Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Elsa and Klystron's Flying visit to the Kgaligadi : Nov '06
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:38 pm 

Almost ready to fly out early tomorrow morning and liaise with Klystron in Upington who has been on business there for the last 10 days.
There we will pick up our rental Nissan x Trail and head straight for TR and our very first visit to the Kgaligadi.
We are really looking forward to it and altho it is just a short 4 night stay, we are sure to get some sightings of animals and birds that are new ticks for us. :D
I will be sure to SMS in any sightings when we can.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just had a phone call from Elsa - 39 degrees in TR at this time of the morning already! Thank goodness for air con in the hired vehicle. They arrived yesterday at about 4 p.m. and went for a drive up the Auob - tried to get as far as Houmoed but time was against them. Last night they met up with Sable and had a good chat. Just packing up at TR and they are now on the long drive to Nossob where they stay for the next 2 days. No cell phone signal now for the rest of their trip so we will have to wait for sightings on their return to TR unless the tickey box is working at Mata Mata whilst they are at Urikuruus. Hope they have wonderful sightings and are as blessed as we were on our trip!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Message just in from Elsa:

"Hi - out of the park en route to Upington, sad to leave but not sure our fillings, back or kidneys could take too much more shake, rattle and roll roads. Had a great time. 3 lots of lion and a cheetah sighting today, plenty of other interesting things."

Sounds like they have had a fabulous time but we will now have to wait for them to post their trip report.

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:09 pm 

Well, the time has simply flown and I find myself back home again and our first visit feels like something in a dream. :?
Having only previously visited Kruger and our local reserves we loved all the different aspects of this park, the vastness, the isolation and stillness, the clarity of the night sky and of course seeing lots of "new" animals and birds.
It was great meeting up with Sable and getting to know each other a little better.
I hope to be able to get some of the pics sorted out this weekend and will put my trip report together during the course of the week.
I can also report that great strides are being made in the upgrading of the road leading to the park and TR.
In the few days we were there they had made substantial progress and another good section has been prepared ready for tarring, in the next few days I would predict.
But nonetheless we were certainly very glad that we went with hiring a 4x4 car as I do not think a normal sedan is ideal at all, for the road leading to the park or for driving around inside.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:24 am 

Trip Report Part 1.

Friday 10th November.

Great day had arrived and after 2 flights I landed at Upington Airport, met SO again, collected our Rental Nissan X Trail from the very friendly Budget Lady and into town to the nearest supermarket to stock up with provisions, and plenty of liquids, as I was already nearly melting from the intense heat. Off to the reccommended Skaapland Butchery, and then finally, with great anticipation started the long drive to the park.
Arriving at Twee Rivieren, we were immediately struck by the stark differences to Kruger camps.
KTP have a policy of having to collect and return your entry permit from reception every time you leave the camp, even if only going out for a short drive. I guess it is a way of knowing who is still out on the roads at gate closing time. :wink:

We checked into our chalet, no 12 which was one of the ones that had obviously been newly revovated and were indeed looking very smart and comfortable.
Our first visitor was this little Yellow Mongoose who was just checking if we were perhaps going to offer him a tasty treat.

and then later joined by a feathered friend.

Little Ground Squirrels were very tame and even ventured inside the chalet if given a chance, bushing their tails out in nervousness.
The Whitebrowed Sparrow Weavers, a new tick for me were also very much in evidence all over the camp.

At about 5.30pm we decided to take a short drive up the Aub river road, saw our first Springboks, striped mice and a Korhaan.

As the sun started setting we could hear the KTP famous barking Geckoes starting to call.
Total bliss

Our first Sunset:

Just when I thought I might not get to meet up with Sable, they had been having dinner in the restaurant, her torch light came through the darkness and we sat, chatting away, sharing stories and sightings and watching the millions and millions of stars appear.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:59 pm 

Day 2. 11 November.

We decided not to get going too early so relaxed a bit and enjoyed the sights and sounds of this new world we were in.
Left TR for the long drive up to Nossob at about 9am.
Collected our permit and set off.

First animals seen were 2 Gemsbok, a tortoise and an ostrich at a waterhole. Fascinating as it is not something that we have seen before.

Followed by a plain full of G Squirrels. Springboks, Fork tailed Drongo doing some aerial manoevres and our first Pale Chanting Goshawk.

A little further on we come upon 3 Lions lying sleeping under a tree, well they were but the sun was creeping up on them more and more and soon one had to lazily get up and flop down in the shade. Unfortunately not the best pic. :?

The road for the next 50 kms was really productive, not so much for predators, but just for smaller things that we were seeing for mostly the first time.

This was a very big herd of Springbok sheltering under a tree literally covered in Sociable Weaver nests.

Leeudril waterhole was a hive of activity with all the usual animals plus Secretary Birds, Namaqua doves. dozens of other birds, and even a couple of Lappet faced Vultures slaking their thirst.

A bit further on we saw a BB Jackal trotting through the grass towards a large tree and as he got nearer, something gave him an awful fright, he jumped bckwards, almost running away and then curiosity got the better of him and he cautiously approached the base of the tree sniffing all around and looking upwards.
Well, we were so convinced that there was a Leopard in the tree that my SO thought he could even see its face through the binocs. :wink:
Unfortunately it was a fair distance in from the road and after a thorough searching we came to the conclusion that it was a Giant Eagle Owl. But still not too sure what gave the BBJ such a scare unless his nerves were a just a bit ragged that particular morning. :roll:

Carrying on we continued seeing G/ Boks, Springboks, Wildebeest and Ostriches by the dozens.
Stopped in a Dikbaardskolk for a picnic lunch and enjoyed the tranquility and peacefulness all to ourselves and the little birds who beg for a crumb shamelessly.
W.B sparrow Weavers, Sociable Weavers, and my still to be confirmed Pipit.

A bit further up we started seeing the road on either side literally strewn with Tsama Melons.
At first we couldn't make out where they had come from as there didnt appear to be any sort of plant there that would have produced the fruit. This continued on for at least a good couple of Kms and then they vanished again.
We have since being told that the vines on which they grow had died and dropped the fruit.

Eventually, we arrived at Nossob, shaken but not stirred, and checked into our little chalet no 10C. which was quite nice and close to the hide where we spent a good few hours over the next 2 days.
More later......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:45 pm 

Part 3. Nossob Camp and Hide DAY 2 Cont.

We quickly settled in, lit the braai fire and listened to the night noises starting up. Plenty of barking geckoes here.

and who should appear out of the darkness, as brazen as you like and become a regular visitor. :roll:

After our supper we went and sat at the hide. The BB Jackals were calling in the distance and then competed with 2 Bat Eared Foxes who were gorging themselves on the insects attracted by the spotlights.
A Spotted Dikkop was also buzzing around on the outskirts.
Suddenly a Barn Owl flew into the tree next to the hide, but didn't stay too long.
Our flash then decided to malfunction, putting paid to any decent pics plus the Foxes were dashing around so fast, making life decidedly difficult, so we didn't really get too much that was usable. :x But it was wonderful just to be sitting there enjoying the spectacle and wondering what was to follow.

We were very glad that they don't switch the power off on Saturdays at 11pm as per normal for the rest of the week as the heat was incredibly oppressive and we like to believe that coming from Durban we are kinda accustomed to the heat. :roll:
So at least we had the ceiling fan for one of the 2 nights.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 am 

Day 3. Part 4. Nossob Camp. 12th Nov.

Up early today to be greeted by fairly overcast weather and somewhat cooler. Relief.
At the gate at 5.30am sharp, and we have to wait a whole 5 minutes for the official to open up!! poor guy took quite a ribbing from all waiting there. :lol:
Collected our permits from him, we decided to drive Marie se draai loop.
Despite seeing a lots of various footprints not too much else to be seen other than the occasional Ostrich, Springboks, Wildebeeste and Gemsbok.
We stopped at Marie se gat for coffee and rusks, a lone G/bok is lying down relaxing so clearly no predators nearby.
Onwards and about 200 meters before rejoining the main road we come across our second Lion sighting of the trip, 2 females and a young male plus 3 adorable little cubs.
A few minutes later the one female got up and looked intently into the distance calling softly and there limping badly came another Lioness with a bad wound on the inside of her back leg. She was warmly welcomed back into the group and then they all flopped down and did what Lions do best during the day, went to sleep!!

We sat there with them for about 30 more minutes in the hope that they would be on the move but no such luck, looked as if they would be there for some time.
So we headed back to camp for some breakfast and another visit to the hide.

On ariving back at our chalet I didn't realise that I had a little welcoming committee right behind me. :lol:

They really are very endearing little creatures and are clearly used to being fed.
Very difficult to refuse when they stand up on their hind legs and give you that "we are starving" look.

After breakfast we decided to go and sit in the hide for a while as there is always something interesting to be seen from there.
Just some of the birds seen there.
Crimson Breasted Shrike.

White browed Sparrow Weaver.

Last edited by Elsa on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:35 pm 

Right off we go again.

Still Day 3 Part 5.

Around midday we decided to go for a drive up North, At the first waterhole, Cubitje Quap, don't you just love these names, :wink: we saw the normal BB Jackals, G/Boks and 4 Ostrich, 2 males and 2 females and then a little further on a nice herd of approx 18 W/Beest. Interesting for us as its not something we have seen all that often before, apart from the W/B!!
On arriving at Kwang we find a hive of activity, S/Boks, B.B Jackals again, Sec. Birds, G/Boks and a myriad of different bird species, to name a few, R/Billed Quelea, Scalyfeathered Finches, Sociable Weavers and noisy Black Crows.
We decide to carry on as far as Bedinkt but find nothing much more to get excited about and the weather was starting to really look rather threatening at that stage.

This was a shot taken, albeit through one lens of my sunglasses but hey, that was what I was seeing. :shock:

Stopping off at Kwang again we found the meeting of the annual Secretary Bird convention, at least 18 to 20 of them all congregating.

Plus 1 single Cape Vulture and some more S/Boks.

We decided to take a drive a little way along the public 4x4 road to Mabuasehube as our map had said the first 20 kms was through beautiful dune country and it was not wrong, stunning scenery, but the weather had us a little nervous, as we didnt fancy driving on those roads in the pouring rain.

So back to Nossob and the hide where we were visited by more BBJ's, W/B, S/Boks, a Cape Fox and most probably rhe same Bat eared Foxes.

Ended off the day with a lovely sunset and the storm seemingly dissapating, not sure whether to be glad or not. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:43 pm 

Before we move on away from Nossob a few more pics that I neglected to include.

Pair of ever present B/B Jackals at the water hole.

Another pic of the Bat Eared Foxes busy having supper.

After packing up and getting ready to leave Nossob we discovered that 2 Lions had been seen at the waterhole earlier that morning, and we had missed seeing them. :wall:
But I guess that is how it goes, you win some, you lose some. :roll:

Anyway we took a stroll around the camp, had a look at the pool, (will post some pics in the Nossob pool thread later.)
Then waved goodbye to a lovely little camp.

Last edited by Elsa on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:08 pm 

Mon 13th Nov. En route to Urikaruus.

After leaving Nossob, we drove around Marie se Draai again in case our Lions of the day before were still in evidence but nada, I'm afraid, so after a quick stop at die Gat where a Gemsbok was doing a good mirror image of looking just like the signpost. :lol:

Heading for Dikbaardskolk we didn't see anything too different from the usual animals. Plenty of little birds flitting here and there and our one and only unidentified snake which slithered away in great haste.
One little ground squirrel having breakfast on a fallen Tsama melon.

After refreshing ourselves with a snack and something to drink at the picnic stop we turned up onto the Top Dune Road.
I had no idea what to expect and was really quite blown away by the difference in the road surface and of course the scenery.
More or less a dead straight rolling road, not unlike a gentle roller coaster ride with the white calc crete road a pretty shade of pink from the blowing sand dunes. :D
Animals seen were Steenboks x2, G/boks, Springboks, Ostrich, a Black Korhaan, PC Goshawks x 3 and then at the pans at
Morevet Water Hole what looked like Black headed Herons on the top of the concrete water resevoir??
A bit far away for any good pics but we will see what can be done with a bit of enhancing and post the pic on the weekend.

The last 10 or so Kms of the road became so badly corrugated in places that we had to creep along at a snails pace in order not to break the car, and even so was very suprized not to have done some damage... :shock:

As the road joins into the Mata Mata road, there were huge herds of Wildebeeste, S/Boks were grazing.

This chap was sensible and taking it easy in the shade of a bush.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm 

Mon. 13th Urikaruus.

On arriving at Urikaruus we were immediately struck by the unique design and privacy of this special little wilderness camp and those who have stayed here will know exactly what I mean.
We were given #1 and the only other visitor was at the other end in #4, so it was almost like having the entire camp to ourselves.

A few pics of the camp, the bedroom area is upstairs to the left and the door on the right leads to the living area.

This is the view looking from the kitchen area out towards the deck and waterhole. The front walls are made of canvas and rolled up.

It was wonderful to just sit and watch the passing parade of animals and birds, and I didn't budge. Must admit those wooden chairs do get a little hard on the rear end after a few hours but nothing that a pillow didn't sort out.

A big herd of Springbok drinking from "our" waterhole.

This CB Shrike was foraging around continuously for nesting material.

We were very taken with the way the little G. Squirrels use their tails as a parasol to shield themselves from the hot sun.

Then this curious Y. Mongoose wondered if it was worth hanging around for supper.

And then the sun started going down and what a display.......

More to come. :wink: [/img]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:11 pm 

Still at Urikaruus..

Sitting out on our little deck, with glass in hand, feeling like we were the only people in the world and watching the sky change from blue to yellow to gold and then to a fiery red. This had to be one of the best sunsets I had ever seen.

It was wonderful to hear all the night sounds so clearly through the thin canvas wall and in the early hours of the morning we heard the distinctive sound and call of a Leopard prowling around the camp. Despite shining our spotlight around we just could not pick it up.
In the morning there were the paw prints and it seemed "our" Leopard had had a drink at his favourite place, the bird bath in front of the supervisors tent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 pm 

Final day.

We reluctantly left Urikaruus at 9am having so enjoyed the tranquility and view from the deck.
We decided to head off up to Mata Mata first, to have a look at each of the camps en route and delay our departure from KTP for as long as possible.
Not far from Urikaruus we came across a big herd of 18 Giraffe with some young, browsing and ambling slowly along the road.
Sat with them for some time.
One youngster having a bit of breakfast.

Sunning itself nearby was this very colourful little chap.

At the Dertiende Boorgat we found the sad sight of poor old skeletal looking Lioness who was clearly very weak. :(
She was eyeing this Tortoise longingly and hungrily.

Carried on up to KTC, had a quick look around, liked what we saw, and have it ear marked for our next trip, then on to MM.
The heat was almost unbearable at this point and apart from having something cold to drink, we didnt stay long.
We were told that there was a young Cheetah in the Dalkeith vicinity that had been making unsuccessful attempts at taking down a Springbok, so we made tracks for there with all due haste.
Sure enough, under a tree panting from the heat and exertion lay this lovely Cheetah.

As time was marching up on us we had to leave and carry on down towards TR.

Some more Giraffe, this one having a siesta under a tree.

Then a tree wearing a Sociable Weaver "glove"

Spotted Dikkop or Thick- knee also feeling the heat.

Believe it or not our last animals seen were 2 Female Red hartebeeste with a calf each. :wink:
Not sure what has happened to my pics, will find them and post a bit later.

Eventually and reluctantly we arrived at TR, the 5 days having flown past so quickly, signed out and took our leave.

After arrivng back in Upington, checking into our Hotel we treated ourselves to a lovely dinner at the Le Must Restaurant as compensation.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:06 pm 

The conclusion.

Thought I had best get this done just before our next trip to Kruger in a week's time. :wink:

As promised, after long debates and guesses on what we thought would be our last animal seen before departing, how surprising to come across 4 Red hartebeest, 2 cows and 2 calves just before TR.

They seemed very nervous and kept on running across the plains, making photos fairly difficult.

So all in all, for us a very good introduction to a park that is so starkly different to Kruger.
We did not encounter any problems that detracted at all from
our overall enjoyment.
The revamped chalets at TR have all been very nicely done up and are very comfortable.
Altho our air con wasn't working when we arrived, it was soon repaired after bringing it to their notice.
We liked the Entry Permit, which is also a safety and payment control measure, one is issued with on arrival and especially the fact that all the rules and regulations, with the relevent fines are printed on the back of it and then signed after acknowledging and agreeing to them.
I am not sure what the procedure is with our overseas visitors who might not be so versed in the English language.
One is also always required to collect this permit from reception before going off on any drives and then returning it afterwards.
We were stopped once by a police officer who asked to check our permit.
As the park was fairly quiet during our time there, we did not encounter any real problems with speeding.
For me, the corrugations in the roads,did get somewhat tiresome after long spells of driving, but my SO who is more used to dirt roads did not find them too bad.
I must also add that the 4x4 we hired, altho a perfect car for the terrain had obviously had a rough life and had developed many rattles and squeaks, including one where the airbag sounded as if it was about to erupt from under the dashboard right in front of my face at any moment. :shock:

Nossob.

We really enjoyed this more rustic style camp with its hide overlooking the water hole.
We did not get to use the swimming pool but did amble up to have a look at it, and well might have had we stayed any longer.
We did find the hours from 11pm to 5am when they switch off the electricity, and therefore the ceiling fan rather stifling especially during the hot Summer months.

Urikaruus.

Possibly the only complaint I might have is that the hard wooden chairs out on the decks have some cushions supplied as they do tend to get a bit hard on the old "rear end" after a few hours. Otherwise
Nothing further to add except :D :D :D :clap:

Kgaligadi, thank you and we will be back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]