Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loudest Night in the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:59 pm 

After going to the Kruger for many years I had the most strange night ever .

We stayed in Lower Sabie in the furnished tent on the perimiter.

Once night fell , these egyptian geese didnt stop making noise till the morning . Then the hippos started and one sounded so loud we thought he is outside our hut. The lions started roaring and then the hyenas . The sound was so loud we just had to enjoy the evening , a real bush experience .It then sounded that a hippo was getting killed by both lion and hyena

My wife went to the bathroom as these furnished tents have their own WC and she found a huge iguana in the toilet and she had to go so she had to use the bush and a bat almost took her head off.
She woke alot of people with her screams
Something was hitting against our door and I thought it cant be a human must be an animal , when I went to the door to peep , I found an african wild cat trying to get in.

Was this the best night ever or the worst ? I loved it ,my wife needs counselling :(

Post subject: Re: Loudest Night in the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 pm 

:funny: :funny: Carrim

I can see the funny side to this. My SO would have had a bad time as well and she would not have gone to bed until the visitor in the bathroom had been removed!! What happened to the iguana?

I would have loved just chilling and listening to all the sounds (except for the egyptian geese, they are noisy things). Must have been awesome.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:funny: :clap: :clap:

:whistle: :whistle: Oh when the aminals come marching in... :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life
Truly a "African experience" :lol: :lol:

Tamboti 10,11,12 May 2014
Lower Sabie 13 & 14 May 2014
Olifants 15,16,17 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 am 

My girlfriend and i were staying at skukuza and for about 3 nights we were kept awake by something that sounded like a screaming baby. i thought i was going to go mad.it sounded like it was in our tent. On our last day we were packing up camp early in the morning and i heard a russel in the tree above our tent. There was a bush baby. We found out later that a bush baby sounds like it is crying. So it was worth it in the end

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few years ago , we spent a night in Shipandani birdhide . The hippos were quite rowdy as usual , and of course , after "lights-out" came out onto dry land to graze , and could be heard heard munching away . At one time , it seems one of them had a bad itch , and rubbed against the hide until it was shaking to the point of almost falling over . :roll:
At least , this is what my SO told me next day . She did not sleep a wink !
And me ?
Never heard a thing - I slept like a baby . :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I was camping at Doispane (unfenced ex-ranger post) in a thin nylon tent...... Lions decided to visit the waterhole just behind the tent during the evening, and 'talked' to each other loudly. I sent my sister an sms - she replied 'just tell them to say grace'. In the morning I replied to her....'they did.....all night!' It was amazing.

Next night we had all gone to bed when unearthly screaming snarling growling noises woke us up. Someone shone a red spotlight, and I peered through the gauze of my tent from my bed.....and looked straight at a hyena just a few metres away! 2 hyenas were having a scrap about something. They moved off a bit, and I settled back to sleep (we were told the previous night to stay in our tents and we would be safe, so I put that advice to practice....). Then I heard rustling, and one hyena moved between my car and my tent, tripping over the guy ropes as it went! After that all went quiet and I slept....

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 am 

I was at croc bridge 2 weeks back and the lions started their bed time stories at 21:00 and lasted for a while, it sounded like they were at the gate. Managed to find him in the morning near the hippo pools. I'm not complaining as I love that sound of lions roaring, but the wife :big_eyes: :doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A few years ago there was a massive lighting storm in Skukuza. No rain, no wind .. just lightning running across the skies and smashing with the force of a 100 hippos charging for the river. I thought I was in a club somewhere in Jhb. Was an amazing sight that went on for about an hour (maybe I should not stand outside with lighting striking like that) :lol:

If I had my camera back then, I could have had awesome lighting strike photo's :?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 pm 

In June 2011 we stayed at Tamboti for 2 nights. Amazing camp. :clap: While we were having our braai in the evening the elephants were grazing in the river bed and the baboons were on the opposite river bank forraging and playing in the trees, so it was one of those wonderful bushveld evenings. The elephants moved off and as night fell it was really quiet. The nightjars were calling and a lone hyena could be heard in the distance. Soon it was lights out and then all hell broke lose :twisted: . The baboons had obviously been lying in wait :sniper: and as soon as the last light in the camp went out, they all crossed the river bed and made their way into the camp. The raid was on! Dustbins were being attacked (depsite all the effort that has been put into making them baboon proof), tents were being used as trampolines and a fight club had been set up. The baboons were fighting and screaming, the hyenas in the river bed where cheering them on, the Franklins were more stressed than normal and the Guinea Foul had a lot to say about their sleep being disturbed. In the morning my husband told me that he needed to go to the toilet but he was too scared to venture out of the tent, so he spent the whole night just concentrating on how badly he needed the toilet, needless to say, at first light he was out the door like a cheetah to get to the toilets, but we stopped dead in our tracks when the honey badgers that were raiding the dustbin ran passed us. We still laugh about that night to this day. :lol:

7- 8 Oct - Punda Maria
9 Oct - Shingwedzi
10 Oct - Mopani
11 Oct - Letaba
12 & 13 Oct - Olifants
14 Oct - Satara
15 Oct - Lower Sabie