Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Elsa's Fun and family in Kruger - May/June 2013
Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:55 pm 

Its almost that time again when we gather all our Kruger belongings and start off on another of our bi-annual trips to our favourite place. 8)

For this trip we are thrilled to have Jock who is back home for 6 weeks from Oz, along with us, plus my son Scotty, who never posts despite his mothers best efforts! my DIL and 2 of the grandies.
They will only be with us for the first week due to school issues and then it will be just Jock, Klystron and myself for the other 2 weeks.

The first 2 weeks will be spent at Ngwenya from where we will take daily forays into the park and then the last week we will be spending time at Skukuza, Letaba, Bateleur, Shimuwini, Olifants, Satara and Berg & Dal.

Bateleur is a new one for all of us, and Shimuwini a first for Jock so lots of new ground to explore.

I will try and do frequent updates while in the park.

I hope you will all book your place in the bus and join us for this wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Fun and family in Kruger - May/June 2013
Unread postPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 am 

We are enjoying our first day in paradise, ellies gave us a lovely welcome yesterday and the sunset was glorious ,have some stunning pics to show when we get back.
We watched the moon set this morning and what it was pretty spectacular .
About to take our first drive into the park.
Will report back later.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:57 am 

Had a lovely day in the park yesterday, drove from Croc Bridge up and around to B and Dal, had lovely sightings of general game, lots of ellies, rhinos and then as we arrived at the gate of B and D to pop in and say Hi to DB, a big traffic jam for a Cheetah sighting!
Must say that was not what I would have expected to see in that area but there it was, so by the time we had worked our way through the jam and got a look at the Cheetah we only just had time to make Malelane gate with about to 2 minutes to spare.
Today we are going to relax and see what comes down to the river to us.
Update later.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:23 pm 

Not overall too much action on the river today but enough to keep us entertained.
Ellies , buff, waterbuck, crocs, Hippo ,lots of birds etc .
We had a nice pizza lunch and tonight a roast with all the trimmings eaten outdoors while a dagga boy forged in the reeds below.
Tomorrow we are going to try and make an early start into the park.
Hope you will all be ready and waiting before 6am.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 am 

Got to the gate 3rd in line at 5.50 yesterday, still a little gloomy but with all our eyes scanning we hoped not to miss anything.
Lots of the general game on the plains just in from the gate as per usual and also a little black blacked jackal .
Then the S28 delivered us a wonderful sighting of not one but 2 Cheetahs. Sat with them for about 20 minutes before another car arrived .
Without going into too much detail which I will cover when I am home and doing the report proper, we had a big 5 day plus the Cheetah so pretty successful.
Then to top it off we got a report to say there was a leopard in the reeds right in front of our unit at Ngwenya.
Our neighbours then informed us that there had also been 2 lions there during the day as well!
The grass in the park is still long but starting to die down, so hopefully the sightings will continue to improve .
We plan to go in shortly for another drive .

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 pm 

Hi everyone,
Today was a stay here day as we looked after the grandies while the others went in for a full day drive .
Nice to relax and let the various wildlife come to you.
Had Ellies , buff, waterbuck, Impala, hippos etc in front to entertain us.
Tomorrow we will go in, have a brunch type meal, then come out mid afternoon as we have a friend dropping by for a braai with us.
Will keep you posted.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 am 

Sure you must be wondering what has happened to the updates of late!
Sorry for the delay, will try and do a bit of a catch up.
The others did have a lovely long day in the park, had a picnic type lunch at Satara day visitors site and had Ellies come say hello.
Other than a inc big 5 sighting day with lots of extras.
We moved over to our other unit here at the lodge on Friday and were entertained by a big herd of Ellies feeding right on the bushes directly in front of us from late afternoon right up into the night, so special hearing their rumbles from such a close range and while we sit sipping on our sundowners .
Some bad news is that I somehow managed to wrench my knee and it swelled up quite dramatically necessitating a visit to the local doc, so I am now on medication of all sorts and not allowed to bend it too much.
Went in for a drive yesterday as we will again today and alto no cats we had some other wonderful sightings, so pretty happy at this stage.
Also have to fit in some shopping as well.
Further updates to follow.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:36 pm 

Back from a wonderful day in the park, even tho we did our shopping first and only entered at around 11am in the end!
First up were 5 lionesses sprawled on the Gezantfombi dam wall, 2 more sightings on the S21, then another big group on the rocks above Lower Sabie
Then believe it or not as we exitted at gate closing the dam lions had now moved to the rocks next to the wall, so one can say it was a great "lion" day.
Plenty of other interesting sightings as well.
Also had a less than nice experience with a visitor who we saw with a pet monkey in a nappy in their car.
we reported them at Lower Sabie and later found them being grilled by 2 rangers as they tried to exit the park at CB!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:48 pm 

Thanks so much everyone for all your kind comments and concern over my troublesome knee!
I have just finished the course of cortisone, anti-inflammatories the doc prescribed and it's feeling a whole lot easier and the swelling has mostly gone down but of course the crunch will be to see what happens without the medication?
Hopefully it will let me enjoy the rest of the trip without further trouble.
Had a nice morning drive in today, managed 4 of the big 5 without too much trouble, just Leopard missing.
Found a young lion right down near the end of the Hippo pools road, Daniel was there surveying the scene with his binocs.
Another nice tusker on the S28 and the Duke waterhole lions of yesterday had made a kill, plenty of vulture activity but unfortunately not close to the road.
Now we have the young lion male walking right in front on the sand, baboons, impala, shouting their heads off.
How cool is this!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am 

Hi everyone,
Yesterday we drove outside the park and entered at Malelane gate and did some meandering around that area with brekkie at Afsaal which was its usual good quality.
I see here is a sign up saying that it has been taken over by Sanparks consequently there is not much in the shop, other than a few basic snacks type foods but the fast food section seems to be running as per usual and the coffee/hot chocolate bar doing a good trade.
We had some interesting Giraffe interaction with 2 young males sizing each other up and doing a bit of head bashing.
Then a fantastic Rhino sighting right next to the road, in fact we had to move when the 1 female walked right up to the side of the car and almost sniffed it!
Shortly after that Lions on a freshly made Impala kill.
Drove slowly along the S25 and almost at the end had another lone lioness cross the road right in front of us.
Strangely we only saw a total of 3 Ellies the entire day!
So once again the Leopard being the elusive one but we will find them.
After doing some shopping in Komatipoort we arrived back here to find that Lions were again seen on the river front but we could only find that1 of the reported 6 and she was lying flat out on the sand until it got dark.
But we did hear them on and off during the early evening as we sat out on the veranda.
Today we pack up at the lodge and start our trip up into the park, not too far to travel today, only as far as Skukuza tonight.
Will update further as the travels continue.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:09 pm 

Arrived at Skukuza, settled in our bungalow 152.
Had a brilliant lion sighting en route, lions lying right on the road and another very pretty one lying at the road side, so have stunning pics!
Nice Ellies as well, but that leopard is making it difficult for sure!!
We considered going to the Selati but decided against it, so T bone steaks for Jock and Klystron, and chicken on the braai for me tonight.
Pretty warm again today, upper 20's and clear skies.
Tomorrow it's off to Letaba.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm 

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of updates but while we were at Bateleur and Shimuweni we didn't have any signal.
Had a fantastic time alto the night spent at Bateleur coincided with the arrival of a cold front with the gale force winds and biting cold the next day, so it seemed winter finally arrived alto it has warmed up nicely again today.
Our trip from there to Shimuweni resulted in our leopard drought being broken well and truly with not 1 or 2 but 3 of the beautiful cats.
We could hardly believe our luck.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Shimuweni, chalet # 8.
Took a sunset drive last night and enjoyed seeing African wild cats x 2, civets x 2, genets, spring and scrub hares, Ellies, buffs, hyenas, plus lots more.
How amazing was that?
Another sighting we have seen lots of is Sharpes Grysboks, a real treat for us.
We had to go into Phalaborwa for a few grocery items today and just before the gate had a brief sighting of a single wild dog who seemed to have a sore front leg.
Tonight we are at Olifants camp in cottage # 14 and what a stunning view it has.
There was a large fire burning some distance away on the other side of the hill, I would imagine a controlled burn.
We plan on getting up early tomorrow to enjoy our fantastic view so I will end off now and hopefully bring you another update tomorrow from Satara, our next port of call.
Thanks so much for your continued support.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:02 pm 

Now at B & D, our last night in the park, where has the 3 weeks gone.
We have chalet # 81 right next to the fence, heard an ellie and just had a little Genet come calling.
Had a great last full day, Jock and I went out at gate opening this morning and was it cold, temp read 2.5C!
Drove the H6 and had 2 x Honey Badger sightings totalling 4 of our sought after lifers, plus a good few Hyena so we returned happy bunny's!
Also a wonderful Lioness who walked in front of the car for some distance and we are sure she had tiny cubs hidden in the rocks she vanished into.
Tomorrow is the final pack up and long drive back home.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:58 am 

Thanks so much for the good wishes both for our trip and the knee!

Unfortunately my computer which is the one I do the pics etc from, has done a dirty on me and will not boot up! :evil:
SO is trying to sort out its errant behaviour so until its done I can't start the report proper with pics but I promise as soon as it comes right I will do so, as I can assure you we do have some stunning pics and dying to share them with you all.
So until then, don't go too far! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 pm 

I must really offer my sincere apologies for the delay in my trip report! :gflower:

To those who don't already know, I hurt my knee while on holiday and now have had to have surgery to repair a torn cartilage and do a lot of "housework" inside the joint which has resulted in rather a painful past 10 days.
I still can't really sit at the computer for long spells, been barely walking, but it is starting to get easier and I am sure it won't be long now before I can get right down to it. :thumbs_up:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next