SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
It is difficult to take pics of it as it is like a maze. It is huge!! Beautifull I have to add too.

Here is the swimming pool.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Luxury Riverside Bungalow Accommodation at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:27 pm 

ukgolfguy wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone stayed at the new Riverside Bungalows at Skukuza, we are staying there for 3 nights in August, and want to get a feeling on what they are like.

Hi,
we have stayed there last year for 2 days and it was really very nice. We trav el normally by camper but the last 2 days we stay in a bungalow like this. This year again. Good place, nice open kitchen and a very quiet. Last year we had a hyena in the middle of the night right before our bungalow!
HAve a great time
Ruud

Post subject: My hometown
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Everyone

I am so glad you all speak so fondly of my hometown.
And its also interesting that you find Satara to be busier than Skukuza. Fascinating ...

Our official stats say that Skukuza has a slightly higher occupation than Satara but the difference is that Satara is seasonal and Skukuza is right through the year.
This is probably because - and this is my theory! - Skukuza is a generic term for the KNP whereas Satara has its loyal visitors, particularly during school holidays.

Just a little interesting story about the train restaurant - called Selati Grillhouse by the way - it was the original railway station at what was then known as Sabi Bridge.
The railway line - which went from Hoedspruit to Komatipoort - was called the Selati Line and you can still see the old stone foundation of this railway line from parts of the H5 and the S114.

The other interesting titbit of history is that the original driver of the locomotive still visits his former "office" and tenderly gives it a polish.
I have my "sources" looking out for him and will interview him for an article next time I hear he is in town (if he agrees, that is ...).

The truck was until a little while back used as a "Sundowner Experience" that crossed the river bridge and back with a group of people every afternoon.
I hear what Simon says about it being a possible safety risk and will see whether we can store it somewhere else.

Has anybody seen the group of white-tailed mongooses near the Papenfus Clock Tower?
They are often there - my wife and I often treat ourselves to a dinner at Selati, just like city dwellers go out to pizza, we go to Selati - and I suspect they live in the bush between the road (to Selati that goes through the camping sites) and the petrol station.

That reminds me (again). The Papenfus Clock Tower - the stone clock tower at the main crossroads in Skukuza - was at one stage the entrance to the camp!
I am not going to say anything more about Papenfus - there is a plaque at its base and the book "Neem Uit Die Verlede" (available at the Skukuza Library) will give you the full history.

I know they are aimed at the R890-odd per night market, but can anyone give us feedback on the Luxury Riverside Units? These units were upgraded to that standard - in order to provide guests with a more comprehensive choice in accommodation - after the original units were washed away during the floods.

I look forward to your responses ...

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KNPS:

The luxury riverside bungalows do what it says on the tin! Compared with other accommodations in the camps, they are really luxurious, and extremely stylish too.

The worst bit is that they have tv: what is the point?
Also tin doors on the kitchen - bit noisy when opening and closing.

The best bits....double bed (the single beds you see everywhere in the camp accommodations might make for flexibility, but they do not make for a good nights sleep if you want to share a bed with your loved one - especially those with the hard wooden frame around the sides of the mattress!)
The slate tiling is beautiful. The only better bathroom I've encountered in a SANPark was the totally gorgeous semi-outdoor bathroom at Leokwe camp in Mapungubwe.
The view. Can't get any better.

The braai arrangement (chimney and light INSIDE the braai) looked interesting but we just wanted a steak at the Selati Grill for the experience.

Furniture was also a cut above the norm.

These accommodations will never be everyone's cup of tea as some consider that they're not in the bush unless they're camping and the cost is pretty exhorbitant considering the bungalows only sleep 2, but they are well thought out and executed.

We'll use them again, deffo!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've never been bothered much by noise at Skukusa, perhaps just been lucky in the bungalows I've been allotted. Of course it's not the same as being by the fence in the camping areas, but I've had smaller night sounds, likely frogs and insects, and seen what may have been mongoose scurrying accross the grass, and had a chorus of birdsong with my early morning coffee and rusks.

One year I had a riverside bungalow and last trip I was at the end of a row, which is a quiet spot to be. You do hear your neighbors whilst they are braaiing, but I've been far more disturbed by noisy neighbors at other camps - and that fortunately INfrequently.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I would recommend Skukuza for people with young children. There is just enough activity to keep them happy, but enough quiet to keep the rest sane.
I have always been surprised at just how quiet it is at night. Over all I have had mainly good memories of the camp.
It also has a tangible air of excitement. Its amazing how each camp has its own special atmosphere.

Post subject: Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Full sized views at
http://www.pbase.com/richardharris/skukuza

Last edited by richardharris on Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Don't know about the Elsie Clark guest cottage, but if there's at least 4 of you (base rate), it's worth booking the Absa Guest House. It stands on its own at the far left of the camp facing the river and is ENORMOUS, with its own private garden and river frontage.

The accommodation is arranged in an "L" shape as a bedroom block, and a separate lounge/kitchen/dining room block.
It's very private and quiet, so it feels like you're in your own exclusive camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I always enjoy Skukuza. There is an air of excitement and expectation. I have also been fortunate with the accomodation and have had no experience of noisy neighbours.
The museum is also a wonderful place to browse and relax in the heat of the day. Last time I was there the midday temperature was 38 degrees.
I did a lot of browsing :)
Then there are the bats which always give a little more flavour to the place.
I was also very fortunate in being allowed to see the buffalo breeding program and Rhino waiting to be relocated last time I was there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:44 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I keep telling you guys I don't know why you're all avoiding the place like the plague. I'll find the pic I took infront of the take away restaurant on New Year's day. If there were 10 people around it was a lot. As I said before,maybe I should just allow everyone to keep believing Skukuza is a commercial hubbub of tourists then I have it all to myself everytime we go there. We shared the ablution blocks that weekend with 2 caravanning families! :lol:
Here's that pic I promised:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have also been under the impression that Skukuza is a very busy camp to be avoided.

But having read through this thread it seems that althought there is justification for this view it is possibly exaggerated and in quieter periods can be just as restful as the other camps. In terms of game viewing Skukuza is brilliantly positioned, the only thing that bothers me is the fact that the area is busy, however, when one thinks about it there are a number of relatively quiet roads in the vicinity. GP, you are clearly a HUGE fan of this camp, this is interesting coming from someone who loves the North of the park...so there must be something there.. :)

I was looking at the different accomodation options and noticed that the riverside bungalows have different codes, one for those West of the restuarant and one for those on the East. Which side is better or quieter? I am guessing that the west would be quieter as I remember the viewing path being used by visitors on the eastern end more, I have not seen the new day visitors area, where is it in relation to this part of the camp?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I stayed in Skukuza at my recent trip. I agree it's huge and the bush feeling is far away when having dinner in the restaurant. But the bungalow I stayed in was in a round setup of another 8 to 10 bungalows. So really when having a late night drink at our bungalow it didn't feel busy at all. We even heard hyena whooping far away.

Second the game around Skukuza didn't disappoint and I don't know about other people but that was the reason I was there.

I'm not saying the camp is on my priority list for the next trip but I think I will go back there some day.

Salva

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Bananna and welcome to the forum!

I have stayed in the Luxury Riverside Bungalow's and they are good. They are really very luxurious. You have a very nice river view... we saw some lion on the opposite side of the river, lying around most of the day 8) and as Francois said there are some great trees, shade and awesome birdlife.
IMHO i don't prefer them... they have a tv in (i don't feel you need those in Kruger) but opinions differ ons this :wink:
Don't know who you'll be travelling with, but they just have a double bed.
The kitchen part is also totally open (outside) so you have to take everything inside during the day to avoid it being stolen by all the monkeys around. Also not very practical when it is raining.
As some indicated the western side is the best :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:01 pm 

From KPT Vol 2 Issue 21

Quote:
New Skukuza Boardwalk To Showcase Wetlands

A wetland boardwalk is due to be launched soon in the Kruger National Park, starting in the Skukuza nursery car park.
Over 260 metres long, the boardwalk will be more than two metres off the ground in some places, to allow hippo and buffalo to graze underneath, and will be wheelchair friendly.

The boardwalk was initially the idea of Ona Davies, in charge of the Skukuza nursery. After a long planning process, money to build the boardwalk was sourced from the department of environmental affairs’ poverty relief fund.
The boardwalk showcases the importance of wetlands using the wetland created by Lake Panic as an example.
Basically a long loop of decking, it will be two metres wide and have several lookout points, which command a great view of the wetland and the nearby golf course.

These points will be combined with information boards that explain the functions of a wetland, and their importance in maintaining the health of river systems.
Wetland rehabilitation processes will also be outlined on the boards.
Plants, animals and birds associated with wetlands will be explained at the interpretative points.
The main purpose of the wetland walk is to act as an educational tool, to raise awareness with the public of how they can help conserve these valuable areas.
Progress on the walk was halted by heavy rains in January, and so the boardwalk will not be opening as intended on World Wetlands Day on February 2, but is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

Post subject: Skukuza Gate
Unread postPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next