Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scariest and funniest moments in KNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My scariest (and funniest but only afterwards) was years ago in Satara.
Late one night, we took a walk up to the waterhole just outside Stanley House.
We could make out two forms crouched down, drinking.
I had the torch, and shone it in the direction of these two creatures.
The moment the beam landed on them, four red eyes looked up in our direction.
It was an unbelievable sight to see - these eyes reflecting in the light of the torch and water dripping from their mouths as they looked up from drinking..... It was caracal!
But it doesn't end there.
In a flash, they both came running towards the fence at full charge. :shock:.
Well, I was off, left my SO in the dust. (Remember I had the torch!).
Big strapping male, hot on my heels, shouting at me to wait.
Who was more scared - him or me? :hmz:
Once back at the hut, in complete safety, it became hysterically funny...but he has never let me live it down - leaving him in total darkness with a caracal possibly scaling the fence to pounce on him. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:shock: Many years ago i was a rep. for a canning co. and one of my calls was to pick up the orders from skz-----anyway,-on my way to exit at croc i stopped to watch a herd of buffs, and have a coke/ smoke, there was i all relaxed, window down, phil c, [another in paradise] ,super song----------when in a second, up popped a hyena's head, not 2 feet away, looking at me :big_eyes: :big_eyes: TALK ABOUT A FRIGHT!!!! i still think about that moment, even now------ :thumbs_up: mike

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:44 am 

The scariest thing i saw in Mahlangeni Bush Camp.
a herd of Elephant came to the waterhole.
At one moment a huge Bull ran towards the fence.
Indeed it crushed with full speed in it.
I was only a few meters away, this attack was mine and I wasn't even prepared nor I recognize it! but after that my heart was pumping like hell.

The funniest thing was a night drive in Punda Maria where I spot almost everything eg a Leopards and an African Wild cat. and so on.
It was funny because I was a teenager I even spot more then our driver!
It was one of the best night drive that I have done.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Also at Nkuhlu.
This was about 30 years ago when I was 7, the little shop at Nkuhlu was way down at the bottom of the stairs (the building is still there),
I was walking up to the car with my packet of sweets when a baboon came at me from behind and grabbed the packet out of my hand and jumped up onto the roof of the car and scoffed the whole packet within a few seconds.
By the time I realised what had just happened, I was ready to give chase for my packet of sweets.
With my dad quickly pulling me back I realised that maybe that would have not been such a good idea. :evil:

A funny experience I had was quite a few years back at Satara's restaurant veranda one night, my cousin and I were sitting chatting to some girls we had made friends with when we decided to walk down to the fence (where the webcam now is).
Well ... the girls decided that the night was far too quiet for their liking and started screaming and running back up towards the restaurant complex.
My cousin and I, not hesitating for a second (call it survival instinct kicking in) sprinted as fast as humanly possible without even looking back to see what they were running from (the hair on the back of my neck even stood up and overtook me), experiencing a numb panic and rush of adrenalin feeling and I could just imagine how prey feels when being chased.
Needless to say, when we reached the restaurant we looked back to see them rolling on the ground laughing.
All I can say is that "embarrassment" was never even an option because my *ss is my *ss and I didn't want it chewed off.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 pm 

This was about 20 years ago - my mom and dad had a Golf GTi where we could put the back seats down totally to make a big nice viewing area for me.
I was sitting right in the back looking out the rear window, eating snacks and drinking juice.
Driving on the Sabie river road to Lower Sabie we had a nice sighting of the impalas and the resident baboons on their way back to their tree for their evening sleep;
back in the days they still quite regularly hitched a ride on the bonnet or roof of the cars and when I heard a little non threatening noise above me :roll:
I really truly did not expect to have a massive baboons face 2cm away from mine flat on the back window....
:big_eyes:

Needless to say the snacks and drink was all over my dads seats and I was safely on my moms lap in the front seat within a second crying my heart out.
Tey never knew what happened until an hour or so later when they got me to calm down and explain and they off course had a good laugh :lol:

Another time about 3 years ago my SO and I was staying at Lower Sabie in the lux River front Tents; we were fast asleep when a BIG BIG bang right next to us woke us up (ok well it felt like right next to my pillow) so peeping out of the mesh windows we saw our metal bin next to our stairs had fallen over and that was all we though of it so went to bed.......silly us :wall:
all good wasn't it.
The next evening we had a late`ish night enjoying the fire and surroundings and river on a clear night, not wanting the same noises to disturb us, we opted to earlier that day move the bin to a more stable area on the grass a bit further away.
So on my way to throw away the scraps of our dinner "in the bin that is now a bit further away",
I was just making my way down the steps of our tent turning the corner to see in the dim light of our tent and my flash light a hyena trotting my way :pray:
a scream and a few good old Afrikaans words gave him a fright and I don't know who kicked up the most dust.... ( I made the most sound for sure!)

So my SO handed with his Mag light and a stick :hmz: showed alot of bravery and got our trash thrown away and we had a good nights sleep once the tiredness and adrenalin wore off :redface:

KNP 1984 - 2007 (",)
KNP LS. BND. JUN 2008
KNP PK. SKZ. DEC 2008
KNP LS. OCT 2009
KNP LS. JAN 2010

Post subject: Worst experience in the Kruger??
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm 

It wasn't the lack of seeing animals - but having a 7month pregnant wife and 6month pregnant sister in law in the car.
On a bridge at the best leopard sighting ever, more than 50 cars all around you and they have to go to the loo NOW!! There might be a possibility that I am on the wall of shame :redface:

Post subject: Re: Worst experience in the Kruger??
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:clap: I'd bet alot of worst experiences are self-inflicted. :P

My worst experience was having my car alarm go off in the early morning in Satara, and not having a clue how to turn it off. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:57 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
On the Tropic of Capricorn loop this March with what seemed like dozens of large male ellies around every corner!! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
I love them, but at a sensible distance! :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 pm 

:shock: :shock:
That would be a whole other thread!

Must say about all of my bad experiences involves ellephants :naughty:
Just one that stands out from the rest: tooth ache, tummy bug & break down...... :wall:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 am 

Think my worst time must be when Jock & I both reacted negatively to the malaria medication we were taking! not nice,
after a week I had lost over 5 kilos, can think of better ways to diet. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My worst? When my friend contracted septacaemia and it was touch and go back to Jo'burg :cry: .
The Skukuza Doctor was great though :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 am 

Oh yes been there done that with the malaria meds.

Worst one. Unpacking in Skukuza for the final two nights of our stay, knowing that we should have been unpacking in Biyamiti. We couldn't get there because all the gravel roads had been closed due to the rain. I've never felt so gutted.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 am 

Getting caught in a traffic jam on one of the narrow dirt roads near Shingwedzi with a very irritated large bull ellie in musth coming towards the line of cars.
We were first in the queue and the vehicles behind would not move so couldn't reverse.
We managed a 25 point turn (Land Rover, not known for their tight turning circles) all the while watching the brute baring down on us.
We just made it and had a dent in the right rear panel where he klapped us with his trunk.
We sped back along the route getting all the cars to start reversing in a hurry.
Needless to say SO melted, my knees were knocking, so it was a jerky ride for a few k's

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have two :redface:

Was in Shimuweni Camp hide when a black mamba dropped from the roof, came straight towards me... So I climbed on top of the viewing deck :redface: Luckily he didnt attack, left in a hurry!

Second was when I was new to driving. Near Skukuza somewhere I drove into the middle of an ellie herd. Everything was cool until a baby sprinted past the car, screaming his little lungs out. When the biggies noticed and followed in a hurry I panicked and reversed into a bush :redface: :redface:

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am 

Tony, I would definitely put that down as the MOST scariest experience in Kruger! :big_eyes:
We had something similar happen a year ago altho the Ellie wasn't really aggressive thank goodness. :wink: