Skip to Content

Masorini Picnic Site

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Masorini Picnic Site

Unread postby Stoffel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Does anybody know if they still offer the guided walks at Masorini? We did it in 1987. It was the first place where I saw dassies in Kruger. I recall the guide walking with a portable tape recorder which he switched on and off while showing you the various points of interest. I also recall that he mentioned about a leopard visiting the Masorini hill from time to time.

Masorini was normally our breakfast spot when we still lived in Tzaneen and visited the park on day visits.
Chris Boucher

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes they still do. There are guides stationed there. Also a small museum, telling the history of the community and containing artifacts.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Foxy
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:11 pm

And a place to have lunch. Don't think they have skottles for brunch though - maybe someone else knows if they do.

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:16 pm

I think they do. I remember seeing skottels there, but have never lunched there.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Masorini picnic site

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Of all the picnic sites in Kruger we have never stopped at Masorini, not sure why although it looks like a great place. We have seen Klipspringer a few times in the vicinity though. Would you recommend this site for a picnic or for staying a while?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Masorini picnic site

Unread postby Crested Val » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 pm

That whole area (Masorini and Erfplaas waterholes) is excellent for dassies and klippies!! :clap:

We spent 2 months last year in Phalaborwa, so travelled that area almost every day. :thumbs_up:

On the first day, while watching elephants at the waterhole near Masorini, we saw a magnificent leopard heading towards the picnic area, and saw a young leopard there a day or so later, so we have never had the courage to actually get out of the car. :big_eyes:

Thats just us though....I'm sure other people will give you their ideas on the subject. :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to get back there, and this time we will be in Phala for 4 months!!! :dance:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Virtual Potjie Competition for VHR Far School's Project

anabel1

Unread postby anabel1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I have had several breakfast braais there, it is never too busy. You can also take a guided tour of the ancient iron workings. Have seen sable there and lots of animals at sable dam. well worth a stop.

Terri-Lee

Unread postby Terri-Lee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Anabel1 - does one have to book for the tour? and about how long does it take?
Would really appreciate you feedback as I dont know this area well and we will be overnghting at Sable in July :dance:

Thanks!
Terri

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

As far as I know and I stand to be corrected but I think one just speaks to the attendants there and they take you on the tour.
I remember them asking us if we wanted to do the tour the one time we stopped there but we unfortunately didn't have the spare time on that visit.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

anabel1

Re: Masorini Picnic Site

Unread postby anabel1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

Yes the tour is taken by the attendants there. They take you part way up the koppie, When I went it took about 30 minutes and you don,t have to book. Very interesting

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 am

And some very interesting facts on the area Here :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

PetraJ
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PetraJ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 pm

We always stop there, saw lions there and once a cheetah. Sometimes you can just hear the lions, and that makes for a very fast retreat to the car, as Scipio was once a long time ago trapped inside the ablutions :twisted:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed May 22, 2013 2:46 pm

The arcaelogical display and structures appears rather tatty , the protective roofs covering some structures from rain & sun have collapsed
When visiting in January the attendant guide informed that money has been budgeted for its upkeep and refurbishment .

Can this be confirmed ?
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu May 23, 2013 9:48 am

I do know that a survey of all sites in Kruger is being planned with a view to a comprehensive Interpretation policy on displays, signage, etc. Any improvements may have to wait for this, unless already on budgets.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

11ie

Advice needed: Phalaborwa Gate to Masorini

Unread postby 11ie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Hallo Mites,
I might soon have the opportunity to tag along with a friend who has to go to Phalaborwa for business.

She invited me along for the ride and a stay over in KNP for a night or hopefully two!

I was hoping to go to Masorini and wait there for her while she is busy in town (CCMA!). I was hoping that she could drop me off and go back and join me when she is done.

Would it be allowed? I thought that I might take a tour of the site, because I never have enough time to spend there because we are either on our way in or on our way back home.

I don’t want to get in trouble and be ‘aborted’ before I could even begin to enjoy a day or two in KNP!
11ie

12-15 March 2015 Shimuweni Birding Weekend

27-28 June 2015 Shingwedzi
29-30 June 2015 Olifants
1-3 July 2015 Tamboti
4 July 2015 Sable Hide

27-31 December 2015 Letaba
1-5 January 2016 Maroela

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”