SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nightjars: Pennant Winged
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

We are staying a couple of nights at Punda in mid December. Are the Pennant wings back in the area, I remember reports last season that there was a group of them accessible on a night drive from the camp, and quite a good chance of seeing them?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Niall.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:24 am 

The pennant wings are most deffinetely back, we dipped on them on birding day but one of the other teams saw 3 in one evening!!! As far as I'm concerned they don'e exist but apparently they've been seeing them very regularly on the night drive aswell.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As Johnd says they are back or should definitely be. If I remember correctly they tend to be seen more easily in November as the males are displaying during this time.
You can however still see them till some time in February I suppose.
Just tell the guide on the night drive that you want to see them and they should be able to take you to the little no-entry road where most people have been lucky with them, as were we in Jan 2006. One very brief sighting meaning we have to go back and get a proper look this time :wink:

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject: Re: Pennant Winged Nightjars
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Niall wrote:
Hi all

We are staying a couple of nights at Punda in mid December. Are the Pennant wings back in the area, I remember reports last season that there was a group of them accessible on a night drive from the camp, and quite a good chance of seeing them?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Niall.

Hi Niall

Go on the Evening Drive with the guide Thembane, ask specifically about the Pennant-Wings. With luck it will just be you and him and he will take you around the back along the fence line in the hills behind Thulamila. I saw three with him there. The one encircled the vehicle for about 10 min before landing in the road just in front of us. It was just after sunset, as the darkness set in. Absolutely amazing bird [although not a lifer for me] it was still a brilliant sighting.

Good luck
MV

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 pm 

Hi Niall,

The Pennant Winged Nightjars are seen on Sunset drives only on the Mahonie Loop going clockwise from camp and then the driver turns left down a no entry track about a Km or two on Mahonie. However it is already too late as they would have left this displying area by late nov and moved out of sight into the bush. We went to Punda twice in Dec the last 2 yrs and were too late at this spot but 4 yrs ago we went in mid Nov and got them...Good luck ...they will stiil be in N Kruger so hope you get them but they wont be in the dead cert area they are always at in Nov on Mahonie :)

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Peter Betts wrote:
...The Pennant Winged Nightjars are seen on Sunset drives only on the Mahonie Loop going clockwise from camp and then the driver turns left down a no entry track about a Km or two on Mahonie. However it is already too late as they would have left this displying area by late nov and moved out of sight into the bush...

Strange that we saw them in this exact spot end of January. :?
You might have just had some bad luck Peter. They stick around that area till sometime in Feb as far as I know. But as you mention November is the best time as they are displaying then.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

does anybody know if nightjars are migratory? i am clueless :redface:

please help
all the best Batmad

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Batman

Some are, others aren't. Three of the seven are migrants:
European Nightjar, Pennant-Winged Nightjar and Rufous-Cheeked Nightjar.

Post subject: Re: Nightjars: Pennant Winged
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The pennan-winged nightjars have returned :dance:

Some tips for those eager to see them at Punda Maria:
Nightjars become active at dusk so it is better to book a sunset drive to go and wait for them to come and display - please tell the guide that you're specifically looking for them because the leck (display area) is on a management road.
Some nights they don't come out to display like last evening; pre-frontal winds were blowing and you would notice that the bush is quiet on nights like this. The evening before we saw one sitting on the road and then fly up and display.
In my (limited) experience they arrive in October and leave around February. Some nights that are very hot I haven't seen them display or call - the bird would probably loose too much moisture/use too much energy.

Just remember that they begin breeding in December so the males loose their pennants arond mid December...the rufous females lack white markings (like the European nightjar) but they're bigger than any other nightjar making it easier to ID them. They might be seen elsewhere in Kruger (even at Crocodile bridge) and insome other Parks like Marakele, but Punda is the only spot that we know of in Kruger that they return to breed.

Happy birding

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

B,

Thanks for the info, I still need to see one in Southern Africa. I photographed this one in the Broad-leaved Woodland of Zambia.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thnx Johan

Wow LG!

The best I could do was this:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25404&start=945

Happy birding

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm 

Hello everyone

We have planned our very first trip to Punda Maria for November 2011 and we are very excited!

I just wanted to check with the experts on this forum, if a sunset drive would be better than a night drive at Punda Maria should we want to increase our chances of seeing the Pennant Wingend nightjar?

Thank you for your assistance

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Pennant-winged Nightjar becomes active just after sunset. So I think you are making a good decision there with a sunset drive. :wink:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:08 am 

Thank you very much for the advice, have booked a sunset drive. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi bushdancer!
I wish you all the best with your trip - just make sure that you inform the guide so that he knows that you're looking for pennant-winged nightjar, as the spot is not on the "conventional night drive route"...it's on a service road.

Kind regards