Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 9
 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: melph68's The webcams made me do it! KNP, March '12
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Cammer of the Year (2013)
Award: Cammer of the Year (2012)
The webcams made me do it :wink:

Well, that’s not entirely true, but they certainly played a huge part in shaping my journey to visit 3 of them. So I thought this was an apt title for my very first SANParks Trip Report :thumbs_up:

Before I talk more about the cams though, I just want to take you back a few years to where my story began…

This trip of a lifetime to Africa started in April 2009 after I saw 10 minutes of a documentary about an orphaned baby honey badger. Badger was adopted by Richard and Bookey Peek and raised on their wildlife sanctuary in Zimbabwe. I was so mesmerised by little Badger, that I had to learn more about him. After searching the internet I discovered that Bookey had written several autobiographies about Badger and all the other animals she and Richard share their lives with. I ordered the books. Read them and loved them. They were so inspiring to me, and the descriptions of African wildlife left me yearning to see the animals myself.

I’d never written to an author before, but I just had to let Bookey know how wonderful I thought her stories were. I couldn’t believe it when I got a reply from Bookey PLUS an invitation to visit their sanctuary!! I was over the moon :dance: :dance: :dance:

So I made up my mind, then and there, that I was going to Africa :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: The webcams made me do it!
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:59 am 
The wonderful world of SANParks webcams :D

Following Bookey's invitation I filled my life with all things Africa. Books, movies, documentaries.

Then one day I found a website with webcams set-up over waterholes in SA National Parks 8) 8) 8)
It didn’t take long before I was completely hooked :tongue: :lol:
I was in awe of the animals I saw coming to drink and watched the cams every spare moment I had :roll: :whistle:

One night I saw what I thought might be wild hunting dogs :big_eyes:
I got the courage up to register on the forum and made my very first post on 5th August 2009.

melph68 wrote:
Hello. Just wondering if the animals in this grainy pic could be wild hunting dogs? That would be so cool!!

I'm new here. This website and forum is fantastic!

Thanks.

I received the most wonderful welcome from forumites and instantly felt part of big supportive and like-minded family of nature lovers :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: And with a little encouragement I became a dedicated cammer :thumbs_up: Those little windows into a whole new world became constant companions on my computer desktop. Not surprisingly then, my Africa travel plans evolved to include a visit to as many of the cams as possible. Unfortunately, due to logistical reasons, we won’t make it to the Nossob cam :doh:

So on the 1st March this year me and my dad David board a plane bound for Africa :dance: :dance: :dance:
We are spending the first week in Zimbabwe, seeing Victoria Falls and then spending 5 days at Richard and Bookey’s wildlife sanctuary southwest of Bulawayo 8)

From there we fly back to Joburg and my “3 cams in 3 weeks” pilgrimage begins :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As well as the excitement of seeing my first wild lion, giraffe, ellie etc, etc, I am also privileged to be meeting up with some forum legends and luminaries such as Meandering Mouse, chirinda, Shi, Magic Guarri, Lionspoon and Spots, and RonnieL.

I will post my camp dates below in the hope that I might meet up with many more mites along the way :pray:
I’ll be flying my yellow ribbon loud and proud! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:10 am 
Camp dates :D

10th, 11th March - Punda Maria
12th, 13th March - Olifants
14th, 15th March - Satara and Cam #1 :mrgreen:
16th, 17th, 18th March - Lower Sabie
19th, 20th March - Berg-en-Dal
21st, 22nd March - Orpen and Cam #2 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
25th, 26th March - Karoo National Park
27th, 28th, 29th March - Addo Elephant Park and Cam #3 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We arrive back in Australia on the 1st of April, and I imagine it will take me quite some time to settle back into Sydney life :? :lol:

Once I do though, I’m sure I will have some exciting stories and photos to share :cam:

Until then, I wish you all well :thumbs_up:

Africa here we come!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 am 
Thank you so much billyf, MM, Toko, lion queen, Lionspoon, ils, chirinda, Tawny, PetraJ, Magic Guarri, hilda, and Anri for your support and good wishes :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have been quite frantic the past couple of days, with a few last minute packing and paperwork panics :tongue:

But shortly I will go to pick my Dad up from the train station and tomorrow we catch the plane :dance: :dance: :dance:

Best to you all and bye for now, Mel :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 am 
Crikey!!
as we Aussies say when we are overwhelmed by something. I am truly touched by all the support this TR has received while I was away :D :D :D

Thank you so much Lionspoon, vinkie, Flying Cheetah, RichardJ, PJL, MM, chirinda, Melrockson, Hilda, Pumbaa, katydownunder, Puppy, Matthys, Dotty, Meerkitty, cheetah2111, icurrie, roaneric and Magic Guarri for all your kind words and encouragement :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Plus a special big thank you to MM, chirinda and Lionspoon for providing updates along the way :gflower: :gflower:

Physically I am back here in Sydney, but I swear my brain – and large parts of my heart and soul - are still in SA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I’m a bit scattered and my body still wants to sleep at SA time :tongue:

So right now I’m just enjoying settling back in with SO and the teens and my beloved kitties before going back to work after Easter. But I promise I'll start sorting through my photos soon – although there are about 10,000 of them!! :shock: :shock: :? :lol:

So I do hope you all check back in again when I finally get started writing about my amazing first time adventure in South Africa 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:06 am 
Thanks very much hilda, john n poppy, vinkie, MATTHYS, lion queen, barryels, sharifa, chirinda and katydownunder for hopping on board this TR :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Great expectations

I tried not to have any expectations and just let South Africa show me what she wanted, that way there could be no disappointment :thumbs_up:

Well, that’s what I told all my family and friends, but of course, I secretly had a wishlist :wink:
- lion
- leopard
- cheetah
- wild dog
- serval
- caracal
- honey badger
- python
Plus, if it wasn’t asking too much, I also wanted to hear a lion roar and a leopard “saw” :pray: :pray: :pray:

Some of my wishlist was granted :dance: Some of it wasn’t :roll:

At one point during the 2 weeks in Kruger I became a bit despondent, as everyone we met on the road had amazing stories of incredible sightings – a lion pride with 8 cubs strolling along the s100, a leopard playing with a stick in a waterhole, cheetah and wild dogs galore :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It seemed we were just minutes too late on the scene, or had chosen a different road to drive :slap:

That being said though, the sightings we did have were ALL incredible and amazing to us. Every day we saw something new 8) 8) 8)
Plus, as well as the animals, my experience in SA was just as much about the wonderful people I met along the way :D :D :D

So sit back, relax and I hope you will enjoy this account of me and my Dad’s trip of a lifetime :thumbs_up:

Our first view of Africa!! :dance:

Just over half an hour before we touchdown in Johannesburg!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:04 am 
A sanctuary amidst the struggle

We landed safely at OR Tambo and were whisked away to a lovely guesthouse not far from the airport.
Next morning we were back at the airport boarding a plane bound for Zimbabwe.

Obviously I can’t tell you too much about our week at the wildlife sanctuary, except that the whole experience affected me deeply.

The landscape was stunning. Lots of granite kopjes and caves with ancient rock art gave it a strong spiritual energy.

Plus, we saw heaps of animals - sable, eland, black eagles, dassies, klipspringer, and I had a great time discovering all the reptiles they had on the property :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

One of the most memorable experiences though was a visit to the local primary school, where we spent an afternoon with the kids. Vibrant, warm, friendly, with happy smiles despite the plight of their beautiful country.
It was all at once heartwarming and heartbreaking :D :(

But most of our time was spent with the head scout Jubilane.

He taught us so much about the animals, their scats and spoor and behaviour :thumbs_up:
Here is he measuring the size of a leopard from the tracks left on the road not long before we came past :shock: 8)

It was a great learning experience for Dad and I and a perfect training ground for the spotting skills we would need when we got to Kruger 8) 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:31 am 
Tears and beers

By the time we had to say goodbye to the sanctuary I was overwhelmed by emotion.
There were teary farewells :cry: But an invitation to visit again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All of a sudden it seemed we were back at OR Tambo airport and having to deal with a whole new reality.
It was difficult to get my head around :?

And who was the bright spark that decided it was a good idea to hire a car at the airport and navigate SA roads to meet MM an hour away? :rtm:

Oh yes, that was me Image
What was I thinking?? :slap:

It was my job to drive and Dad’s job to operate the GPS. A helpful fellow who’d seen us waving the GPS around out the car window came over and told us the GPS would pick up our signal once we were out of the carpark. We didn’t have a map but I knew from correspondence with MM that we needed to get on the R21, and something about the Krugersdorp exit. The kind man pointed us to the rental exit and said “Don’t worry, you’ll be right once the GPS gets a signal" :thumbs_up:

We found our way out of the airport onto the R21 and thought we were doing very well driving in a different country :D
Only trouble was that a big black cloud lay thick overhead and it was taking forever for the GPS to pick up the satellites....

Meanwhile, was that an exit sign saying something about Krugersdorp?? :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
Oh no, we were in the wrong lane and headed to Pretoria!! :wall: :wall: :wall:
Sleep-deprived, lost, on the verge of tears, I did a u-turn at a roundabout, and turned into a petrol station to buy a map.
Oh dear, they didn’t sell maps :?

Phoned MM in a bit of a panic. Image

Now, I thought to myself, how do I come across as a bright and cheery Aussie about to stay at your house for two nights when I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown? All I could stammer out was "we’re lost”.

MM was just wonderful and very patient with the increasingly anxious Aussie on the phone.
“Mmmm, mmmm, yes, yes....” she said, summing up our situation.
Then very calmly MM instructed us to go back down the N1 to Joburg and take the N14 Krugersdorp exit.
OK, roger that, over and out :thumbs_up:

Intense concentration was required to drive as seemingly suicidal drivers sailed past us at supersonic speeds.
And I thought Sydney traffic was bad! :shock:

Driving driving driving, looking out for the N14 exit sign. Where was the darn thing? Started to worry that we had missed it again so stopped at a Total petrol station to have a rest, settle the nerves and buy a road map! Phoned MM again to let her know where we were. “Not too far now until you’ll see the exit to Krugersdorf” she said. Hooray!!!

So off we went again. And I don’t know if it was because we were very tired Aussies, but the road signs in SA seemed very hard to interpret :hmz:
Was that the exit road? Or is it the next one? Oh no, it was the first one!!
Like a total tourist I completely flouted all the road rules to drive up the kerb and over a grassy verge onto the exit road.

(Luckily no tortoises were injured in the reckless manoeuvre :wink: )

Thank goodness, we were getting closer. Next we had to look out for the signs to Lanseria Airport on Malibongwe Rd. Easy done. Found Lanseria Airport, but where was that big Lion Park sign MM said we would see?? Pulled over and called MM for the 3rd time :whistle: Told her where we were and praise the universe she said we were only about 3km from Maggie’s Farm where we were to meet :dance: :dance: :dance:

When MM pulled up beside us I leapt out of the car and raced over to give her a big hug :k
I have never been so happy to see someone I’ve never met before!! :D :D :D
Then all we had to do was follow MM back to her house.

And thankfully, MM knew a thing or two about Aussies :thumbs_up: She had a fridge full of ice-cold beer!! :lol:

After unloading the car, we settled down with MM and her furry friends to toast our eventual arrival and ease away a few of the tensions. Over a few more beers and a delicious dinner that MM had obviously slaved over for hours, we chatted more about the week we’d just had in Zimbabwe. This brought memories and overwhelming emotions flooding back to me, so when MM asked if I was OK, that was all it took for the flood gates to open.

I felt sooooo embarrassed :redface: :redface: :redface:
Fancy blubbering away in front of this wonderful woman we had just met, who had so generously invited us to stay.

As it turns out, who better to have a breakdown in front of than MM?? :thumbs_up:
Dad excused himself and went to bed early, while MM gave me the space and “permission” to just let it all out. We stayed up to all hours of the evening, with plenty more beers and tears. It was exactly what I needed and by the time I went to bed I knew I would be back to my usual bright self in the morning....

Apart from a slightly seedy feeling :tongue: I was much better the next day – and not a tear in sight :D :D

MM had planned an outing to Sterkfontein caves. What an amazing place. The very cradle of humankind 8) 8) 8)

On the way back to MMs, we stopped at her favourite SPAR to stock up on supplies for our upcoming trip to Kruger.
Oh, and we also needed to replenish the beer stocks :whistle:

That evening was lots of fun, chatting away over another of MMs yummy dinners, and a few beers of course. We were much more sensible than the night before and went to bed at a reasonable hour to be refreshed for the special breakfast planned for 8am the next morning.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 am 
Thanks heaps for the encouraging comments kwagga 1 and Shi and great to see you here Bushbuddies!! :gflower: :gflower: :thumbs_up:

Now, even my SO gave me a rev up on the weekend and said "Just get on with it will you?" So....

Kruger here we come! But not before a hearty breakfast :D :D

For the first time in my life, I was to be the “surprise guest” at a gathering 8) Unfortunately the date for the “Breakfast in the Cradle” fundraising greet clashed with the cricket at Skukuza :slap: Nonetheless I was absolutely thrilled to be meeting 2 wonderful forumites, so I was up and dressed and eagerly awaiting their arrival. Dad and I started packing the car and most importantly, put the yellow ribbon on our trusty Terios while we were waiting :thumbs_up:

First, the incomparable Shi arrived :dance: :dance: :dance: This was at 8am, after she had already been awake at 2am to pick her brother up from the airport :shock: and still looking gorgeous!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Shi handed over a box of treats for our trip - biltong, dried boer wors, and a 6-pack of Christies!! AWESOME :lol:

Soon after the lovely chirinda arrived, also bearing a large basket full of goodies :clap: :clap: :clap: A huge batch of the most delicious cheese puffs, and a tub of crunchy cornflake cookies. Chirinda also presented me with a “lucky bag” which did indeed bring me great luck on the last day in Kruger :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MM laid on an incredible breakfast, of everything imaginable. We all had such a fun time eating and chatting about Kruger and Dad and I were given lots of valuable advice :thumbs_up:

At this point I would like to acknowledge a pledge I made of R50 for every mite who turned up to the fundraising breakfast.
So that would be me, Dad, MM, Shi and chirinda. Plus I reckon Duke counts as well :wink:

All up I donate R300 for the mobile webcam project :D :D

Even though we were excited to be on our way to Kruger, the brekky seemed to end all too quickly and we had to say goodbye to our lovely new friends. Dad and I left feeling completely overwhelmed by the generosity of these 3 wonderful women :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

And MM even invited us back to stay on our last night in SA! :lol:

The drive to Punda Maria

After our delicious breakfast we were all set for the 6 hour road trip to Punda Maria gate :dance: :dance: :dance:
MM had suggested we travel the Giyani Rd, as it offered better scenery than the more commonly used road to the northern gate of Kruger.

And indeed, it was a very interesting route to take. We stopped at Polokwane for petrol and to answer the call of nature. It was the first time I've ever had to pay to use the restrooms! It reminded me of the old saying "Just going to spend a penny".

As we got further from the city and larger towns we started to get a real feel of rural SA 8)
These confused goats were crossing where the cows were supposed to! :wink:

I absolutely loved the round thatched dwellings.
In fact, I asked if Dad would build me one when we got home (pretty please Dad :wink: ).

And then finally, there it was - the Punda Maria gate!!! WOW, were we excited :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dad waited in the car while I went into Reception. All went smoothly. I got the entry permit and bought a map of the park.

By this stage it was 4pm and we had a 10km drive to the Punda Camp. What would we see first??

I remembered the luck Flying Cheetah had after seeing a diderick cuckoo 8) 8) 8)
We drove slowly, our eyes eagerly scanning all around us, when suddenly I yelled "Stop!!"
Our first sighting was a fork-tailed drongo. I wondered what luck this bird would bring to us? :hmz: :hmz:

Next thing we started to notice on the road was ellie poo :lol:
Dad and I had never seen ellie poo before so this was a very exciting sighting for us :dance: :dance: :dance:
Plus our first impala! :thumbs_up:

Next we saw our first kudu accompanied by oxpecker.

Then a cute little squirrel. We don’t get squirrels in Oz, so we stayed and watched his antics for a while.

Made it to Punda Maria camp and smoothly checked into safari tent #5.
Had a simple dinner and planned our route for the next day - our first full day in Kruger!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:41 am 
Our first full day in Kruger!!

Dad and I were excited about EVERYTHING we saw!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Our first Kruger sunrise :D

Some birds were looking absolutely gorgeous in the early morning light 8) Please help with the IDs if I've got them wrong :thumbs_up:

yellow hornbill

woodland kingfisher

Carmine bee-eater

Cattle egret?

Our very first manufacturer of ellie poo!! :clap: :lol:

Our first giraffe :clap:

Our first sholongolo :clap:

Reptiles of the day :dance: :dance: :dance:

Driving along the H13-2 I was looking up at a bateleur overhead and then when I looked down again, what was that on the roadside??
"Stop!!" I yelled to Dad. But by the time I got the camera ready the bushpig had disappeared into the long grass :doh:
I've only seen bushpig on the cams before, so I was thrilled to see one, but very disappointed not to get a photo.

Unfortunately our first buffalo refused to lift his head up out of the grass :slap:
But doesn't his coat look amazing all thick with mud :thumbs_up:

Driving along the Nyala Loop, we pressed thumbs that we would see the animal the road was named after :pray:
Suddenly, I saw something :shock:
"Stop!!" I yelled to Dad (he was such a wonderful and patient driver throughout our adventure :whistle: :lol:)
Who is that hiding in the grass pretending to be an impala?
OMG - our first nyala!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A bit further around the loop we also came across our first breeding herd of ellies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We were a little anxious as they browsed not more than 10m from the car, but they all seemed very calm and relaxed 8)

After completing the loop we decided to go back to where we'd seen the nyala impersonating impala.
And this time he was standing up to give us our first full view of a magnificent nyala bull :dance: :dance: :dance:

By this stage it was lunchtime, so we headed to the Parfuri picnic site for a pit stop.
A fellow noticed our yellow ribbon and came over to introduce himself. It was Frank - I was thrilled to meet him :D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 am 
That afternoon...

We had a lovely chat with Frank about some of the birds we could hear calling and then sat at a table to eat our lunch.
After I'd finished writing up the morning sightings in my journal and ticking them off the sightings list in the Kruger info book, we headed off to see Crooks Corner. Not far into the journey and we saw this beauty :mrgreen:

Our first female nyala! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dad and I found Crooks Corner very interesting - the place where 3 countries meet 8) 8) 8)
Here we also saw our first crocs, hippos, vervets and a fish eagle (which was too far away for a photo).

On the way back to camp we saw our first warthog, duiker and guinea fowls :D

Plus some more lovely birds :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

lilac-breasted roller

I think this must be an adult and juvenile European bee-eater :hmz: They were in the same tree together.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:06 am 
Our first zebra at a peaceful waterhole scene with some more female nyala 8)

Another gorgeous giraffe (pity I cut the top of his horns off, otherwise it might have been a great photo :doh: )

And even though impala are the most common antelope in the park, Dad and I always found them endlessly entertaining :D
I made Dad stop so I could get an impala photo every day. Here's our 1st "Impala pic of the Day" :wink:

The final animal we saw on the way back to camp was this young kudu taking in the last of the afternoon sun.

That evening Dad cooked up a delicious braai of sausages and potato :thumbs_up:

Afterwards we sat on our deck, having a beer and ticking off all the animals we’d seen that day on the Kruger sightings check-list when I noticed a movement on the deck. OMG!!! I said, very quietly to Dad. "Don't move, there is a genet sitting behind you!!!" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dad had his little camera on the table, so we quickly took a few photos with that. Then I decided to try and sneak inside to get my camera that I’d left charging on the bed. Very slowly, without looking at the genet (so he'd think I hadn't seen him), I crept inside, grabbed my camera and crept back out to sit down again at the table.

Remarkably the genet hadn't moved!! In fact he seemed very at ease and sat with us for about 20 minutes 8) 8) 8)
I guess he wanted some of Dad's sausages (but of course we didn't give him any) :naughty:
**See Lionspoon there IS food to go with the beer! :wink: :lol:

I snapped away, trying with flash, without flash, twilight scene mode etc....hoping to get a decent photo of this gorgeous creature :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
These were the best of the lot :cam:

I have only seen genet on the cams before, where they just look black and white. So I was amazed when I did look back at the photos and saw the beautiful reddish colouration in the spots 8) :thumbs_up:

And who could sleep after that???!! :big_eyes:
But we had a long drive to Olifants the next day so I closed my eyes and hoped for some sleep to come……

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 am 
Punda Maria to Olifants

As Dad and I were packing to leave Punda that morning we started chatting with a fellow in the neighbouring carspace. He was leaving the park after being in Kruger for 7 days and was so disappointed because he hadn't seen a lion!
Gulp? No lions? :shock: :shock: That poor family :(
People had told me that Kruger was crawling with cats! :mrgreen:
Could it really be possible that Dad and I would see no cats while we were in Kruger? :?

So we left Punda in a reflective mood, though staying positive :thumbs_up:
Afterall, it was only our 2nd full day in the park and we had another 12 to go, so we still had a very good chance of seeing some big cats :pray: :pray: :pray:

Took the H1-8 then H1-7. Along the way we saw impala, zebra, giraffe and our first jackals!! :dance:

One of the pair had brekky in its mouth :shock:

Then out of the sky came a raptor trying to steal their breakfast. I think it was a pale phase tawny? :hmz:

The eagle was left with empty talons and a grumpy disposition :wink:

Our next sighting was of a bateleur that did get something to eat 8) 8)
It swooped down onto the road in front of us and then carried it's catch up into a nearby tree.

It was about here into our adventure that I remembered my camera could take movies :thumbs_up:
However, when I got home and looked at them I discovered that I am the world's worst movie camera operator :slap:
Next time I will take one of those car window beanie bag things to help with the camera shake :wall:
Nonetheless, they are great memories for me and Dad 8)
So if you have the time and the inclination here is the link to my little bateleur with kill movie :D

Next, our first tsessebe :clap:

Just before Shingdwezi camp we had a very busy patch of sightings on the little causeway :thumbs_up:

Our first banded mongoose :dance: A terrible photo, but the only one I have from the 14 days.
Darn camera always wanted to focus on the grass in the foreground :doh:

Next up our first water monitor :dance: Isn’t he/she just gorgeous?? :wink:

And then our first bushbuck!! :dance:

We also saw our first hammerkops 8)

And our first terrapin :thumbs_up:
(although Dad and I actually thought it was some kind of poo on the side of the road when we first saw it in the distance :lol: )

WOW, we were still ticking off so many new animals :clap: :clap: :clap:
But by now Dad and I just wanted to see some cats!!!! :pray: :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:29 am 
Thank you tedredrum, MM, Lionspoon, hilda, lion queen, Melrockson, Meerkitty, ruthp, Bushbuddies, and vinkie for your lovely comments and interest in this TR :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

Your support really means a lot to me, and I promise there is more to come :thumbs_up:

But it is here that I'm going to hijack my own TR to pay tribute to the most gorgeous little cat in the world.

Yesterday, my darling Maxi left this life for another :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I knew that her health was waning before I left for Africa. Part of me didn't want to go in case she passed while I was gone.
So I begged her to hang in there until I got home, and she did, for 3 more wonderful weeks.
She was the absolute love of my life for 16 years, my best camming buddy, and I miss her so very much...

The rest of this TR is dedicated to my Maxi :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am 
Punda Maria to Olifants continued...

We turned onto the H1-6 and saw some ellies having fun at a water tank :thumbs_up:

Then they wandered down to the waterhole for a mud shower 8)
Here is a little movie of the ellies. Dad found them very amusing :lol:

After all that driving we were hungry so decided to stop at Letaba for lunch.
Just before we reached the camp we saw this handsome giraffe and I got my first good view of a wildebeest :thumbs_up:

When we pulled up in the Letaba carpark we saw our first sausage tree. But look out!! :wink:

Strolling around the camp we saw lots of squirrels and this delightful striped skink :D

After lunch we continued on our way to Olifants. The road ran along the river so we saw heaps of crocs and hippos, kudu, ellies, giraffe, impies, warties, buffalo…so much to see, but still no cats! :wall: :wall:
Dad and I were looking so hard for them that we started seeing log lions, rock lions, bush lions, lions in the shadows under trees… :roll: :lol:

Instead we saw some beautiful birds :D

brown snake eagle

African hoopoe

white-fronted bee-eaters

crested francolin

And vultures circling in the cloudy sky 8)

Oops and can't forget the Impala Pic of the Day :D :D

We arrived at Olifants camp just after 5pm.
Check-in was smooth and boy were we thrilled with our bungalow :mrgreen:

It had the most wonderful view :clap: :clap: :clap:

That night Dad cooked up a lekker braai of steak and tomato.
We sat on the verandah and enjoyed the sunset and the sound of the hippos.
It was pure bliss :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And I was delighted to see this charming Bibron's gecko before we went to bed 8) 8)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next