Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Salva in KTP - April 2008
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hiya all,

a short preview.

KTP was intresting as it allways is. It proved to be pretty quite this time as long grasses made gaming extremely difficult. However tons of patience were rewarded with the following sightings

- 2 cape cobras raiding a weaver's nest
- about 400 springboks giving an unforgettable running and jumping show (probably the highlight of the trip)
- 1 leopard in a tree slam bamg next to the road
- a rather short sighting of a cheetah wit 4 furry cubs
- 22 bat eared foxes in the Aoab valley ( they sort of made up for the complete abscence of big cats over there)
- 11 lions near Melkvlei

loads more in a few weeks time after we returned home.

Oh yes...the booking problem was partly solved...we lost our first night in KK but got at least a bungalow in TR to replace it.

cheers

S

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Let’s start this trip report with a bit of complaining OK?

Three days before or departure we still hadn’t received a confirmation of our bookings in KTP (third time in a row so I guess this is standard procedure…I now wander if you even need to have a confirmation when arriving at receptions…next time I’ll show up without having paid: I’ll bet it will also be OK). After a few PM’s to a lovely MOD I received the confirmation within the hour. Hip hip hooray until I had a closer look…freely translated the confirmation letter said “thank you for paying the full amount for 7 days, however we have decided to give you only accommodation for 6 nights…what you do the first night is none of our business”.

Of course I sent a reply to Pretoria and soon they forwarded me the message they sent to the manager in Twee Rivieren that said “your people cancelled a night…please contact the client”. Now somebody should go and instruct people in Twee Rivieren the difference between staff and client. THEY are the staff and the clients are the other ones…not the other way around. You people guessed right…we ourselves had to contact TR reception in order to sort things out. I am going to spare you the details but from friday afternoon till saturday afternoon we made 6 phone calls to SA (total cost probably exceeding the cost of our first night)…5 to TR and 1 to SANP headoffice. “mistake in Pretoria” “mistake in TR” Manager out of office” “call back in an hour” “call back tomorrow” “call back sunday” “call back monday” “go to hell” “computer is slow” “can’t help you” “I don’t know” “WE DON’T CARE”. Even trying to get an alternative booking for TR (there was availability according to the website) for the first night seemed to be mission impossible. We felt as we were being confronted with the South African version of Carol Beer from Little Britain…”computer says noooooooooooo” :lol:

I realise there are worse things in the world (floodings in Myanmar to name but 1 thing) and it far from ruined our trip but still…you would expect a bit more client friendliness.

So we left from Brussels on saturday evening not knowing where we were going to spend the night of 14/04 and hoping we would be able to sort things out on arrival at TR.

We flew Ethiopian and had to take a connecting flight in Addis. The boarding passes for that flight we had to get in Bole airport. The handwritten boarding passes we received over there revealed something weird. We were both sitting on seat 5B and the B was followed by a “Y”…strange. At the gate the mystery was resolved. The “5” was in fact an “S” and we were on standby. It was time to make some Ethiopian people familiar with some Flemish expressions…”godvermiljaardedju” being one of them. That didn’t fail to impress and 10 minutes later we found ourselves in business class sipping Veuve Cliquot and emptying the wonderful Chablis white wine with the two of us (the other business travellers were not amused by that last fact but we sort of got familiar with the TR attitude so we didn’t give a damn about how they felt :wink: ).

Arrived in Joburg and tried to meet some fellow forumites…at first we didn’t find the place and later having found the place we didn’t find the people…one of those days. :cry:

14/04 we arrived in Upington, stocked up and had a very easy drive to TR. We were greeted extremely warm at the reception…

”can you come back tomorrow?”

"Come again please!!!" :evil:

“Ok would you mind to spend this night in TR?”

"No of course not"

“we have a nice camping spot for you”

"We have no camping materials"

“OK than we will give you a bungalow”

"great"

“you can pay together with your wildcard”

"But we already paid for this night, actually more than the cost of a bungalow in TR."

After a bit of arguing we didn’t have to pay. We were lucky that 4 bungalows were available that night. Untill today I still wander what they would have done if TR would have been fully booked that night. :?

Next instalment…the REAL joys of KTP! No more complaining…that’s a promise.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

After a bit of arguing at TR reception (mind you, all in a friendly atmosphere) we went to our bungalow, basically very happy that we could stay in the park and didn’t have to leave for that night. I will say even more…we were actually pleasantly surprised by our unit. Apparently
The TR bungalows underwent a refurbishment since the last time we were there…nice. And of course the usual “welcome sayers” also showed themselves.

Finally it was time to go on the first game drive. First arranging the car…cooler box over here, cameras over there, binocs in that corner, birdbook in the other one and the most important thing…get used to the position of the cup holders.

We didn’t have the choice today because the Nossob road was closed (a shame really because the Leeudril and Rooiputs waterholes are among my faves) so the plan was to drive up to Auchterlonie and come back.

I red some reports in where there were quite a lot of complaints about the new road over the dunes from Samenvloeiing to the Auob valley but personally I love this stretch (I am actually fond of those dune roads) as it almost always delivers Steenbok and BB Korhaan. This was also the case on this occasion. The korhaan was too fast for a pic but the steenbok wasn’t.

Than we arrived in the Auob valley and soon we saw one of the sights we love so much in this park. Buck at the rims of the valleys…here it were springbok not too far from Munro. It would turn out a few days later that this was only a part of a huge herd (400+) and that this herd would give us one of our most memorable memories of game parks ever. Wait and see.

Next to this we saw very little: some oryx, some ostrich, 2 or 3 lone wildebeest, a few PC Goshawks and 1 kori bustard.

We decided to drive up to the viewpoint a bit before Houmoed (at least that’s where I think it is) and when on top we saw 3 bat eared foxes. They were pretty skittish and ran off right after I stopped the car. Here is one.

We were happy with the sighting nevertheless and enjoyed the view from the viewpoint before driving back to TR.

That evening, because of the long journey we just made, we didn’t feel like cooking or braaiing any more so we went to the resto. Food was good and so was our night rest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thx Dotty and Michele!

15/04: day 2

Notwithstanding the fact that we were pleasantly surprised by the TR bungalow we were happy to leave because today we were finally going to see Kielie Krankie. We wanted to arrive there as soon as possible in order to soak up the so much praised views from our unit so we left at gate opening time. This way we could travel at a very slow pace. Nothing would escape our eyes!

The little dune stretch before reaching the Auob gave us the “usual dune suspects”: steenbok, ostrich, gemsbok, korhaan and…a wonderful black breasted snake eagle.

It would soon become clear to us that, along with the pale chanting goshawk, this would be the most viewed raptor of this trip. I think we must have seen over 50 of these guys.

And than we drove into the Auob valley, once again with a sense of great expectation.

We saw numerous kori bustards, secretary birds, oryx, wildebeest, springbok,…no real special sightings but how great it was t drive in this narrow valley once more with crisp blue skies above us.

A bit before Auchterlonie we were treated to a sighting of these two lovely meerkat. We hung around for quite some time but only saw them along with some squirrels.

Than a quick lunch at Auchterlonie picnic spot, enjoying the views over the valley from there…

…and than finally on to lovely Kielie Krankie. A shame we didn’t get our first night here but hey, we finally saw the camp and the views really did live up to their reputation. Just wonderful.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arriving in KK is wonderful. Driving over a dune rim and than seeing the camp perched on another dune rim, a familiar image to many of you, is absolutely great.

After being greeted by Marius, the ranger on duty there, it was time to have a bit of a lie down and enjoy the views from our bed…

…and after that say hi to a local.

At around 4PM we drove off to Kamqua. By now we got familiar with the Auob valley. The valley looked lush after all the rain it received but the grasses weren’t as high (far from it even) as on the Nossob side which made gameviewing maybe less evident than in other seasons but a piece of cake compared to gameviewing in the Nossob valley in the days to come. Having said that, this side of the park gave us no big cats but luckily there were other delights…more later.

At Kamqua waterhole, a bit past the upper dune road we drove up the rim. Wonderful isn’t it?

This drive was pretty slow but of course the usual stuff was present and to be honest whenever I see Gemsbok I feel fine. It is one of my favourite if not my most favourite antelope. Such gracious animals.

Driving back we spotted an African Wild Cat just before Montrose (but too far for a decent pic) and just after Montrose 4 Bat Eared Foxes on an insect hunt. Also not very close but closer than the AWC. A very nice sighting. Here are two of them

Time to go back to KK and admire once more its views…

…and share the bathroom with some other residents.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arks, anne-marie, anne catherine, Elsa, Jazil, Michele and Pumbaa...thx for your nice words, especially on the landscape pics. The strange thing is...I almost never use a wide angle for these: I rather zoom in to over 100 mm (sometimes even 200mm which becomes 300mm with the D70s) in order to place the horizon high in the image...3/4 or higher. IMO it works better to give people an idea of the wide views one enjoys in KTP.

@Elsa: green? You would think so but compared to the Nossob side it still looked arid.

@ Jazil: OK I'll come to the smallest country of Africa. On the 6th or 7th of july maybe. OK with you? :twisted:

@Pumbaa: you will love Kielie Krankie but than again...who wouldn't? Allow me to wet your appetite a bit more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

16/04: day 3

It was hard to pull ourselves away from Kielie Krankie and to say “au revoir” to Marius but the Nossob valley and the dune road (which we always enjoy thouroughly) were waiting.

The dune road from Kielie Krankie to Kij Kij didn’t disappoint: PCG’s, BBJ’s, korhaans, oryx, steenbokkies, mongooses,…and of course the landscapes. I know you can’t really argue about these things but frankly it is beyond us that some people find these dune roads boring.

A tree,…

…, a disturbed goshawk,…

…, a lone ranger,…

…, and another one walking exactly there where you want him to in order to take a nice pic,…

…before we arrived at Kij Kij.

It was with great anticipation that we drove down into the valley. We had enjoyed the Auob immensely although till now we had not been spoilt with specials…maybe this valley would spice up things a bit? Wait and see…

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Day 3 continued

On our way from Kij Kij to Melkvlei where we would have breakfast we saw our first hartebeest of this trip. Three to be precise and one of them was an adorable calf.

While having brekkies at Melkvlei we were chatting with a nice couple from Richards Bay. It appeared they were also having a great time BUT were also missing the big cats. I remember saying that the best way to find them was not to worry about it and enjoy the rest of the animals and than they would come to us. The couple continued their way…”today will be the day” was what the guy said to us through his open window as he drove past our table. About 15 minutes later, just as I was finishing my sandwich with chocolate paste, I saw their Nissan coming back to us with flashing headlights…”hurry, behind the corner, 300 metres from here, lions, eleven of them, it looks like they are calm but they could just as well disappear over the rim”. This perhaps is one of the things I like best about SA game parks: the willingness to share sights and the friendliness of so many people you meet.

About 30 seconds later all was packed and indeed, right behind the corner…

They were indeed eleven. Nine in the previous image and two about 20 metres further. One of those two, a young male, was posing like a model.

Just a shame that the little grass was just in front of him and that he was in the shade (why can’t these bloody lions do what we ask them to)

Than he growled a bit at us (but all in a pretty relaxing mood).

Here is three of them watching my SO performing her best acrobate tricks in the tree above them.

We sat with them for quite a while, extremely happy as we were with this sighting. This is what makes gameviewing so addictive imho…just when things are a bit slow suddenly it’s there and the glorious feeling of being in the best place of the world at exactly the right time takes possession of your whole body.

(Speaking of right time, later that day we spoke to a dutch bloke who was at that place about half an hour after we left but saw nothing…tsjah but than again he saw cheetah that very same morning when driving out of TR…)

After SO came out of the tree it was time for us to leave wandering what other magical moments this day would give us.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

(will try to do my best, Michele...I won't be able to finish it but here is at least one more chapter for you...hope you enjoy :wink: )

After leaving the lions at Melkvlei we took it very easy and had a slow drive to Dikbaardskolk, enjoying the greener than normal Nossob.

At one of the waterholes (can’t remember which one) we had a large group of oryx. There was a lot of action and running around going on and two of them were having an intense fight.

One of the striking things, well actually thé striking thing of the drive between Kij Kij and Dikbaardskolk was the sheer number of Gemsbok. We saw thousands upon thousands…they were just everywhere. Quite wonderful!

Another nice sighting was a family of ostrich with some sub-adults. Till now we saw little ones and grown-ups but ostrich of this size was a first-timer to us.

When having lunch at Dikbaardskolk some folks warned us that gaming in the Nossob area was going to be very difficult and that there was one thing we would see in abundance…high grass. Unfortunately this proved to be true. We already noticed the highth of the grass in the Nossob valley but it only got worse from here to Nossob. Between the waterholes there was close to nothing to see and we were in a Nissan X-trail let alone people in a normal sedan. This drive was preparing us of what gamedriving in the Nossob area was going to be in the next couple of days…driving from waterhole to waterhole and sit there with a couple of cars to wait for whatever to show up.

Arriving at Nossob felt like coming home. Don’t know what it is about this camp but I (as well as my SO) absolutely love it. Staff at reception was super friendly and the question to provide us with freshly baked bread was welcomed with broad smiles (as if they wanted to say: we make the best bread in SA and you are lucky someone let you in on the secret). A first look in our hut learned 2 things.

1. the fridge was broken…not great news when you have food for 5 more days to come. I went to reception (wasn’t mad or anything: this is Nossob in the middle of the bush, not the Sheraton in Singapore). They apologised…apparently the people who were there before us hadn’t noticed it or at least hadn’t mentioned it. However they saw that people from 2 units further had cancelled for the night so they gave me the key for that unit as well and allowed me to store my food there until things were taken care of. When we came back from or evening drive, someone was waiting for us with bread and the message that our fridge was indeed broken but they weren’t able to fix it this evening, they would do it first thing in the morning. Indeed, next morning as we left the maintenance guys arrived. When we came back the fridge worked again but very weak. Back to reception. They were a bit surprised but promised they would have another look at it. Two hours later (around noon) we were provided with another fridge, an older one but it worked. Only than we were asked to take our food out of the other fridge. It seemed that they had already emptied another fridge somewhere in the camp in case they hadn’t found a solution before the people of the other unit arrived. All this happened with nothing else than smiles and friendly behaviour.
So even though we were in a place where it is far from evident to fix these kind of problems the staff did just about everything they could to help and finally they did, always being extremely friendly and flexible.

2. a bit less important but bad new for my sore neck…no extra pillow. Normally seen I just put a fleece or whatever under it, but here someone from the staff just gave me one of hers. “Can’t find another one for the moment but you can have my extra one…just make sure you give it back in two days when you leave.”

This lady was the same one that coordinated the “fridge works” (at least that is how we felt it). Her name is JULIANA DE VRIES and she is a real gem and asset for SANP if you ask us. I will also post this in the topic created for this and hope the message gets through all the way to Nossob.

OK back to the essence…what did we see on our evening drive. Well, things were extremely quiet. We drove the Marie se Draai loop and at Marie se Gat all cars were sitting and waiting…for nothing to come. Finally a wildebeest in great evening light appeared on the scene.

And than…a magical moment. No, not cats, not hyenas, not a rare species but … secretary birds. We already had seen masses of them the last couple of days but now two of them decided to fly up a tree. The first one landed in a tree a few metres away from us…here he (or she?) is.

The other one landed in the tree under which we were parked. He (or she) looked right into our eyes through our open roof and lying on my back, not an easy position, I managed to take these pics.

Light was perfect and look at those eyes…

When these guys are so close and look right into your eyes you can’t help but being in full admiration for them. A wonderful moment.

A great chicken curry with a fresh chenin blanc concluded this special day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Arks, Jazzie, Dotty, Ingrid60, Wanderw and anne-marie..thx a lot for the nice words. Really appreciate it.

17/04: day 4

Today was going to be an easy day with some drives from Nossob north and south, a dip in the pool, a braai, some wine,…

It started in a grand way: that is to say…like most days in Nossob. Having a coffee on a Nossob stoep with the sun saying goodmorning to the Kalahari right in front of you is…well…there are no words for it.

We drove north with great expectations. Kwang, Bedinkt, I had red so much about it in all the reports in this place. However today proved to be one of those days. Bedinkt was broken although we saw a lot of lion tracks there and Kwang was really calm. Not that we didn’t enjoy Kwang, in fact we did. It is one of the nicest places in the park (together with Polentswa) to sit and watch the game come and go. We had Oryx there (1 of them with a weird right horn), some wildebeest, a lone springbok and a curious jackal with a wet head!

After having enjoyed a couple of coffees and some lovely Nossob bread with jam and chocolate paste (are we Belgian or what?) we drove back to camp and saw this lovely BB snake eagle.

After a dip in the pool we intended to do the Marie se draai loop very slowly. The road was euh TERRIBLE! This way driving was so noisy in the car that enjoying the sounds of the bush was impossible. On top of that, apart from two bateleur eagles, the place was as dead as a dodo. So we decided to give Kwang another go. The gemsbok were still there but apart from that nothing special.

Some butterflies in a puddle of mud in the road concluded this slow day.

When filling up after closing time I went to take a look at the sighting board for that day…NOTHING! Not 1 pin! Some people were complaining a bit and the staff was asking just about every one if they had seen something special but no. We met the couple from Richards Bay again, you know, the ones that showed us the lions. They had seen nothing either. Ach well, tomorrow would be the day.

Forgot to unpack the meat to defrost so no braai. Chicken curry leftovers it was. Just as lovely, especially since it was I who prepared it. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi people, thanks for reading and commenting. I really would like to post a bit sooner than I am doing right now but unfortunately things are a bit hectic for the moment. Both my SO and my dad are in the hospital right now...so it's a pretty hard and emotional time for me now. But let me tell you, writing this report is a great way to take my mind away from this all and to bring me back to where I would love to be so much for the moment: the Kalahari.

Pumbaa, anne-marie, Dreamer, SHAKYJAKES, GavinW, wanderw, Mashona, anne catherine, ingrid60 and annalie: thx so much for the nice words!

anne-marie, no it is not the same one (Mashona's pic is extremely great, don't you think?)

18/04: day 5

Today was the day we were going to see Grootkolk for the first time ever so we were pretty excited. But first we said goodbye from lovely Nossob by having a coffee on our stoep watching the sunrise and of course by giving Juliana her pillow back.

The drive to Grootkolk started very calm but we got pretty used to this by now. Cubitje Quap: nothing, Kwang: nothing, a bit before Bedinkt two bateleurs and at Bedinkt a lovely tawny.

We had driven very slowly untill Bedinkt but since things were again very slow I decided to speed up a bit. We were longing for Grootkolk. SO was a bit bored and was putting her seat down a bit to have a rest. And than, a few km’s before Langklaas it happened!

STOP! REVERSE!

SO shouted so loud and decisively that this time I knew it wasn’t some grass or a branch or another kori bustard or…no this time by the way she shouted I knew she spotted a special. “What is it?”
“Leopard! Next to the road”
Indeed there she was. A Kgalagadi princess!

SO had spotted her through the open roof while lying down and just before she was going to close here eyes for a few minutes. She was in a tree slambang next to the road. She looked at us like only a cat can.

She looked around a lot and we knew she was not going to stay on that branch.

We were right. She moved to a lower branch.

On that branch she was moving all the time, sometimes turning her back to us, sometimes peering right into the lens.

More pics to follow soon (tomorrow) but my connection is extremely slow this evening. Sorry people!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mashona, anne-marie, Peter, MM, arks and Dotty..thx a lot (also for wishing a speedy recovery for my beloved ones :wink: )

Allthough the leopard sighting was outstanding this was almost midday so actually the light was harsh. Also the fact that the leopard moved all the time made things pretty hard to take decent pics. Adjusting exposure, iso, WB all the time...here are some more results.

Needless to say we sat quite a while with her. The first half an hour we were alone and than we got company from 2 other cars, one of them being the friendly people from KZN that showed us the lions. We told them this was our way of returning the favour :lol: .

Finally she moved up to a place where only other leopards would be able to spot her. It was in fact closer to her kill that we only noticed now. It was a BB jackal.

The time had come to go. Grootkolk was waiting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

madach wrote:
Adjusting white balance......why? I assume you shoot in RAW mode, and if that's the case then WB is a don't care as you can set the WB in DPP, Lightroom, Aperture of whatever RAW conversion software that you use.

No, I know it sounds strange but I still shoot JPEG fine. Should have been the last time though. I finally have software to process RAW files (came for free with the D300)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

thx wanderw and p@m!

day 5 continued.

After the excitement it was time to relax a bit while having lunch at Polentswa waterhole. What a lovely waterhole this is. No special sightings but it was just nice to sit there for a while.

At Lijersdraai we found leopard spoor but the cat itself decided not to show itself. A bit after (or before, don't remember) we saw a small road joining the main road. There was no "no entry" sign so we assumed it was a small detour. However after about 1 km and a look on the map we realised we were on the one way road to kaa entrance gate in Botswana so we turned around. For the ones intrested, this is what the trail looks like.

The drive to grootkolk delivered no further special sightings. Arriving at grootkolk was a bit euh special for SO. This was in fact the only camp she was a bit wary about especially when I told her about the frequent visits of the lions and the fact that the outdoor stoep did not really offer any physical protection from the wildlife. When we arrived she had finally relaxed about it and that was the moment when the ranger decided to tell us that we should close the doors at any time because the last couple of days they had a BIG problem with cobras. Bye bye SO's relaxed condition... :lol:

When preparing tonight's diner I got company from some sociable weavers.

As for the rest the waterhole was dead. Besides if there would have been anything special we would never have been able to see it because of the high grass.

The afternoon drive was extremely calm. Nothing to mention. The evening on the other hand was far from calm. Seemed that the other 3 units were taken by 1 group. So the communal area was monopolised and the air was filled with voices and laughter. After our chicken with tomato and oragano (lovely btw) we decided to join the group rather than to stay in front of our unit and get worked up bout the noise. The people turned out to be extremely friendly and we had an enjoyable evening alltogether with too much wine and elephant milk. Not exactly what I had in mind when booking a night in Grootkolk but hey...that's life.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mashona, you are right but luckily we made the best out of a not so good situation.

Gwen, yip! Finally we know where it comes from...tastes even better now.

Jo and anne-catherine: thanks!

19/04: day 6

Time to leave Grootkolk. A gem...no other words would do it justice and we will definitely be back. However, gamewise Grootkolk and surroundings were absolutely dead the days we were there. A last look at the waterhole...nothing!

Kanaguass: nothing! Lijersdraai: nothing! The long stretches between the waterholes: absolutely nothing (well: apart from some gemsbok). Finally a few km before Polentswa we saw hartebeest preparing themselves for crossing the road and giving me a good photo opportunity...flying hartebeest.

And than just as we were about to turn off to polentswa waterhole to enjoy a well deserved breakfast...a branch with ears...cheetah? reverse...cheetah!!!! Cheetahs are my SO faves so this spot delivered me quite a few kisses and hugs.

She seemed pretty relaxed but kept looking around all the time.

Than she stood up...

...and only than we saw what the tiny spots just behind her really were!

Sorry for the quality of this pic, it is of course seriously cropped but I thought you people absolutely had to see these 4 little cuties! Lovely! A shame that the grasses were so high but who's complaining? The sighting was relatively short: she guided her cubs over the rim away from the two cars. Indeed, by that time we got company from a SA couple who thanked us for spotting the cheetah and told us a male lion was waiting for us at Langklaas. :shock: This seemed to be our day and the Langklaas-Polentswa area definitely seemed to be our place (to hell with Nossob and Grootkolk...next time I'm sleeping in the car at Kousant!).

So off we went. We would not have found the lion if it wasn't for the 5 jackals who were running excitedly around at a certain place just before Langklaas. 5 jackals? A kill nearby? Indeed...under a tree not even 10 metres from the road was a wildebeest kill and also under that tree, invisble at first sight: the lion. Actually there were two of them as we saw when we looked very good (those damned grasses, you know). We were after a while rewarded with one of the kings lifting his head to overlook his kingdom.

And once more we were, at first, the only ones there. After a while the Grootkolk bunch arrived...first cat sighting of the trip for them. They were actually 4 saffies and 2 germans. The saffies told us that they took the germans with them because they promised to show them cats but since "the germans drank like fish" they hadn't been able to spot any cat yet. When I told them that we actually had seen cheetah this morning (and they already knew we had the leopard the day before) they asked us if they could swop the germans for some belgians :lol: I warned that belgians also drink like fish but that this doesn't keep us from spotting the cats :lol: .

On to Nossob now to have a brunch (understandably we skipped breakfast) but brunch had to wait a bit because between Kwang and Cubitje Quap...

Those high grasses again... :roll: Since this is pretty close to Nossob it was a sighting we had to share with 4 or 5 other cars.

Extremely hungry we arrived at Nossob to have lunch (it had become to late to call it brunch)

It seems that they still haven't fixed their jackal problem at Nossob.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next