Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 42
 [ 620 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Cricket@Skukuza : 2007 : KNP vs KTP vs Forum - the planning
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Has anyone ever played cricket at Skukuza ?
My son is going up on the weekend of 4th Nov with a team to play at Skukuza. They play against a staff/rangers team from Kruger and I've heard it happens every year. I can't join them as i'm too busy at work :evil: but it would be nice to find out if anyone else has played there before.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Snoobab,
I was fortunate enough to play there every year from 1988 to 1997. ( with Ok Bazaars). In those days the rangers played a game most weekends against various company teams and such like. We had a great time, although as we mostly played in Feb/ March it was very hot and humid.
The pitch is at the sports ground in the Rangers village and has a lovely pavilion and braai area.
I remember my first game there, we had only been in SA for a couple of years and this was our first real visit to the park. I was fielding on the boundary and it was great until someone hit a boundary into the long grass by the practice nets. I've got to say I wasn't too keen to venture into the grass the get the ball!
Later that evening we had a braai with the Rangers and lions were hunting on the golf course, which was visible from the patio in those days.
Your son is very fortunate, he will get to meet and chat to many of the rangers and their families.
What geat memories, I could go on and on!!!!

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:34 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the info DaveenJan.
I would loved to have gone with. I will pass onto my son what you said, he can't wait to get there but as you said it is not only the cricket but meeting the staff/rangers.

Post subject: SCC
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi DavenJan and Snoobab

Fascinated to see that the village I live in is for rangers only, especially seeing I'm not a ranger. :wink: :) 8)

The cricket field in the Skukuza Staff Village has hosted some interesting games over the years. Every year (except 2006 because of a logistics problem) the cricket club here hosts a Cricket Clinic for all the local schools.
We get a number of the top cricketers to come and help with the clinic in the morning - Ntini, Crooks, Nel, de Villiers etc regularly come - and then all the names are thrown into a hat together with those from the Skukuza Cricket Club and team "A" and "B" are formed and play against each other.
It used to be South Africa Invitation vs Skukuza Cricket Club (with pride, we call it the SCC!) but then four years ago Justin Kemp knocked a ball right over the boundary, over a line of houses and splash into the N'waswitshaka River so we didn't think it was a good idea. No one volunteered to go and get the ball - for some reason - :shock: :lol:
Last year it was fun watching someone like Don English padding up to Andre Nel and actually knocking a couple of runs off him too. I think he was eventually caught behind. Andre, incidentally, loves the park (as do the rest of the guys) and normally comes down early and stays on after the clinic.
Another highlight was when Derek Crooks got hold of the PA and started giving match commentary. While he was busy pulling AB's leg, a few warthogs ambled onto the field so Derek said:
"And now the replacement fielders go onto the field and take up the Silly Mid On position."
As you can see, the actual game isn't very serious (unless you facing Andre Nel or Makhaya Ntini). :lol:
We hope to host it next year again.

The cricket club is also used extensively by Skukuza Primary School which has an active cricket team and which is part of the local Lowveld primary school cricket league. Earlier this year a mixed team from Devon County in the UK came and played against a Lowveld invitation team (that included Skukuza players) in Skukuza. If anyone belongs to a cricket club and wants to take on the "MIGHT" of the SCC 8) , please give Frikkie Rossouw a shout (013 735 5109) and I am sure we can arrange a clash.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the interesting info KNP Spokesman.
I'm not too sure who put the team together that my son is playing in (his dads friend I think had something to do with it - Pirates Club JHB) all I know is my son can't wait and i'm sure they are going to have as much fun as you indicated in your post. Good luck to all playing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Let me know if you need an umpire.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Put me down as a spectator :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

could we set up a webcam so those of us living so far away could watch the match.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
fannymays wrote:
could we set up a webcam so those of us living so far away could watch the match.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know if any of the teams need a good allrounder. I can drink all the rounds you buy me. :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think I could hit you for six! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though- I'm in!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Jannie wrote:
Wildtuinman,

Due to the fact that I will be in Europe for the next month why don’t you see if you could get the KNP Spokesman to arrange a Cricket match? I would propose three teams and they are Kruger, Kgalagadi and a Forumite team.

Then we could get Danie or ADMIN to be our commentators.

Jannie, that sounds like a plan! Dianne could also do the commentating... the old big mouth! :twisted: :lol:

I will take this on with our "Friend" from Skukuza villiage.

Do you guys have a full team, Jannie? What month would suit you guys?

We can have something like a small tri-team tournament over a weekend. 30 overs a side even...

Im sure it won't take too much to get a forum team going... :wink:

KNPSM... Get to the nets solong... and rub some "vet" on those short ribs. :twisted: :twisted:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Now we're talking. Count me in. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next