Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Driving from JHB International to Kruger - Directions
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:08 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

As some people have trouble getting from JHB International to Kruger, here are some directions. Printing this out and putting it in your handluggage may not be a bad idea.

Airport to Kruger in general

Coming out of the rental pick up area you will see a sign with three options. One says to the skystop one the R24 to JHB one the R21S to Boksburg.

Take the R21S to Boksburg. When you come to the N12 Split follow the signs to eMalahleni (Witbank) (to the left) when you come to eMalahleni you will join onto the N4E to Middelburg (This area is notorious for it's early morning fog and coal mine trucks). 1st Tollgate just before Middelburg. You now follow the N4E onto Belfast then Machadorp 2nd Tollgate. Now you have two options one to follow the N4E through Waterval Boven to Nelspruit (Not a nice route because of timbre trucks) or you follow the N4E via Schoemanskloof to Nelspruit (preferred route less traffic) this turn off is just after the tollgate. If you go via Schoemanskloof you will come to T-Junction turn left and this will join you up with the other road on to Nelspruit.

Kruger/Phabeni/Numbi gates.

When you come into Nelspruit the first major intersection will be the one you are looking for it will be marked R40 to White river you will be turning left towards White River (be aware the speed limits yo-yo along this road until White River).
In White River look for the signs to Hazyview (R40) you will be turning left once again. Just outside White River you will find a turning to Numbi gate (R569) follow the signs to Numbi gate. If going to Kruger or Phabeni gate carry on with R40 all the way to Hazyview, you will come to a T-Junction left towards Hazyview right will take you back to Numbi. When you come to Hazyview you will see the signs to Kruger gate (R569) Phabeni gate is also on this road, you will be turning right.
Further along this road you will see a sign to the right for Phabeni and carrying on straight will take you straight into Kruger Gate.

Malelane/Croc bridge gates.

Following the above route to Nelspruit you will carry on towards Nelspruit. There is now a bypass around Nelspruit, just follow the road towards Malelane/Komatipoort and you will come to another Tollgate. Just past Malelane you will see the turn off to the left for Malelane gate. Carrying on with N4E now to Komatipoort follow the signs to Komatipoort Croc Bridge gate once again to the left.

Missed the split in Johannesburg?

If you missed the R21/R24 split at the airport and have found yourself on the R24 to Johannesburg come off the Edenvale off ramp turn left to Bedfordview and just down the road you will see an on ramp for the N12E to Boksburg/eMalahleni (Witbank).

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Rugbycrew,

(1) The journey to Orpen is, (no map here, so I stand to be corrected) approximately 650 km....so to be save you should allow yourself 7 - 8 hours, as stops at petrol stations and the road from Whiteriver to Klaserie winds through traditional homelands, which will slack your average down quite a bit...

So I would avise to leave EARLY...

(2) The second question sort of depends....If you want to hire the navigator just for finding Orpen gate and in the park, I would say no.
If you are comfortable with a map, just do yourself a favour, buy a decent map of SA.
The road to Orpen is quite easy.
If you are on the N4...its 270 kms straight :wink:
At Nelspruit, just keep the road signs in sight, but check especially the road numbers...take the road to Whiteriver. From Whiteriver, its straight to Hazyview, and from Hazyview its straight to Klaserie.
At Klaserie, just check for the Orpen gate signs, turn right, and your last 40kms on a dead-quiet road! Really, no need for a Navigator, its very easy if you know how to use a map.

A tip, just stick to the speed limit, especially from Nelspruit and on, as there are a lot of traffic cops trying to share with you income :roll:

Post subject: Route from Nelspruit/ Sbie to Jhb Airport
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is in response to a query on the thread directions from JBH international
From, Komatipoort, Malelane, Nelspruit follow the N4 west past Machadadorp, Belfast, Middelburg as far as the town of eMalahleni (Witbank).
Just thru the town you need to keep in the 2 left hand lanes of the highway and follow the signs to the N12 west highway.
Note that this split of the two highways is not well signposted and even local S. Africans miss this split!
So watch for it once in the eMalahleni (Witbank) area.
Follow this highway to Benoni and into Boksburg area.
Take the R21north highway to Airport/ Pretoria .
The 2nd offramp on this highway is the Airport turn off.

If you miss the N12 at Witbank, stay on the N4 until you reach Pretoria.
Take the N1 highway south bound and then the R21 south to Kempton Park and the Airport.
It's a slightly longer route, but gets you there on Highways the whole way and time wise it's only about 30min extra.

From Sabie, take the Long Tom Pass (R37) to Lydenburg .
Follow the signs to the R540 to Dullstroom and Belfast.
Go thru Belfast and join the N12 (route is well signposted in the town) and follow the above directions from Belfast above..

From Hazyview you can either take the route via Sabie or go to White River and Nelspruit along the R 569 and then follow the above directions
Hope this helps

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You need to follow the N12 highway which joins the N4 at Witbank.
This route is well described earlier in this thread (the 1st post I think).
From Randburg you need to get onto the N1 and at the N3 split, take the N3 south.
At Gillooleys interchange, take the N12/R24 east split and move into the right hand lanes as soon as you can as the highway splits almost immediately into R24(to the airport) and the N12 to Boksburg, Benoni, Witbank. If you end up on the R24, don't panic.
When you get close the airport follow the signs to the R21 south and then onto the N12 east/ Witbank.
Its only slightly longer.

Time needed to get to KNP: Malelane gate will take about four and a half hours.
We like to stop at Middelburg Utra city or Millys (both are petrol stations with fast food joints)
Middelburg is closer to Jhb.
Choice of stop depends on the kids toilet needs.
We also like to stop at Erics farm stall which is in the lowveld (ie once you are down the passes) about 1/2hr-45 mins from Nelspruit.
They make great pancakes there.

Crocodile Bridge gate is about 40 mins further than Malelane gate)
The drive to Lower Sabie can be done in an Hour but will usually take longer as this is a great road for sightings.
If you go in at Malelane gate the drive is much longer to Lower Sabie (could be as long as 4 hours),
Another option is Kruger gate, also about four and half hours from JHB and about two and half hours drive to lower Sabie, once again remembering that this is another great sighting road.
All in all, my 1st choice gate with younger kids would be Croc Bridge.
Without kids,
I would probably go in at Kruger gate

Have a great trip :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:23 pm 

Thoughts on directions from Jo'burg to Punda Maria? And suggestions for a place to stop and stock up on food/camping supplies along the way?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Fishing Owl.
I would take the N1 north.
If you are leaving from the airport take the R21 north to Pretoria and then follow the signs to the N1 north.
You need to go past a number of smaller towns and once in Polokwane you could replenish stocks there.
I don't know the shops there, but it is a fair sized town and will have a Spar and almost certainly a Pick n Pay. Get back on the N1 as far as Makhado formerly Louis Trichardt .
Take the R524 to Thohoyandou . B
Go through the town and onto Punda Maria

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 am 

I'm a new member and have a question about driving to KNP.
I shall arrive in JNB airport on 11:55 am coming from WDH.
Until I finished customs and got the rental car, I expect it will be about 1:00 pm.
Do You think, I could drive to Pietersburg for the first stop or is that to far, because it's already dark?
I'm afraid, it could be danger driving in the dark as I heard, there may be people walking on the roads.

Next day I will drive to Kruger, first stop there shall be in Shingwedzi.
Does anyone know a good hotel near Pietersburg?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Heiko

Pietersburg will be ok as a stop and it is a double lane highway all the way there and I have never had a problem with pedestrians till Pietersburg.

Post subject: Re: From Johannesburg to KNP. Which route???
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are a lot of posts on this but assuming you are entering by Malelane or Croc Bridge Gates then as you leave the airport follow the signs for Boksburg (R21) then fork left for Witbank (N12) which meets up with the N4 at Witbank.
Just before Waterval Boven turn left onto the R539 Schoemanskloff loop.
It's a much nicer run.
I think it is signposted Nelspruit.
Just after you hit the N4 again you will find Eric's on the right for a well needed pitstop.

Post subject: Re: From Johannesburg to KNP. Which route???
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

N1 is the quicker route with highway all the way to Plolkwane, then the route down to tzaneen is very scenic. The route to Nelspruit is a long way round. The other possible way is N4 to Belfast, the Dullsrtoom, Lydenburg, Orichstad, Strydom tuinnel/ Abel Erasmus pass. Its alos scenic,but takes longer as from Belfast on it is mostly single lane traffic and not a freeway

Post subject: Re: Traveling to/from JBN and within Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum, and beware of addiction!

There is a bus from the airport itself to Nelspruit (google Citybug) where you can hire a car. Driving from there to Kruger is not a problem for a single female - I do it all the time! The shuttle mentioned is a small mini-bus and as far as I know the only direct one. Others would require you to get into Jhb or Pretoria first - more time and probably less safe.

Another alternative is to fly from Jhb to Nelspruit (or Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa depending on where in Kruger you stay).

You really need to have a vehicle in Kruger as there is no way of getting to the camps without one - unless you join an organised tour group. Doing activities from the camps is a good idea - but going out on your own is safe, and you will enjoy it. Google for carhire in SA - you will have lots of options!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Re: 1st night from JohBurg Airport - Berg en Dal or Croc Bridge?
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 pm 

Hi

We come from Uk too, and usually drive up to Croc Bridge area on first day.

I agree with what every one has said,BUT, this all depends on what time your plane arrives!! If you get in at 7.30 to 8.30 ish then all will be OK. If you are arriving any later then you will not make it up there comfortably before the gates close, and I agree that the first night at Malelane might be a good idea or even Nelspruit area. You can arrange ahead for late entrance at CB & Malelane as it right on the approach road, but I am not sure about BnD. Forumites here will know.

We have arrived twice on the Emirates flights which are usually late, and get in at about 11am. By the time we have picked up the hire car, stop a couple of times for petrol etc, it is 7pm before we get to near Croc Bridge. Also the sun starts going down at 5pm and it is dark at 6 prompt. Driving in the dark is not fun over long distances if you got off a plane from UK that morning, especially if its atwo sector journey. Other forumites may disagree, but if you are on a late arriving plane I promise this is accurate! We once drove to Kruger Gate Hotel off a late plane.............never again! It really does take about 6 hours.

I would rather get to Nelspruit or Hazy view, stay over night in a hotel, have a nice meal etc, and a good sleep, and be nice and fresh at the park gates the following morning than wake up exhausted in the park. ( Dont forget the two hour time difference does make a difference in terms of getting up in the morning even if it doesnt give you jet lag! South Africas 5am is UK's 3am) Then you can drive peacefully and game spot all the way to your camp, check in at 12, have a nice rest, and be fresh for an afternoon drive.

Having said that ,the journey to CB I find easy, its basically N4, left to komatipoort, all the way through komatipoort and left again to CB. Nothing tricky at all. But still 5.5 to 6 hours inc stops. They have a little shop which is quite good and it is a friendly kind of place. We stay at Ngwenya and not CB , but I love the atmosphere there and we have had a good night game drive there.

For the first time ever we are flying up this year, I will miss the drive and the scenery, but not feeling shattered when we get there.

Have a good time

GA.

Just noticed , you get in at 7am. so you will be fine. But this info might be helpful to others.
l

Post subject: Re: Best Route from Jhb
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

yoda wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your input.

It seems the N12 route is the best way to go. So I will try it this time.

Where the N12 joins the N4, is it well sign posted which offramp/direction one should take?

Thanks
Yoda

There is no choice Yoda. The 2 highways simply merge . Very simple

@ Bert. Coming from JHB side it's easier to go straight onto the N12 just after Gilloleys interchange rather than go to the airport and then take the R21

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Phallaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm 

Can you give me any advice and tips for the way from JHB airport to Phalaborwa by car? We are planning to rent a car in the airport and arrive in the afternoon the gate. Which is the fastest and easiest way???

Thanks a lot

Sweni 21-24/09/2011
Skukuza 24/09/2011

Post subject: Re: From JHB to Phallaborwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

From OR Tambo, Take the R21 north to Pretoria Where it joins the N1 at Pretoria, follow the signs to the N1 North,/ Polokwane. Keep on the N1 till you get to Polokwane, then follow the signs to Magoebaskloof/Tzaneen and Phalaborwa. Sorry I don't know thenumber of this road, but I'm sure someone will help (My map is packed ready for my trip)