Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Copyright Laws for digital
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 pm 

Goofy Queston Alert....

I've been wondering if anyone know how the copyright laws have changed for digital format?

The old format (film) your proof of ownership was the original negitive or slide but now with digital you do not have the "hardcopy" to prove it is yours and yours only.

Any input?

If this has been addressed somewhere else feel free to smack me with a trout.... or please direct me to the thread. Sorry

WHOA!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:16 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Just a heads-up, on this site you can download (for free) a little program that will let you watermark your photo's. Not with text, but with a logo or such that you can create yourself. It's a basic program, but it works.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:48 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Canon is using Iris watermarking to take photographer’s copyright protection to the next level.

. . . to provide an imaging apparatus that makes it possible to protect the copyright of photographic images by reliably acquiring biological information of a photographer . . . - US Patent Application No. 2008/0025574

Read more here...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You have to register all your shots with a proper copyright agency, normaly govt organisations.

You send in a dvd with thumbnails of all your shots and then you are legally sorted 100%.

At the end of the day if some personal user downloads and uses a shot on his desktop or whatever then so what, they would never have bought that anyway.
Web rez pics are tiny for printing anyway.
If a company uses it for something like an ad etc, then you can score big bucks out of them , made easier if you have registered your shots properly.

Post subject: Re: Copyright Laws for digital
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

GoofyPEST wrote:
Goofy Queston Alert....

I've been wondering if anyone know how the copyright laws have changed for digital format?

The old format (film) your proof of ownership was the original negitive or slide but now with digital you do not have the "hardcopy" to prove it is yours and yours only.

Any input?

If this has been addressed somewhere else feel free to smack me with a trout.... or please direct me to the thread. Sorry

The best way is to first of all shoot in RAW , these files are often considered a "negative" in digital and are hard to manipulate.
Another trick is to crop any image you put online slightly,then if you have an issue versus another photog or something, you can show your raw uncropped image, and they will only sit with a smaller jpeg.
You will also likely have a sequence of similar shots before and after.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
I have always wondered why you good photographers that sell your pics online only put a small copyright notice on your pics? Most of them are in such places that they can be cropped out without losing anything on the picture itself. Also right click protection on web sites mean absolutely nothing. It is so easy to get past that. If I were any good I would splash the copyright right over the centre of the picture

I don't copy protect my pictures because I feel that the resolution which I use to publish pictures on the Internet is not worth protecting. The worst that can happen is that the picture is used on a commercial website. It has happened to me once before. When I complained and threatened legal action (which is actually very difficult) I was paid. If it should happen again then I'll deal with it. Small copyright watermarks won't help against piracy like that and I hate pictures with big watermarks through the middle.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Its like someone was reading my mind...I have sent PM to some forumites asking this question...I have lightroom (that I know nothing about, it came with my 40d), but I have also searched the internet and read that you can program it into your cam? :redface: how, I dont know.... :redface: Im not worried about ppl taking my photo and use it, for now.... I only want my name to appear on my pic...I used the very usefull tool of bordermaker, but sometimes my name is in the middle, on top, or underneath...once I get into the Park for my year it will become more serious and the more I can learn now the better....Bucky, you mean I have to put all my pics on a disk (maybe 1 Million after a year) and send it to some agency :roll: to make sure they are protected.....Please I need all the help I can get...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Putting all your pics on a disc and registering them with an agency will still not protect you from copyright as such, but it will help if you ever wish to take legal action against somebody.

In digital photo pro for instance you can as a batch resize all your shots to thumbnail and convert to jpeg in 1 go.
If you wish to register your photos then you just send those in, it does not have to be a processed shot or anything, just the basic image as taken.

At the end of the day if you are afraid people will copy your stuff, then don't put it online, nobody can escape copying its just something you have to live with I suppose :?