visit to Storms River : March 2006
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:31 pm 
Hi all

Just got back from a great holiday in the Garden Route. We spend 5 nights at Storms River Rest Camp (27 Feb – 04 March). What a wonderful place!

Photo of the camp:

We stayed in unit 8A, a Honeymoon Cottage (I have a problem with the fact that this is called a “Honeymoon cottage”, will post more about that in the Storms River thread). However, the interior of this unit was luxurious and beautifully decorated. The carpets, upholsterer couches and queen size bed puts this unit in the class of an upmarket hotel room. The kitchen was well equipped and included a fridge, stove (with oven) and a microwave oven. They also gave attention to small detail – even had warm water bottles for that cold nights (the wilderness camps in Kgalagadi can catch a tip here…)

We had an amazing view from our unit. We were next to the beach with a small road between the sea and us.

Close to our unit there was a rock in the sea that they call “Skietklip” {shooting rock}. It was mesmerizing to look how the water shot up in the air when the waves hit the rock (especially during low tide). On impact it also produced a loud banging noise.

Weather wise: We only had two days of sunshine. One day during our stay, and then of cause the day we left. One night we had a vicious storm with strong winds. I felt sorry for the people in the camping area. I don’t think this is the most “camping friendly” environment. The camping area is beautifully situated right next to the sea but has no trees etc. that can provide shelter (only one or two sites has this luxury).

27 February

Wasn’t a good day for us. Bosveldkoning was a bit under the weather from oysters him and my father ate at the Ocean Basket restaurant in Mossel Bay (best to avoid this one, my father had the same symptoms). The weather itself wasn’t wonderful either, so we spend the day making use of the very comfortable couches in our lounge.
Even the dassies look miserable that day.

28 February

Weather was still miserable and BK still recuperating. We had a lovely lunch at the restaurant. They have a nice a la carte menu with more variety than what is offered by the restaurants in Kruger (simply put, this is a “real” restaurant)

The afternoon we walked the 1km Knysna Loerie trail that takes you into the forest. There are three other walking trails: The 3.7km Blue Duiker trail, the Waterfall Trail (6km in total) and then the Mouth trail (did not do this one because the suspension bridge was closed for renovations)
The Loerie trail was short enough to give you time to do it at leisure and to stop and appreciate all the small things. What was however very strange to me, was how quiet it was in the forest. In contras to the hum from birds etc. you hear in the Kruger bush, the forest was dead quite with only a single bird every now and then.

We encounter numerous strange looking fungi and mushroom during the trail.

Our day ended on a bright note with a school of dolphins passing very close to shore.

1 March

Was a beautiful day and I got my first photo of a sunrise.

We decided, with the nice weather, we are going to tackle the 3 km to the waterfall. This is also the start of the Otter trail. Very important, if you decide to walk this route, make sure that you wear comfortable shoes that will also give you good grip on the rocks. This trail has beautiful scenery, but is definitely not an easy walk. It took us about four hours to get to the waterfall and back – plus an hour for a picnic at the waterfall.

A tired Bosveldkoning in front of the Guano Gave that you pass en-route to the waterfall.

The waterfall is stunning and IMHO worth the walk. It has a pool at the bottom where you can take a swim if you like freezing water…brrrrr

The water in this area has the colour of tea. Apparently this is due to the tannin that is found in the leave and bark of some of the forest vegetation, including the yellowwood tree.

On the long journey back to camp I, in true Jumbo fashion, almost stepped on a small snake. Think I need to change my perfume!

02 March

We went on the “Tree-top canopy tour” (their contact details can be found on the following page of SANParks’ website
Storms River adventures)

At R395 p/p it is quite expensive, but I believe it was money well spend and something that you have to do at least once in your life. You slide on steel cables from one platform to another. The platforms are built in a very eco-friendly way, high up in majestic trees (mostly Outeniqua yellowwood). The highest point on the 10 slides is 30m above the ground. The oldest tree is a +-600 year old yellowwood.
The whole thing is done in a professional fashion; safety measures are more than adequate and rigorously followed (my engineer SO checked everything out before he got on). The guides also take the time to explain the various aspect of the forest to you.
This adventure can be done by people of all ages and sizes.

On my one slide I was treated by a Knysna Loerie (AKA Knysna Turaco) that flew past me while I was sliding.

All geared up in ropes, back-up ropes, and back-up on the back-up ropes.

Weeeeeeee. My Tarzan imitation (Jane probably did it with a lot more grace)

03 March

The weather made a turn for the worse again and after the previous two active days, we figured a good book and the comfy sofas will be a good idea.

04 March

On our way back to George we took the time to visit Monkey Land. Also a have to do thing. A link to their details also appear on this page of the SANParks website Monkey Land Primate Sanctuary.
Was amazing having a free roaming Ringtail Lemur appearing out of the forest and walking right up to us.

We had such a good time in the Tsitsikamma and will definitely add it to our itinerary for future visits. There is still so much more we have to do and see in this area.

I will, at a later stage, add more photos to my Flicker site.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:02 pm 
bert wrote:
DuQues wrote:
The "strange looking fungi and mushrooms" look to me to belong to the family of Trametes. In Dutch we call them "elfenbankjes" or couches for elves...

You should have encountered some elves :?

Have to admit, the forest does resemble a fairy land and it actually makes you believe that an elf sighting is not out of the question. :D

bert wrote:
Would love to do the waterfall walk
But must think twice before doing the slide through the treetops.

Bert, my SO is petrified of heights, and even him enjoyed the slides because these guys are so strict about safety that you feel quite comfortable to do it.

One thing I’m sorry about: I could not do the bungee from the Bloukraans Bridge (apparently the highest in the world). SO threaten divorce, cutting me out of his will, removing his name from my will, no more washing dishes etc. etc. We made a deal now: I will do the bungee the day after he died. In that time they will probably have to roll me over the edge in my wheelchair and I will swallow my false teeth while yelling “Bungeeeee”. :roll: :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:43 am 
Jazil wrote:
... I wonder whether I would love it as much now? By that I mean, the huts, chalets, accommodation etc.........

Jazil, the park is quite busy. If you take that we were there out of season and all the chalet accommodation were full. There are also a lot of day visitor – including tour busses. I think if you are going to compare the park as it is now, with what it was several years ago, you are going to be disappointed. But if you look at it as a “new” destination, you are going to love it. The bungalows are built to blend in with the environment and we found it really very nice if you consider the weather you might get.

Jazil wrote:
thank you for your report Jumbo, it makes me so Homesick... I love it. (Sentimental old Fart that I am! :roll: )

Well then we are ‘farting” together. :lol: I originate from George and my SO is also from the Cape Province – spent all his childhood holidays in either PE or Tergniet (near Grootbrak). In Maputo we live one block away from the beach, but to me this is not the “sea”. You don’t smell or hear the sea as you do in the Garden Route.

PS: Jazil, it would be nice if you can post your photos. Will be interesting to compare. :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]