Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Do you plan what routes to drive, or do you go by feeling?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I almost never plan a route in Kruger beforehand except for the entrance into the Park.

I like deciding on the Spur of the moment which road to take, working off some 6th sense I guess one can say.

I see a lot of people made mention of planning which routes to drive thru the Park. What is your opinion about this?

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree that it is nice to have that sense of exploring as it makes it so much more interesting.. but i really enjoy to sit weeks before i go and look at the map and visualize my road trip hehe.. :wink: But then i start to get nervous that i will choose the wrong roads!!! So i end up just following my gut feeling, normally pays of!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

I plan the general area I want to drive, and for the rest spur of the moment. However the wife does plan the route down to the last meter.... Not a problem, except she's the driver... :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Planned routes
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 am 

We normally discuss the day's sightings over the evening braai and then "plan" the next day's route. However, we invariably hear lions roaring in the opposite direction of our planned route or hear of other sightings when waiting for the gates to open in the morning. Then the whole planned route is out the window and we follow our noses! Needless to say, we are one of the crazy bunch who spend the whole day in the car, right up to the last minute ever hopeful of that last magical sighting!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:41 am 

We go by a combination of planning and intuition - and memories of what have been good routes in the past! We are already discussing some roads we may travel for out week in KNP in May.
We get that moment's indecision when you leave the camp gates as they open, intent on turning left, only to see that everyone else turns right, and your insecurities rise to the surface and you think 'what do they all know that we don't - a leopard kill last night?'.
The bottom line is - all drives are special!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree the exitement of planning your route weeks or even months in advance is part of the Kruger experience. The only problem is that the only route that usually remains in place, is where I enter the Park :redface:

Post subject: Do you plan your drive route
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I usually plan to go where there are less cars , where I can stop and listen regularly without being the cause of traffic jams .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 am 

We always plan the whole trip ahead. Even what we are going to eat etc.

This is done to ensure we stay in budget with food, fuel etc.

We always stick to these plans, only maybe changing a monday for a tuesday or so, and sometimes, depending on the weather etc, we might add an extra road / loop keeping in mind our overall km budget for the tour

But yes we do have our fav roads, so these always get planned in somewhere. I think we will try and drive the S114 even if we stay in Pundu. :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 am 

I spend a few nights chatting to my son to get his input. In this way he feels he is included in the planning. Then he loses interest and I go ahead and plan the trip. SO just shrugs and says, "I'll go with the flow", then goes and does her egyptian PT thing.

I usually try and get in places / camps and roads that I have not visited before as well as a few favoured roads and camps.

Despite all the research and planning, the "planned route" is not cast in stone. It is our guideline and sometimes reality is often different to the plan, especailly when there have been good sightings and we need to get there.

I still insist on travelling different routes and roads though, as part of the whole experience, even if it means going back to a point from a sighting that we were told about, and going in the original intended direction, after the sighting detour.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I plan everything beforehand, and once there everything changes to instinct and I drive many kilo's more than planned:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:52 pm 

We also generally have a sort of round table discussion the evening before and will decide on an area that we would like to drive in but the actual roads themselves can be changed as the mood or particular situation arises. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:00 pm 

I go to the park with a general idea of what I want to see in the areas I'm staying, using the forum and books as a guide to the "good" places.

SO likes to plan a bit more.

A lot of the times where we go depends on where we can get food and/or coffee and a leg stretch.

But I'm on holiday and I want the freedom to decide on the spur of the moment so I don't want to be tied down to a minute by minute plan. And anyways, herds of buffalos, lion kills and LITS have a tendency to ruin most plans. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 pm 

We usually plan the trip & decide where we are going to have brunch. From there it is a free for all. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I normally plan more or less, what (main) route, taking into account famous roads, hides, picnic places...aswell as roadcondition and vegetationtypes. If the road is very unpleasant to drive on, I somma skip it, and certain places will only have a once off short visit....others 5 !

I like to check every dam or waterhole, but if I see eg. vultures in the air close to a bad dustroad, I will not let that pass :P

It also often depends on what I really want to see :wink:
Often when I dont see much, I tend to drive till I see it :redface:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We spend plenty of time prior to our trip talking about and planning the roads we would most like to include in our adventure (it's like a virtual tour), this is part of the experience for us. The only thing we really stick to (even this changes sometimes) are the breakfast stops... nothing better than a good bush breakfast. However, how we get to the breakfast destination is pretty much decided over the BBQ.