Skip to Content

General advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Have your meat vacuum packed in meal sized portions, it will last longer on ice.

Regarding malaria, remember pills are not 100 % effective and the side effects of some pills can mask the symptoms of malaria in certain individuals. To be safe go overboard and do all the things you describe in addition to taking pills.

Have a great time.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 am

On our last trip, we made extensive use of ice sold from the shops and a cooler bag.
We just cut open the packets and poured a few packs of ice over our food.
The meat did last from one destination to the next and in fact needed defrosting once before we braaied.
We were there a short period of time, which is why I am not sure how it would be for large amounts.

I would suggest that you steer clear of chicken, except maybe for the first two nights.
Smoked meats, such as certain spare ribs will keep well.
Have everything vacumed packed, and for the later days have it vacumed packed in marinades. I seem to remember the freezer being pretty much the size of the average fridge freezer.

If the freezers are too small for your quantity of meat, there is always the possibility of just using lots of ice and a cooler bag and replenishing it regularly.
I used about 4 packs a day for travelling purposes.
Last edited by Meandering Mouse on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Gary1210

Rules and regulations

Unread postby Gary1210 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 am

Does anybody know where i can find the rules and regulations for national parks?

Your urgent reply would be appreciated.

Regards.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 am

Hope this helps.

Code of Conduct - KNP
Sawubona
Dalene

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:06 am

Liora wrote:Thanks for all the info and the excited posts. Now I want to get there more than ever :dance:

Bringing the meat with us, I am getting a bit nervous about not having enough freezer space. Also, is it feasible to pack the meat in cooler bags with dry ice?

Hi Liora.
I have researched the dry ice thing but have not used it yet.
It keeps you stuff cold at about -70 degrees so it will be very cold. I have no knowlegdeof how long it lasts.
The down side of dry ice (other than a very low temp) is that it is solid carbon dioxide, which goes from solid to gas. Co2 is known to attract mozzies.
What works for me a salt water solution which I freeze in 2l coke bottles. I am not certain what the ratio is but I would say about four tablespoons of salt per 2l will give you a solid ice bottle at about -20 degrees. As the water stays in the bottle, the food does not get wet. (I have an aversion to my Rump steak getting "marinated" in water for several days before I braai it.) I have three cooler boxes and use one for food only. It is in this box that I use frozen bottles of water and a saline solution. The salt solution will tend to melt before the ordinary water bottles, but the temperature is still low enough to keep everything cold.
This lasts us around five or six days in Winter. The secret is to open the coolers only when necessary and for as short a time span as possible. Open the box, get your stuff, and close it immediately. That keeps the warm air out and prolongs the life of the ice.
Also important is to keep the boxes out of the sun.
I purchased a Coleman wide body cooler some years ago, which I have found to be useless. If purchasing coolers, rather get the good stuff (it will last and can be used many times in the future. I am confident that you will enjoy the park so much you will want to go back again, repeatedly.)

In the drinks box, I use only ice cubes and this tends to leave rust marks inside, but that is not a biggie in my life.
Hope you have agreat trip.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am

Jazil wrote: BH, we also use 2L coke bottles filled with water which we freeze. I am curious to know why you add the salt if you say the solution with salt will melt before the ordinary water bottles? :?

If you add impurities to water it lowers the freezing point and raises the boiling point. (Primary school science as I remember it).
Therefore adding salt to water lowers the freezing point. To keep it solid, it has to be at a lower temp. (-20 deg.)
Therefore any temp above -20 will turn it back to salt water, but it is still very cold.
Also, being colder, it should keep your food frozen for longer.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 pm

I also use one of those cooler boxes that runs off car battery. Not the expensive condensor type as they take too long to get cold in the first place..... I have an invertor so I can plug it in to mains if needed too.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 pm

My drinks have stayed cold in the hottest weather south east Kruger has thrown at me so far! Actually another tip is to freeze your drink itself - works well with juice cartons, and if you decant others into water bottles leaving space for expansion. Then it slowly defrosts giving you ice cold liquid through the day - and acts as cold block in your cool box too! I travel with one of the little DC cooler frigs next to me on the passenger seat as I am usually alone and always have a cold drink available.....

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Penny » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Liora dry ice works absolutely brilliantly - buy it in blocks and wrap it in newspaper - do not remove the newspaper (it helps to insulate) and place the food at the bottom of the coolbox with the dryice on top - do not cut the dry ice up but use one solid block. This kept our meat etc for 48 hours on the trip from Durban to Kgalagadi with an overnight stop in Kimberley where we did not even take the coolbox out of the trailer. It works brilliantly. The problem with using anything that has to be be refrozen like blue bricks, bottles of water etc. is that with some of the freezers in the Park there is insufficient room to put both the food and the means to keep it cold into the freezer together unless you have more than one hut in which case you will have more than one fridge. One June holiday we kept meat in a steel belted Collemans coolbox with dryice and did not open it for 5 days and when we did everything was still rock solid!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:48 am

The most basic essentials for a trip to Kruger are
Camera, Sunglasses, Binoculars, sunhat & sunscreen , mosquito repellant, torch, a good map with bird and animal identification included or a separate animal and bird field guide.
During the day you can go for a walk around the camp. There is always plenty birdlife in all the camps and most of the camps have small game like squirrels, bats and so on in them. Sometimes you will just want to have a day time sleep as you get up very early and get tired. Take a couple of books to read or the bigger camps ususally have a selection of wild life interest books in the shop that may interest you. Take time out to just relax under a tree and see what nature has to offer. You will see a lot of the small things like that
Enjoy your 1st safari I know you'll be back for more!
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

All the picnic sites have toilet facilities, but the further north you go the fewer there are, As a rule of thumb, there is about 2 hours between each place you could stop at with a loo. Of course there are some shorter and some longer, but thats an average kind of time. The picnic sites in the south have shops where you can get take aways, but as you go further north they seem to do cooldrinks only. All the camps do take aways,, but I think its only Tshokwane and south that have take away and mini resturant facilities.
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Freda » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:38 pm

All your camps have shops and all have restaurants, I think all have take-aways but not sure about Mopani, perhaps someone else can help here.
There is no picnic spot on the H14 from Phalaborwa to Mopani (approx 70kms) so you could take the H9 and stop at Letaba (52kms) then the H1-6 to Mopani, 47kms, depends what time you enter the park.
If you visit Makhadzi picnic site while at Mopani they don't have a shop but they have wheelchair friendly toilets, bit of a steep incline but OK.
Mopani to Letaba, Letaba to Olifants, Olifants to Satara should be fine as not too far apart :wink:
From Satara to Skukuza you can stop at Tshokwane, has takeaways and toilets for the disabled.
Skukuza to Berg-en-dal will need a stop at Afsaal, small shop, nice takeaway and toilets.

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Mopani does have a restuarant with a lovely view over the dam. Great place for a snack and I'm pretty sure it will have wheelchair friendly facilities as it is one of the newer camps in the oark

vanalder

KNP Picnic Spots et al info

Unread postby vanalder » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Sounds like fun with a bit of a challenge thrown into
the mix. Here are some sites you might check:

KNP "Facilities"
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... lities.php

KNP Picnic sites
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... cspots.php

KNP Map with non-camp picnic spots shown
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/im ... erPark.gif

Have a great trip. Daan

Morphoso

Unread postby Morphoso » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi Forumites!

Just a quick question, we're going to be in KNP next week; When entering at the gates in the morning, can you bypass the day visitor car queue if you have a booking in the park? I have seen cars pass us in the queue when on a day visit and would like to know if we can do the same?

Thanks in advance
Mo
"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as if everything is"
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Kruger National Park”