Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nyala's Addo trip report July 2007
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:05 pm 

Addo trip report, July 2007 – Part 1

I’ll be sending the trip report in a day to day series.

Day 1 – 21 July 2007-08-06

We left home (Bellville) early, at 03:00 to get to the park at around noon. I decided to take the route via Worcester, Oudtshoorn, Uniondale, Langkloof, Port Elizabeth, then the N2 and N10 to Addo. We stopped in Uniondale for breakfast and spent an hour there.
We arrived in Addo at 13:15. We were booked for the first night in a Chalet. The accommodation was really 1st class and after unpacking we left for game viewing.
Immediately on entering the game viewing area, we spotted the first of many Warthog. They were very ‘laid back’, and grazing right next to the car without moving off.

We decided to go to Hapoor Dam, and took the route via Gwarrie Pan and Rooidam. While seeing some more Warthogs and Kudu, there was no real abundance of them. At Hapoor there were some piggies and Ostrich.

After spending some time there, we returned to the camp via the tar road. So far no Elephants at all! After about 5km, there was the 1st Ellie in the road, with many excited viewers and all!

We stopped on the grass verge and suddenly out pop more Elephant right in front of us. My wife (sorry, but calling her SO (pronounced as sow) will not sit kindly with her. lol) was at that stage a bit jittery about the close proximity of one, so I decided to back up a bit. As I looked in the rear view mirror and voila! more Elephant behind us. So I switched of the engine and enjoyed the show. Right behind us we witnessed the propagation of a new Elephant, the first time I have seen that. I caught it on video through the rear window. By that time we were well surrounded by them.

As it was getting a bit late, we moved on to the camp. Just before Woodlands, a Jackal ran across the road, but was gone by the time I had my camera out. Now we also more Kudu and Piggies.

That evening we went to the restaurant for dinner and were seated right under Hapoor. The menu was great and the food as well. We also indulged in a bottle of red wine.

The camp is very ‘private’ with accommodation laid out so that you cannot really see other accommodation.

KNP 2014
Berg en Dal 20 - 23 Aug 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014
Lower Sabie 5 - 9 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:30 pm 

Addo trip report, July 2007 – Part 2

Day 2 – 22 July 2007

We were up early, as we had to pack everything into the car before we went game viewing, as we were switching accommodation. We booked for 3 nights in a Safari Tent and could not get one for the first night. At 7:00 we left camp, getting a ‘pass’ at the gate, showing number 6, so we were car no. 6 out that morning.

As we have never been to Addo before, it was a bit of a toss-up where to travel to. We had a look at the game spotting board last night and it showed Lion seen near Spekboom Hide. We decided to go right to the south gate and then return from there. On the way, we saw the first real big concentration of Kudu and a lot of Warthog. Unfortunately most of the animals were between us and the rising sun, so I didn’t try to take pictures.
Nothing at Spekboom, so we continued south. Rounding a bend in the road, we came across this bird – could someone please identify it?

A bit further on, much more piggies, with this bird (?) hitching a ride.

Also a magnificent Kudu bull, treating us to a modelling show.

A bit closer to the gate, we came across some partridges.

On the way back, we again stopped at Spekboom Hide. Initially there was nothing to be seen, then my wife spotted some Elephants in the distance and sure enough, they came to the waterhole. It’s just so exciting being behind the wooden fence at Spekboom, so close to the Elephants. There was one cow with only one large tusk, perhaps some of you have seen her before. We spent a lot of time there watching the herd, till they wandered off.

On we went to Hapoor Dam. There we saw our 1st hartebeest. There were also kudu, Warthog, Elephant and Zebra.

From there we went to Zuurkop Lookout and saw herds of antelope far away on the grasslands. On our way around the Gorah Loop, we came across more Hartebeest, Kudu, Zebra and Warthog.

From there we went back to camp, arriving at 12:30, to move into our Safari Tent. The tent is actually built on a raised wooden platform and the veranda is right on the perimeter fence. In the 3 days we were there, we saw Elephant, Jackal, Warthog and Kudu right in front of us, and this in the late afternoon when we came back. I have photos of the Safari Tent, if anyone is interested, please pm me.

After unpacking, we went game viewing again. At Woodlands we saw another Elephant herd and they crossed the road just in front of us. From there we went via Zuurkop Lookout and did the Mbabala loop, where we found our first Buffalo herd. They were in the bush and we only saw 8 of them, but there were many more.

There was also some Vervet Monkeys.

So back to camp. Near the camp we saw this bird (?). Yes, we really need to get a good book on birds; it’s already on my list of purchases before our next trip!

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great day 2 nyala. lovely sightings. i think the bird on the warthog could be a boubou of sorts and the other bird is a goshawk....great pic :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Bird 1 - black headed heron
Bird 2 on warthog - dunno, too square on
Bird 3 - pale chanting goshawk

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The partridge is a red necked francolin (spur fowl), as there is no pear tree!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Thanx Nyala! Keep it coming! :D Bird 2 could be Boubou shrike, as Jonty said.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 pm 

Addo trip report, July 2007 – Part 3

Day 3 – 23 July 2007

We booked for the Sunrise Game drive and turned up very warmly dressed. We were offered ponchos, which we accepted, as it’s quite chilly in the early morning. We set off just after 7am and went to Woodlands. We saw a lot of Elephant and Kudu, but no Warthog and were told that the Warthog emerges a bit later from their holes. Sure enough, we did see them later. We also saw a Tortoise next to the road.

Further on we turned off the tar road towards Carols Rest. After a short while, we saw a huge heard of buffalo far away, moving in the general direction of Domkrag Dam. So we turned around, went ahead of them and waited. Sure enough, they came right towards us and passed next to the truck. I stopped counting at 60, but there were many more. This was really one of the highlights of our sightings, to see such a large heard so close up.

After watching them for some time, we turned around again and travelled in the direction of Carols Rest. On our far right, on the edge of the grassland, we saw Eland. This was also out first sighting of Eland. A bit far for a good pic, but still identifiable.

We continued further and turned right towards Zuurkop Lookout. There were also Burchell’s Zebra, Kudu and Warthog on our left. Just as we got close to the lookout, looking upwards from the road, we saw 2 Lions halfway up the hill on our left, looking upwards to Zuurkop Lookout.

Our game Guide took us up to the lookout point, but the view was not as good as from below. We then returned there and watched the 2 for some time. This being our 1st Lions in the park and told there were only 11 in total, made this really exceptional for us. The Lions were also magnificent beasts, with dark manes. We then made our way back to the Camp, with lots of Red Hartebeest, Kudu, Warthog and Elephant sightings on the way.

Back in the camp, we grabbed some picnic goodies and set off on our own again. We went via Domkrag Dam, but it was deserted. Making our way back to the lions, we spotted 5 Ostrich and abundance of game. When we arrived at the Lions, only one was still visible. At Zuurkop Lookout, other game viewers had also spotted the Lion and were out of their vehicles looking down. Although you may alight at the lookout, there is no fence and a sign warning of Lion.

We continued on to Woodlands, coming across these Meerkat. Michele, they asked me to give you a message - they hope to see you soon!

Ok, so the route is Woodlands, Gwarrie Pan, Rooidam and Hapoor Dam. We saw this Butcher Bird next to the road.

As well as some Zebra at Hapoor Dam.

We went on to Spekboom Hide, but not much there, so on to Marion Maree Waterhole. Just past the Botanical Reserve (on the left), where the park fence is visible on the right, we saw this.

She wandered off and we made our way to Marion Maree Waterhole, where we found a herd of Elephant drinking.

Returning to Spekboom, we were just in time to see the Buffalo drinking.

From there, back to camp and another Jackal across the road and into the bush. At Woodlands we found another big Elephant herd, just before we returned to camp.

In the camp, we saw more birds:

This turned out to be a very good day, with 3 Lions to boot. Plenty Elephant, Buffalo, Kudu and Warthog as well as Eland, Zebra, Jackal, Ostrich, Meerkat, Red Hartebeest and various birds. To-morrow is our last day and the weather is still ok, with storms in Cape Town, on the way here, so holding thumbs weather-wise.

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:44 pm 

TexasBoer wrote:
Nyala, great sightings!

We were in Addo on July 23 as well! We entered at Colchester and the lady there told us about the female lion you saw that day. Apparently she was laying there most of the day, but alas, when we got there she was gone :( Did you chase her away? :evil:

My report will follow soon (as soon as I have adjusted to the Texas time again, and have my work caught up a bit).

I didn't see your yellow ribbon!!!! And you must not have seen mine since nobody seemed to notice it.

She was there the next day as well. :D
Looking forward to your report, TexasBoer!

Unfortunately, it completely slipped my mind to get a yellow ribbon. :redface: I thought I had the solution: Take a white ribbon and write on it "YELLOW RIBBON", but my wife vetoed that idea. :shock:

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 pm 

michele nel wrote:

But now .. these people that were out of their car at the viewpoint...did they know the lions were there????? If they did I am :shock: :shock: :shock: seems a bit dangerous to me because where there is one or two there could be another hiding behind a bush waiting to pounce you!

By the way there is a sign up there warning you about lions...at least there was when I was last there!!

They were looking at the Lion, Michele, just risking it a bit to get a better view. The sign is still there.
Enjoy your trip in October!

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 pm 

Addo trip report, July 2007 – Part 4

Day 4 – 24 July 2007

This morning we went Woodlands, Carols Rest, Zuurkop Lookout Point and Spekboom Hide. Just before the turn-off to Zuurkop lookout, we saw some Eland, this time somewhat closer, but still a bit too far off for a good picture.

Of the 2 Lions from yesterday, there was no sign, oh well.. perhaps the female neat Spekboom Hide would still be there. So on to Spekboom. Plenty of Kudu and some Elephant to be seen, very few Warthog, but they like to sleep late.
At Spekboom Hide, we were just in time to see a lone Buffalo still at the waterhole.

From there, we went South, looking for the lioness of yesterday, being very optimistic. Well, when we got to the place where we saw her, there she was! While were there, one car came past and never stopped. I had to press the horn to get their attention. :redface: We stayed there for some time, but it was clear she was not going to move, so we went on.

We travelled all the way back to Woodlands, where we found some contract workers clustered around their vehicle. Looking around, we saw why. They were working at the waterhole and a Buffalo chased them off. He was having a mud bath when we got there.

We then headed back to camp for lunch. At the camp we saw some Elephant at the waterhole and spent some time on our balcony, watching them.

We took a stroll around the Camping Area, which was really well laid out. All the sites had gravel and most had shade as well. We’ll definitely be camping next time we go.

The afternoon we travelled to Domkrag Dam, where there were a lot of birds and a solitary Elephant.

So, on to Carols Rest. On the way were Ostrich, Red Hartebeest, Kudu, Zebra, Warthog and Elephant.

Actually a LOT of Elephant. The herd was moving towards us, so I parked next to a bush on the side of the road and waited. As they passed us, some were playing, while others were feeding. I tried counting, but stopped after reaching 40.

We carried on to Carols Rest, seeing Zebra close up.

When we got to Carols Rest, there was a Jackal nosing around some old carcass. Still very far off, but at least this time I could manage a picture of him.

Back at Woodlands, the Buffalo had moved off, to enable the workers to get on with their job. Although there were Elephant at the water, that did not bother the workers much.

That was also our last day and we got back just before the gates closed. All good things must come to an end, they say.
As I have mentioned, this was our first trip to Addo, we have always gone to Kruger National Park. However, we were so impressed with the Park, the friendly Staff, the abundance of game, the excellent accommodation and our experience in general, that we’ll be back very soon. The roads are in excellent condition, both the tarred and un-tarred ones. We missed out on Rhino, Hyena and nocturnal animals, but they were seen, as we saw on the game spotting board.

I have heard that Cheetah and Wild Dogs will be introduced in the near future as well.

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:18 pm 

just thought I'd add to ur post... was also there in july, and at that same place saw tthe female lion, there were actually 2, and the one had these tiny cubs! we watched her and them for around an hour, before they moved into the bush behind where u have the pic of the female, and I dont think they were seen again, we certainly couldnt find them....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:27 am 

That's great, Lovehyena, we did not see them. :(
We will be going to Addo in October and will definately look out for them.

KNP 2014
Satara 24 - 27 Aug 2014
Tsenze 28 - 31 Aug 2014
Satara 1 - 4 Sep 2014

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]