Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Satara Sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 pm 

I would like to know why there are no Satara Sightings like all the other camps?

NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER PARK

Post subject: Re: Satara Sightings
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mainly because I think the others were started by game rangers on the forums that report from there.
But hey we can have a topic where we share satara sightings :D 8) :thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:24 pm 

Hi All

It was our first visit as a married couple to KNP and one we will never forget.

We spent 3 nights at Satara and already hubby is asking when we can go back!

Below are a few photos of our sightings I would like to share. We saw Cheetah (S100) and 2 large male lions (S126), but the photo quality is not great, therefore I am not posting them.

This leopard was marking its territory and mock charged us - H1-2 between Skukuza and Satara.
Image http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/5914730781_040b884a3b_b.jpg

Young male lion part of pride of 3 males and 4 females early morning on the S126.
Image http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5314/5914732309_5c94b31d5b_b.jpg
Image http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/5915294066_929e026b35_b.jpg

1 from a clan of 8 hyenas on the same road further down - S126 (same road where we saw the first 2 large male lions as well).
Image http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5079/5914735967_be9b0a0e5f_b.jpg

Male Steenbok on the S40, notice the one horn is deformed.
Image http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6031/5915322862_5136152d22_b.jpg

Another leopard spotted at Gudzani Dam late afternoon.
Image http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6058/5915289238_9f0590384b_b.jpg

Cannot wait for our next trip in October!

Cheers

Last edited by Bushlady on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:56 pm 

Your photos are gorgeous. You should be proud.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 pm 

:clap: :clap: Love your pics, especially the lion whose tonsils I can see!!
What great sightings.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:12 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Bobbyleigh thats so fantastic :dance: :dance:
Satara is my favorite area of the Park! Have always seen LOTS of lion around satara. Only one leopard sighting near satara, and still seeking my cheetah :pray:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 am 

Thank you fee and Bundi, the photos I am proud of, but the video is another story :wall: The second leopard sighting was just amazing and the moment too big for us, so the video is all shaky from the adrenaline rush, but nevertheless we can still laugh about it :doh:

The leopard actually found us, we were relaxing with a glass of amarula admiring the giraffe coming down to Gudzani dam to quench their thirst and the hippos playing in the water when my hubby spotted the leopard walking in the bush behind us. We could not believe what we saw and we consider ourselves very fortunate to be blessed with such an amazing sighting. I have been to the KNP dozens of times before and never saw leopard, especially not twice in one trip :dance:

Perhaps hubby is my good luck charm :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Satara sightings?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Hi LionJunkie,

We just returned from KNP and stayed a couple of nights in Satara(14th of July until the 18th of July 2011).
Seen a lot of lions(H1-4 from Satara-Olifants, S100, during the morning walk on the riverbank of the Mavumbye river I think).
Leopard(there was a sighting on the H1-4 from Satara-Olifants just before the junction S90 5min before we arrived, and on the H1-3 from Satara-Tshokwane just after the bridge, there is a leopard on the S100 near a waterhole we were told).
4 Cheetah’s(on the S127 from Satara-Timbavati picnic spot).

We didn’t see any Wild Dogs but other travelers have seen them they say……
Also in April 2011 our South African friends have spotted a pack of Wild Dogs near Satara(we saw the pictures as proof :D )

Good luck spotting them…..bring binoculars and a big lens...lions are just in reach of 300mm lens.

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Last edited by vinkie on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Forgot to mention:

S100: pregnant lioness, lioness with cubs on riverbank
S36 from Lugmag(waterhole)-Mondzweni: a couple of lions
H1-4 Satara to Olifants: Hyenas
H-9 Lataba-Phalaborwa Gate: 2 male cheethas

They are hard to spot at this moment because of the grass colour. :?

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:07 pm 

Hi Lion Junkie, we have just returned from 5 nights at Satara 17-22 July, it was awesome. There were lion on every road and visability 7-10/10 mostly.We saw lion kills on the Sweni road(buff pie) 6kms infrom H1-3 and on H1-4 a zebra kill, lioness with 2 cubs at Nsemani dam on H7 crossing the road, 4 adult lions drinking on far side of dam, a large male lion in the grass on the corner of H1-3 and S100, lions near Timbavati on S127 ( people later said they had made a kill there), we went on a night drive and were so happy to see 2 male lion on the first no entry road behind the mini substation about 4km right side of road just after leaving Satara, we were most fortunate to have Honerary Ranger Koos drive us 3 hours of GREAT HAPPINESS.We took the Orpen road one morning and saw lion about 7 km from Orpen, wild dog were seen on Rabelais loop and leopard at Maroela Camp, On our way south to Malane Camp we were so fortunate to see a leopard visual 5/10 at Mazithi dam onH1-3. At Malalane Camp 23-27 July we saw lion on S110 and in river bed on S119 lioness and 6 lion cubs. A leopard kill in a tree just passed Ampies se boorgat S118. Hope this helps. We were so blessed and the most special was lieing in the tent at night hearing the hyneas, jackals, and lion sweet African dreams . Have a wonderful trip, we were blessed

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm 

Was up in Satara 27/28th July. On the Orpen (H7) at Nsemani dam, we saw a lioness with six cubs walking along the bank. Another female member of the pride lying on the bank.
There seemed to have been a kill the previous night behind a few bushes, but the vultures and black backed jackal were certainly waiting their turn to gorge.
On th 28th July - early morning we went back to the dam and saw a mating pair of lions lying right next to the road, as well as the lioness again with her cubs. Amazing sighting.
There was also a huge herd of buffalo, some of which came down to the dam to drink.

I will post pics this weekend.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am 

Thanks for all the help guys!

We had a great trip! Saw lions on 3 different occasions at Nsemani Dam (2 males and 4 females). We also had a leopard on the side of the road at the bridge right at Satara. Also had 1 males and 4 females on a buffalo kill 1 km west of nsemani and an old lioness approached and they attacked her. I don't know if it was due to her being so old and they couldn't help but attack weakness or if it was just that she was an interloper. We also had a female cheetah 10kms north of satara at midday walking parallel to the road and had another 4 cheetah in the same place 3 days later. Our best was our last full day with 2 big males 10kms north of satara towards olifants. They walked in the road, scent marked right in front of us and proceeded to move on. A few kms further on, at Ngotso waterhole, we had 4 males and 2 females that surrounded my little citroen and they proceeded to hunt impala (they missed) and ended up mock-mating amongst each other. Interesting behaviour indeed. They then moved off. And that morning we had two young males about 2 km north of girivana towards timbavati picnic spot which we saw cross the road just before the gates closed. Finally, had 4 lions on rabelais about 1km from the tar, on the satara side of rabelais loop. 2 very big and impressive males.

All in all, a great trip with repeated elephant drinking, lots of rhino and a few good herds of buffalo. Also, good hyena sightings and 3 civets overall! Also, had a lucky reedbuck sighting too.

The park always delivers and thanks for all the help!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
The element that satara has over all the other camps is that one can drive in every direction :D :D

Although that always makes it difficult to decide where to drive in the mornings :hmz: Trip reports have shown many cheetah sightings over the winter season on the s100, as well as leopard and lion. :thumbs_up:

Any other reports from Satara?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 pm 

During our stay at Satara just over a week ago we had lion sitings on the S100 - fairly distant lone male. Lions along the H7 towards Nsemani dam.

Lions brought down a large male Kudu on the s126 our friends (john n poppy) were there just after it happened. As we were all on a sunset drive together that evening so persuaded the driver to take us down there and we had a fantastic evening around the kill site and just along the s126 we didn't need to venture far - saw lions galore, hyenas, large herd of elephants, rhino, large herd of buffs, plus the usual civets, gennets etc which I always enjoy.

It was amazing when we returned to the kill site towards the end of the drive when the large pride males came in to feed bellowing like crazy and chasing off the youngsters, females and hyenas - we had the spots moving like crazy to follow the action.

I have to say that on the whole compared to previous visits we had very few lion sitings, far more leopards this time. The lion sitings we did have were mostly in Satara, Skukuza area.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 am 

This morning I went towards Tshokwane.found an injured lioness , 2 cheetahs sitting on an ant hill and leopard crossing road.
This afternoon I found a leopard 2km from Balule.it had a zebra carcass in the tree almost on the road, 2 hyenas sitting by the tree and the leopard sitting on a rock waiting.
Was running a bit late to return to Satara, came to the tar road and not even a km 10 lion cubs on the road, no mum n dad :dance:
Someone told me, the Nsemani pride seen again today with cubs, giraffe kill 7km south of Tshokwane and leopard with kill in tree 2km south of that :doh:
Lions were also spotted on the s100

It really happening around here :D

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395