Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Radman Three weeks in Paradise!!!! What awaits us ?JUNE'12
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Not to far to drive bet yet to close to fly. Roodepoort
Well all you peeps. After a year of waiting planing My time have arrived Yes I am of to KNP :big_eyes:

Well I am booked for two weeks in KNP but the week lying ahead I will be visiting a Good friend of mine right next to KNP in Marloph Park so you can say I am in the park seeing that only the Crocodile river keeps some of the animals out of Marloph.

So I will try my best to stay away from all technology gadgets and communication for the next 3 weeks. Now that is going to make the SO a very happy person :shock:

I am not a TR person Ill rather read than wright I like to keep memories all for myself :tongue: :cam: :think:

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=62809

Last edited by Radman on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Three weeks in Paradise!!!! What awaits us ?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hallo Peeps So allowed me to share a bit only when there is signal and here we go I will share picks after our trip seeing that I am only using 3G :gflower: Sitting in Marloph park enjoying nature and the animal sounds only 2 days to go then its paradise, :big_eyes: even had some lions roar close to the crocodile river amazing amazing.Stay tuned maybe even a surprise :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hello: I am back :oops:
Well it was a well deserved break for us and we really enjoyed the time we could spend in the bush away from this rat race :shock:

Well you all can imagine how many pictures I have to edit after being away for three weeks so please bare with me and I will share as soon as I am done editing and getting rid of the Blurs the SO took :tongue: n

Not many cats but things I have never seen before in Kruger :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well here we go lets try.

This was the lovely place we were staying at before entering the KNP If anyone is interested at really good rates drop me a PM :big_eyes:

And just some random pictures I took inside marloph I think I am becoming a stifneck :whistle:

This Fella almost jump on my foot at night

These animals were so tame you could touch them :big_eyes:

Naughty buggers

Impies

Next to follow entering at Malelane gate :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks ladies :tongue:

So early Saturday morning I chase the wife ouma and little Ranger out of bet letting them know the time has come to get every thing ready so we can head to Malelane Gate.After packing up and of we go.We reached the bridge at about 08h15 and was already busy and then it was of to reception completing our arrival form and in we go !! Now to get to Pkop and set up camp :big_eyes:

Picture from the bridge from left

From Right :tongue:

And some picks of animals and birdies around the bridge :cam:

Saddle bill taking its morning prayer on its knees

Three Musketeers

Something I am still trying to get the hag of birds in flight :shock:

This darter having a groom

Few gooses hanging around

So after spending about 30min walking around on the bridge we went into the park and what would be our first sighting the wifie asks aaagh you know I say Impies of course :big_eyes: So just thru the gate about 50m in wife shouts STOP! and what Some Ellies about 150m in

and some birdie I will get this right one day

So along the way to Afsaal we saw a few animals but it was quite drive

This is when you know you are close to Afsaal :whistle:

After having a nice Breakie at Afsaal we move on

When arriving in the parking lot what do I see But no one around :big_eyes:

Some animals along the way to Pkop

This Guy doing his morning business :roll:

We spotted these kudu Bulls and stayed with them for a few min next moment all hell broke loose and these to big guys started scrumming .Just the sound of them hitting against each other gave me a headache

This little guy I saw Running across the road and got him in the tree

And Auntie VVV Cousin :k

Hornbill

Nests

A Long Neck

A Dagga Boy

Ground Hornbill

A head in the Grass :tongue:

And then another go at a Bird in flight :shock:

We took a very slow drive up to Pkop and only arrived at 14h30 and this is were the fun started .
Knowing my wife she made sure we had everything packed that could possibly fit in and on top of a 6FT
trailer. After setting up the one OOmie came around looked at our set up and made this comment "Jislike boet het julle die heule dorp saam gebring" Eish Ja OOm met Eish after all that :slap:

TBC

Last edited by Radman on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On Sunday morning we slept in a bit late seeing that we sorted the camp site for the week till late

So little Ranger got me out of bed at 7 telling me Kom kyk die bokkies daddy!!!! Whoever wasn't awake in the camp yet now was awake because of her excitement.
So I get the coffee and koekies sorted and start looking at the map and make my choices for the route to be taken for the day. So after a nice shower we pack the car with some refreshments and out we go at about 8h30.
So we decided to take the following route S7-S3-S1-S4-S3 at Kruger Gate nature calls after the morning coffee.
From Kruger gate we take the S1- onto the S65 must have been the most exiting Road I have ever traveled in KNP 4 Of the big five :big_eyes: on that 14km drive Then of to Kwaggaspan and then a stop at transport dam Shithave dam and back to camp

Kalgat vrug Ellies love these: big_eyes:
Rooi Bok
This Little Fella all by himself.
Just the thoughts that went thru my head looking at this perfect specimen
A Duiker checking me out

This guy was in the road and Gone: big_eyes: Mongoose
Wahlberg Eagle
While waiting for the So at Kruger gate I got this shot in: big_eyes:
What a beautiful poser we stayed with him for a while and what happens next was such a surprise
He moves of in the grass and what does he reveal Jip his baby
Check this mommy’s Horn wow so great to see her around
And then but this guys just kept lying around not even moving lazy bugger
Not even 500m along the road this guy saw him took a pick and he was gone.
This Big Fella was right next to the road
Cape Vulture
Slender Mongoose
Waterbuck
On the Transport dam Road This cutie
Some Hippo
Zazza

Some Guy that lost his fight
Long Tong: tongue:
Scenery Shot
Magpie Shrike: whistle:
LBR
This little fella I spotted in the camp on a tree if it wasn't for the piece of string attached to its leg I am sure I would have never seen it .

TBC

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 3

So we get up early the next morning and take the following route . It was a long day S8-S14-H2-2-H3-S13-S23-S113-S23-S114-H1-1 -H1-2 Of to transport dam again and then back to camp

Beautiful Sunrise

Black Shouldered kite

This big Guy walking calmly across the road

I'm sure we all have some of these

Brown Snake eagel

A big Ellie Herd

And the little one gave me a nice clear shot normally they are always between the big ones

This big Guy giving me LIP :tongue:

And then shows me who is the man :big_eyes:

Juvenile Bataleur

What an amazing pair of tusks

Sharpe Grys bok

Some Willies

Beautiful Kudu

Buffies

A leppie

Bobjaan Family

Goliath Heron

Then about 20m in next to the road this Juvenile Crowned Eagle stayed with him for a while and the he reveals why he was on the ground :big_eyes:

Can you see not the best of picture I know :redface:

More Elies these two was just playing around and touching and smelling each othe the whole time

So earliear the day we saw a BBM reporting a Leopard at transport dam so as we head twards camp why not lets go have a peak and what was there :big_eyes: People sitting around at the dam was checking out this tree across the dam. I ask the oomie next to me so whats around A LION :big_eyes: What !!! So I ruk out the Near come beys and see this

Close inspection I could see no Lion But a Leopard." Hey oom its not a Lion its a Leopard" :big_eyes:
So after about 15-20 min what happens

with impies coming to drink some water he moves out And I cant believe is this it are we going to have some action :big_eyes: He came close to the water had a sip of water and moved along the bank up the hill on the right and disappeared :slap:

WOW what a Great day we had

Some birdies along the way I said I might become a stiff neck :whistle: :hmz:

Scarlet Chested sun bird

Black collared Barbet

Starling

Hope you guys enjoyed this one as much as we did we had a lekker skaap nek potjie that evening and was in bed early
TBC

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

LaeveldLeeu wrote:
Nice report and awesome pics.
What road did you spot the Sharps Grysbok and the Crowned Eagle?
If its a Grysbok it is quite south and very interesting.

Thanks LaeveldLeeu The Sharpe was seen close to the maroela loop area :hmz: also couldn't belief my eyes but the picture is the proof :big_eyes:
The Crowned eagle was seen on the H4-1 :cam:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Day 4

This morning we decided not to go out to early seeing that the light in the early mornings aren't that good.

So we leave camp at about 7h00 the morning Taking the H1-1 H3 up to kwagas pan and back not that long drive but all for good reason and the So started not feeling well :big_eyes: :hmz: But yet again a very exiting drive :whistle:

So out the gate we go and again we are welcomed into the untamed by this littel guy they are all round the camp this time of the morning :cam:

As we drive up towards Shitlhave dam going up the hill WHAAAAT in the road :shock:
Had to take this picture thru the windshield but I got it it moved of the road and gone we could see a few more in the bush but was only shadows :wall: What a great sighting so early in the morning it can only get better seeing that I have never seen them in the KNP before

Tsessebe

So Over the hill we go and about 2km down the road we see a car standing next to the road all by it self as we get close we can see this old oomie checking something out with his nearcomebyes mmm stifneck Ok thaths what I thought at first. So i pull up ''More oom wat sien oom?"Ek dink n luiperd" he replys :shock: With only tree in the area I pull out the nearcombyes and look what do I see Can you see it ?

So I informed the oomie that it is only a Kill in the tree but I am sure he will be in the area seeing that it still looked fresh .As wee are having a chat that he might return the SO slaps me and the back and goes KYK KYK KYK and this is what happens

So he just checked out his Breakfast and went and did the lazyhorse thing

By this time there was about 10-15 cars around and it looked like he wasn't going to move so we decided to move along what a good thought as we get around the bend just before Shitlhave dam I coming across the road from right to left about 100m in-front of us as I look closer I can not believe my eyes another first time ever .As we get closer It moves of into the long grass :slap: and this is the only picture the SO could manage :cam: of the Serval

At the dam Hippo

On the Napi boulder route we see this proof that this is the wild

Just after that this Could it have been one of their family members? :hmz:

Then some macdonalds

On our way back to camp seeing that the SO started feeling Ill the following :wall:

Check out my tooth

Snake eagle

This guy get breakfast ready

Auntie Kudu

These Hornbils being the perfect models

Close up of those beautiful lashes

A Zazza

This Guy begging for his food

So as we get to camp earlier that expect where the SO said she is going to lye down seeing that she does not feel well I decided to do the thing that most of us do. Go check out the birds in the camp. As the little Ranger have made some friends in the camp already she was not bothered that we came to camp earlier .

The following was seen

Outside the camp fence

Korhaan

Another Scarlet :big_eyes:

Yellow Hornbill

ID please??

Al of a sudden as I am walking around having some me time I can here some commotion going on in the camping area I make my way there quick see that the Little Ranger is there with her friends and the So sleeping as I get close to see what is going on this big guy has come to reveal his powers Right next to the fence and yes he was in must as well

Here is a video I took of this big guy breaking the Fence :big_eyes: down minutes later the Rangers was there and they made sure he moved away from the fence as they shot a few blanks of to make sure he does not come into the camping area .

So I had my excitement for the day and yes that is my little one you can here all the time in the vid :thumbs_up:

TBC

Last edited by Radman on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks like the Video Link isn't working lets try this
http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/Radman71/TR4/?action=view&current=DSC_0399.mp4

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hilda wrote:
Wow Radman! Thanks for another stunning instalment! You were so lucky with that Leopard coming back to his prey! And after that a serval! Brilliant sightings! :clap: :clap:

Awesome pictures of the Hippo, Girrafes, Impies and the lovely Rhino! :dance: :D

I was wondering about the stuff on the Ground Hornbill's face! I thought it was some kind of illness. Urghh! :shock: Do you think he will allow a tickbird to rid him of those horrible ticks? How else is he going to get rid of them?

I think your last bird is a female Black-backed Puffback, but those who really know their birds may differ from me, and might give you the correct ID. :thumbs_up:

So, the Ellie really broke the fence? :big_eyes: I hope the kids were not close by? Very scary!! :shock:

Hope your SO was feeling better after a nice rest? :gflower:

Thanks for sticking around Hilda "female Black-backed Puffback" Thanks for that another first for me ..

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

So after opening my inter net explorer this morning and login to the forum what do I see A message for me (PM)

So I open up and see the heading refers to my TR mmmm now what ?

Then I read a message from Pat asking me to re look at my pictures about the LIT with the kill WHY? He then point out to me that there was not one but TWO leopards in the tree WHAT!!!! :shock: So not I open a editing program on the PC and Crop Crop Crop And its is revealed there was indeed two leppies in the tree :slap: :slap: Cant believe I did not see Just shows you how well these guys can camouflage them self's

Thanks aunty VVV and all the other for pointing this out to me :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :k :k :k Now to reveal this to the SO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :redface: :redface:

Here is the croped picture

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Moving Along Day Five Biggies and Birdies

So as we had to spend the afternoon in camp after the excitement with the Ellie at the fence (still trying to upload the video)

The next morning we decided to go down to BND seeing that we had some great sightings there last year .

As we continued along the road had some thing to eat at Afsaal the Wifie again said she is realy feeling sick and think we need to go back to camp :slap:

So I decided to then make a lekker potjie that afternoon and just enjoy the camp atmosphere

On our short route we saw this

This Big Guy Can someone confirm is this a Tusker

Also a first Cape Eagle Owl

This Sunbird ID please ?

A bit far

Maraboe

This guy having Lunch

Precision

Found this guy in the camping area any one knows this

TBC

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Brilliant scenes Radman :clap:
Your second picture is a Black Shouldered Kite :D
Your owl is a Giant Eagle owl 8) They are amazing creatures :D
The far off bird is the woodland kingfisher! The most beautiful sound in the bush :D

I absolutely love a buffalo crossing! A Kruger Special I call it :dance: I have struggled to see big herds of Buffs on my last two trips :( Hopefully next time though!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Best/Funniest Forumite Name of the Year (2012)
Good evening Radman,
You really had excellent sightings ..... "on going" :dance: and the baby buff is cute :D

I am going and try to ID your moth - Pine Emperor Moth (Denne Pouoogmot) :hmz:

Your Sunbird could be the White-bellied Sunbird :D

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next