Skip to Content

Game in north of Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Punda is home to scarce species more than obvious numbers. The Mahonie loop is the best place in the Park to find Sharpe's Grysbok. Pafuri is the best to see Nyala and also plays host to the wildest and most aggressive crocs, ele's and hippo's.

Then there is the added bonus of finding Kruger's most northern based rhinos.

Big herds of buff as explained before can be found north. And lion and wild dog are often seen.

Don't go north expecting to find Southern Kruger's attractions. Go north to experience the real Kruger as only the north can provide.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

davegrohl

Unread postby davegrohl » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Agreed.

p.s
Pel's is my elusive spot that keeps my searching all the giant fig trees along the Shingwezi and up at Pafuri. I hope my day will come soon...

Saw a Narina Trogon at Pafuri a few years ago (1 of only 2 that ive ever seen - second one was at the old ponds inside Satara!!)

amanzi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby amanzi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:09 am

On a recent day trip to Punda, we decided to take chance on the Mahonie loop. This was around noon, so we didn't expect to see much....

I promise that the following is truth, and not just a piece of dry toast, buttered up for your enjoyment :lol: :

In a stretch of 2km we saw:(in order of appearance)

Giraffe
Elephant
Sharps Grysbok (3 of them )
Buffalo
Leopard with cub (so close I could reach out and touch)
Lioness crossing the road.

I had never before experienced something like that before, I mean honestly I read about everybody going on about the Mahonie Loop, but hell, 4 of the big 5 in less that 2km??? :shock:

And I promise this is the truth!
Kremetart country is great!

Jen

Unread postby Jen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Alawys a good chance to see large herds of Buffalo.
Rare antelope sightings - Roan & Tsessebe.
Can't beat Shingwedzi North - TRUE KNP for sure!!!!
Napi Tail - Feb 2015

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:26 pm

Believe there are also eland north of Punda. We didn't see them in Sep, but our neighbours at the camp did.

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby johanrebel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:26 pm

There is a sizeable Eland population between the Luvuvhu and Limpopo, as well as sprinkling of Sable and the odd Roan which visits from Zimbabwe.

Johan

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 am

It is very possible to see 4 out of 5 on the Mahonie Loop. Great for early morning & late afternoon. Have seen all but Rhino up north but as above stated, North is different & a more rounded experience in many ways esp. birdlife.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Game in extreme north

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Something which to me more than compensates for the relative scarcity of game is the peace & quiet , few OSV 's and less tourists .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

cpetzer

Far north

Unread postby cpetzer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 pm

Just came back from a 12 day stint in Kruger.
Stayed 3 nights at Punda and saw a lot.
Excellent birding (openbill, broad billed roller, crowned hornbill, brown headed parrots and grey headed parrots etc) animals also good (elephant,buff, grysbok etc).
My best sighting was that of two adult lionesses with six cubs (on the tar road towards Punda gate about 5 km away from Punda itself).
Can anyone give me some info on grey headed parrots, have anyone ever seen them near Punda.
Don't they breed (at least roost) in baobab trees?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes, Grey-Headed Parrots can be quite a common sighting around Punda. They do show a preference in Baobabs, yes.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

nickybuys

Weekend in Punda Maria

Unread postby nickybuys » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Just back from weekend in Punda Maria.
Found the Parrots on the Punda gate road just passed turnoff to camp early one morning.
Also Black coucal at Babalala picnic site and Eurasian Hobby close to Klopperfontein.
Found a leopard with small cub in road 100m from Pafuri picnic site.
Also leopard and mating lions in road to Babalala.Plenty of Buf and elephant around Punda

Bush Happy

Unread postby Bush Happy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:04 am

In October we were fortunate enough to see a herd of over 30 Roan running across the road to towards the Babalala picnic spot. Great sighting!

The north can be a bit quiet game-wise, but at least when you do see something you don't have twenty cars surrounding you. That's why the north, to me, is pretty special.

The other reason is that the cost of staying at Shingwedzi(for a family of four) is half the cost of the camps in the south.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:21 am

Karl Jaacks wrote:Hi there

I think the grey headed parrot is also known as the cape parrot, if so there are very few left in the Kruger, i think i ahve heard numbers like 800 left.

Well done , i would love to see one for myself.

Karl

Karl, they used to be one species, but was split up a few years ago. The nearest colony from Kruger of cape parrot can be found in Magoebaskloof as far as I know. :wink:

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:16 am

Up North we have not seen any predators, but we did hear lion roaring on our Thulamela walk. North is undoubtedly the best place for birding, the morning chorus is increadible.
Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

sammuri

Unread postby sammuri » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm

hi

The Northern Part of the park is definitely the best part for me.
Seen many excellent sighting arround Shingwedzi. Elephants galore. Kanniedood dam in the early morning just does something for a persons soul

Return to “Kruger National Park”