Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Easy one for the monday morning
Where did i see this

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:07 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Does it have something to do with' Jock of the bushveld'?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

is this not one of the carts used by the transport riders,19th century.Afsaal was used as a stop over by the transport riders.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Found this on http://www.krugerpark.co.za/
Quote:
Afsaal was a camp site used by 19th century transport riders. Today it is a picnic spot with a restaurant and store for you to purchase refreshments. There is an old wagon at Afsaal with a likeness to those used by the transport riders.

What is not clear is whether the cart is an original wagon or a reproduction.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Sir Percy Fitzpatrick worked on a supply route through the Lowveld, along the Old Delgoa Road, which was used between May and September (the dry disease-free winter months) by transport riders from the Lydenburg Goldfields (Spitzkop, Macmac, Pilgrim’s Rest and Lydenburg) to Lourenco Marques. It was this route that served as the setting for many of Jock’s adventures.

This road, known as “The Old Transport Road” dated back to 1844 when Andries Potgieter and a party of horseman were tasked with finding a practical route between the Ohrigstad area and the port city of Lourenco Marques. The route would eventually link Ohrigstad, the Blyde-Truer convergence, Grapskop, Sabie, Spitzkop, Pretorius Kop, Godleni poort (north of Komatipoort ) and Lourenco Marques. The route was later improved by a Portugues businessmen, Joao Albasini, in 1847. He established a more direct and better watered route between Pretorius Kop and Lourenco Marques through drifts on the Crocodile and Komati Rivers.

When Ohrigstad was abandoned and Lydenburg established in 1850, the Voortrekkers linked, by means of a mountain pass over the Drakensberg, this new town to the original Spitzkop road.

In 1873 the road was extended from MacMac over the Burgers Pass (named after the president following his visit to and naming of McMc) down the Blyde valley through seven drifts to Pilgrim’s Rest and then linked to Lydenburg via Robbers Pass and Krugers Post.

In 1875 the route between Pilgrim’s Rest and Lourenco Marques was reserved for the use of the Hungarian, Alois Nelmapius, a successful Pilgrim’s Rest digger and his Lourenco Marques and South African Transport Service by the Transvaal Volksraad which donated a number of farms to him for use as resting stations for his carriers. The Transport service collapsed after trouble with Sekukhuni carriers during May 1876. The road was not used because of the Sekukhuni wars, won by the British in 1879 after annexing the Transvaal in 1877, and the first Anglo-Boer War in 1881. Only in 1883 did transport riders use it again, until 1892 when the eastern railway line between Lourenco Marques and Pretoria reached Nelspruit in June of that year. After this the road became redundant and was only ever used on isolated occasions.

Today Jock of the Bushveld Waymarks have been placed wherever this old road crosses or departs from the modern roads, or along the original road where it is still wholly or partly in use. These waymarks were inspired by Mrs. Cecily Niven, daughter of FitzPatrick.

Fitzpatrick’s first wagon journey to Lourenco Marques (now Maputo) along this road started on 8 May, 1885. He was the least experienced of a party of transport riders, arranged by Hugh Lanion Hall, to transport supplies purchased at the Port. One of this group was Ted Sievewright, the owner of Jess, Jock’s mum.
Fitzpatrick wrote Jock of the Bushveld in Europe in 1905 while recovering from a persistent illness he had contracted in Pretoria Central Prison where he had been detained for his involvement with the reform committee against the Kruger Government. It was dedicated to his children: Nugent, Alan, Oliver, and Cecily.

In writing this book, he made the Samarhole spruit or Ship Mountain Camp a focal point of some of the major events in this writing. It was here that the group he was traveling with nearly lost their wagons and equipment in a self-inflicted veld fire. It was also here that Jess had her litter. She gave birth at the Samarhole campsite, under a big tree standing near the edge of the spruit. Her timing had been bad, as it happened to be on the same day that the party had decided to resume their journey to Lourenco Marques. While the wagons were being inspanned, Jess aggressively prevented any approach towards the party’s rifles resting against the trunk of the tree. It was soon discovered why Jess had been acting in such a peculiar manner. In the soft long grass beneath the tree the cry of a puppy could be heard. Ted was sent for to entice Jess onto his wagon. She and her six puppies were given a special nest near the tailboard of Ted’s wagon. Of the six, 5 resembled their father, an imported dog, with only one looking like Jess. Fitzpatrick was to take an interest in the runt because the other five had been booked by Ted’s friends. In Jock of the Bushveld, Fitzpatrick tells the story of how this runt would eventually become the champion of the litter, Jock.

The party’s route along the Delgoa Road has been marked, with one Jock of the Bushveld waymark south of Afsaal on the main Malelane-Skukuza tarred road. A second waymark is an original placed, near Fihlamanzi, by the then Transvaal Provincial Administration in 1951 to preserve the route of the Old Road. There is a waymark at a parking spot overlooking the Crocodile drift on the Malelane-Crocodile Bridge road where Jock, Fitz and Jim Makokel had their famous fight with the old crocodile.

The book also contains a number of anecdotes which take place in the White River district. These include the chapters on Jock’s schooldays, his first hunt, Fitzpatrick’s story of being lost in the veld with Jock, the “Impala Stampede”, and “Jock’s Night Out.”

Source: “In Fitpatrick’s Footsteps” by B.P. Simmons.
[

Goodnight everyone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The other thread on Albasini and Jock of the bushveld made me nostalgic. So now all of you reading this must suffer as well ;-)

Can you imagine Afsaal without the shop, without five hundred other people, without crows and noise??

This is how it was in Jock of the Bushveld's time. Him and Percy Fritzpatrick went there quite often on their travels as it was already a known "resting spot", which is also where the word "afsaal" originates from. "Afsaal" is the action of taking the saddle of your horse.

So next time you are there, look at everything and erase the buildings and people and imagine seeing Percy and Jock coming towards you with their ox wagon ;-)

Then remember that on the spot you are standing, it is very likely that jock touched that exact same spot.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:42 pm 

Congratulations to Afsaal for getting the KNP "shop of the year award."
Well done to you all, well deserved for what I think is a very nicely run outfit. :clap: :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The leopard warning sign was put up just before you got there BH. One day spottie ran in and nicked the bacon off a skottel and raced away with the prize, never to be seen (probably recognised really) again!

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:29 am 

Elsa wrote:
Plus the manager there is always happy to show us where the Skopsie is sitting that particular day.
So for us a big :thumbs_up:

I think everything, and everyone, has seasons! Especially when it's busy, I'm sure there are times when the stressed staff aren't at their most friendly. I work in a service industry and there are times when, even with the best intentions, it may be difficult to smile.

I personally have never had a problem with any of the staff at Afsaal. I always try and be pleasant first, because this often can elicit positive emotions in even a sad service provider.

Personally, I enjoy Afsaal (when it's quieter): this was the first place I saw blue waxbills and African firefinches, both cutely drinking from a pool of rain water. That "Skopsie", I must confess, is not always easy to find. Last time, I strained valiantly, but in vain. Eventually, one of the shop staff volunteered to show me where it was. It was a great sighting because, for once, it's eyes were open!

So, for me, Afsaal rocks ... :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Post subject: Re: Afsaal Picnic Spot
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Afsaal is well know for it's pancakes. They really are lovely :thumbs_up:

Last time I was there I was stumbling around like a disorientated drunk trying to find Skopsie, (no, I was not a disorientated drunk :wink: ). I felt a tap on my shoulder and one of the cleaning staff kindly pointed me in the right direction.

Their coffee was also very good and for those who drink beer, I did see them selling draught beer from a keg.

In my beer drinking days I would have tried to empty the keg :lol: :lol:

Most importantly, the ablutions are spotless.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

June 1984 .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I did not take pictures of the litter during a recent visit, :twisted:

but here is one of Skopsie :D

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
TR: Dupacc and Darrlin saw birdies and kitties

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The last time we saw the Scopsy was on the 19th of March 09..

Regarding Afsaal, all the times that we have been there it was clean. Maybe the responsible staff member were sick that day/week? I wish I could make hundreds of DO NOT LITTER!!!! boards and shove it up a few places. :roll:

We always choose the furthest table and although it is busy it is not to difficult to shut the whole world out. A herd of elephants passed us in the dry river and it was absolutely magic. They were so close to us that we could smell them, almost touch them!

We are in Kruger once a month and I have to say that we have never had a problem with loud or rude guests at Afsaal. Nkhuhlu's tables are placed closer together so you will always hear your neighbors conversation, but not at Afsaal.

After having the elephants so close to us I will certainly return there every time, even if it is just for the memory. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

This might make you happy. Skopsie at our last visit on the way to the AAA challenge.

this was thursday 12/11/09.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:03 am 

Nice pic, MM :thumbs_up: - Always difficult getting a good pic of Scops as he often backlights himself (deliberately methinks). I'm still wondering if all Scops are so territorial that they barely move from their tree, regardless of the activity around there.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)