Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: Camping
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:12 am 

Hi there,
I can't seem to find a lot of info on camping in the park. Wich camps have campingsites? Are camping sites appart from the mentioned wilderness camps and the regualars as Two Rivers and Nossob Mata Mata?
Is it free to drive and camp in the park?

Any tips and info welcome!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello huibschut
You can camp in the tradition camps at Kgalagadi Transfronteir National Park, which are Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob. Camping sites are location in the same situation as the chalets.
Camping is not free and one has to book in the same way as you would for chalet accomodation.
Have a look at this link and you will be able to see availablity of camp sites with costs.
http://www.sanparks.org/tourism/availability/

There are other 4 x 4 camps that you can access, but these I am not 100% sure of the booking procedures. I have heard that these you need to book through Botswana, but am sure other forumites who read your request will soon offer good help

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

huibschut - you will also have to pay daily conservation fees and vehicle entrance fees. Check the website Dreamer has forwarded to you which gives all details.

Post subject: rooftop camping
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:58 pm 

Thanks so far, i appologize for my English, but by free i did not mean "nothing to pay" but more like "allowed"

I downloaded a map on which camping site are mentioned ,like Rooijbos, polentawa, swartbos but i can not find a way to make reservations......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:37 am 
Guru
Guru

Hello huibschut

By "Rooijbos" I take it you meas "Rosyntjiebos." That site, along with Witgat and Swartbas, are on the Nossob 4x4 Eco-Trail, and only available for people who book to go on that trail. Polentswa and the all of the camping sites in Botswana, are only bookable through the Botswanan Department of Parks& Wildlife.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 pm 

Hi,

we have been in KTP in December and booked mostly Botswana campsites, as they are much more quiet and natural. You just have to be aware, that there is nothing then the place.....(no shops, most of them without water etc.)
It is rather easy to do booking through their Gaborone office.

Just use this e-mail address: dwnp@gov.bw and tell them where, when and how many persons and cars etc. etc.. You have to prepay just the camping fees by credit card (60 Pula/day). The park fees are to pay at the entrance.

If you want to enter through Twee Rivieren and leave through Mabuasehube into Botswana for instance, you have first to "Check out" at Twee Rivieren Boarder post and check in in Botswana at Two Rivers (some hundret meters distance). Then you can cross the boarder in the park as you like.

I have taken a few pics there - if you like to see them for information - just have a look at www.familie-crome.de (there are also a few more pics from all over Botswana)

Good luck with the bookings.

Ernstl

Post subject: Facilities KTP
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:59 am 

We will be in the KTP from the 13 to 26 April camping at Nossop and Mata Mata. Just wondered if there was communal wash up facilities with hot water and any laundry facilities. Do the camp sites have enough shade or must I bring a canopy?

Marten

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Marten, and welcome to the forums!

As far as I remember, there are wash up and laundry facilities at both camps.

Just doubled checked the Activities and Facilities page, and it says:

Quote:
Laundry tubs and ironing facilities (no iron) in camping area of Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata-Mata.

So that's confirmed. I have a clear memory of washing up dishes at Nossob too.

Now if someone can confirm wash-up at Mata-Mata?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome M. Yes there are in both camps. Like the ablution facilities - it's in fantastic condition - clean, taste full design and with hot and cold water I've never had a cold shower in KTP - obviously I had on my own choice when it's 30 C plus.

Post subject: Camping in Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:52 pm 

Hi Guys, a couple of mates and myself will be doing the camping thing in TR and MM fairly soon and i was just wondering, how hard the ground is?

I have never been there before and have no idea what it is like, is it hard, is it soft, will normal pegs do the trick, is it stoney, please help.
The Viking

Post subject: Re Camping at Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 pm 

Hi,
The ground is firm, pegs will go in easily. There are no stones and the ground squirrels have no problem is digging their holes.
Paul R-J

Post subject: Camping at Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:53 am 

Good question Viking. I would also like to know what the ground is like ........ if it is very sandy & we have short pegs & a wind comes up are we going to have a lift-off? Could anyone tell us?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm 

The ground at both TR and MM is really really hard - especially if it hasn't rained for a day or so. You won't get tent pegs in with a stone (and you'll bend them all, as I did).
I borrowed a mallet from a fellow camper and finally succeeded.

Don't be tempted to scrimp on the ropes and pegs. Most days I was there (6 weeks ago) had big, brief wind 'storms' in the afternoon/evenings. My v small tent survived just! Everyone else with larger tents and big strong pegs was fine. I parked my car really close to the tent to protect it from the wind as much as poss too.

Anyway. Bring/borrow a mallet or hammer. Bring a matress and a pucture repair kit if it's blowup as there are thorny twigs on the ground (a little bit). they're swept up each day - but my foot often managed to find some.
happy camping

Post subject: Camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:27 am 

Hi Viking,

we just got back from KTP. We only experienced serious wind in Twee Rivieren, but if you peg your tent to the ground before erecting it you should be fine (we didn't on the 1st evening and now have 2 bent tent poles as evidence, but thereafter was no problem).

As mentioned already, the ground is sandy yet firm. Some areas DO have a rocky/stoney sub-surface and even with a mallet will result in bent pegs. Fortunately these areas are spread out / unfortunately you can't see beneath the surface. Try hitting the pegs into the ground (to test it) before you set up your tent, just in case you need to move elsewhere.

Happy Camping!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi all! Just booked a trip to KTP in September.We're mostly going to be camping. CB demanded it.

Just wondered what the limit was for the number of tents / cars per campsite. My dad and his wife may join us. That would make it 5 people - max is 6, so we're OK there. But it would be two cars and two tents. Is that OK?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next