Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Birding in KNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
In Octber 2005 Wildtuinman quoted text from "Owl" who, in his article offered owl informantion in the Olifants Camp. How do I get into contact with Owl to take him up on his offer? See "quote"

Quote:
Owl wrote:
With all the night drives and game walks, if you request tell the guide you have a passion for owls, they will try and oblige, and on the walks, some of the guides may know of daytime roosts.

On a night drive at Olifants the other day, we got the 2 park eagle-owls (spotted and Verreaux's [Giant]) and 3 nightjars (Fiery-necked, Square-tailed [Mozambique] and European).

However sometimes it is most rewarding to do a bit of nighttime reconnaisance in a camp, with a decent spotlight and as long as your not going to over do it and distress the birds, a sound recording. I've got 5 owls (verreaux's eagle, barred, barn, pearl-spotted and scops) and 2 nightjars (moz and f-n on a single night in Letaba before, while we found a European N roosting in a tree next to the shop there the other day (they perch horizontally along the branch). If you want more details of where each species tends to be seen in the camp let me know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Johann and welcome!

Your best way to contact Owl directly would be to go back to his post that you are quoting and click on the PM button, to send him a PM (private message) with your request.

Post subject: Re: Owls in Olifants - info volunteered
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
How do I get into contact with Owl to take him up on his offer?

If you can't find the post anymore, click on his profile to send a PM, Johan.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:11 pm 

In Octber 2005 Wildtuinman quoted text from "Owl" who, in his article offered owl informantion in the Olifants Camp. How do I get into contact with Owl to take him up on his offer? See "quote"

Quote:
Owl wrote: on a single night in Letaba before, while we found a European N roosting in a tree next to the shop there the other day (they perch horizontally along the branch). If you want more details of where each species tends to be seen in the camp let me know.

The famous Letaba European Nightjar roosts in the same open tree right next to the road next to the shop in Letaba only in Summer but he could be there already as mentioned The camping area is full of Scops Owls and its great going to sleep with their chirrup sounds throughout the night.

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Birds In Northern Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:10 pm 

I am going up to stay at punda maria at the end of this month and was just wondering if anyone has recently been up there on a birding trip. If so, it would be great to find out what specials were seen. :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi batman and welcome. I haven't been up north lately but too the best of my knowledge no raraties or vagrants have been mentioned on the bird nets that I follow (but you never know what can turn up). You will be going at a good time as the majority of migrants will have returned. Your best bet is to take a trip to Pafuri picnic and have a chat to Frank. He will no doubt be able to help you with a few nice ticks. Good luck and enjoy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:51 pm 

Lay in the sun next to the pool last year sucking on a cold beer....and in a low bush next to a pool we had Sombre, Terrestrial, Yellow Bellied and Black Eyed Bulbul all sitting within 70 cm of one another, watching me....!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@Aquilla. Sipping how many cold beers?!!!

No really, I do believe you. Really do. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I was in Punda last year June... So I can't really help you alot.

I can however direct you to good birding areas. The hide inside Punda has proved good for me. Have seen grey-headed parrots from here.

The Mahonie loop produced Trumpeter hornbill and for the fortunate ones, or shall I say believers, crested guinefowl. I unfortunately have dipped on these birds numerous times.

Narina Trogon, also a dipped species for me can be seen on the loop too, especially near Witsand waterhole and Matukwale dam. I think there used to be a breeding pair at the latter dam if I can recall correctly.

Pafuri is always good. The picnic spot could even prove more valuable if you call in the help of Frank(the man with the yellow ribbon around his bins :lol: )

I tend to take a veeeeeeeeeeeeery slow drive on these roads around Pafuri and on the Nyala loop. If you look here, you will notice that Nic Squires often report sightings from this area. Maybe it can help you to find what you looking for.

Just a tip, now is a good time to go do the Nyala trail too. Many migratory birds have returned to the Northern outskirts of Kruger and October is not too hot.

Kind regards
W™

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am 
Guru
Guru

wildtuinman wrote:
I was in Punda last year June... So I can't really help you alot.

I unfortunately have dipped on these birds numerous times.

Narina Trogon, also a dipped species for me can be seen on the loop too, especially near Witsand waterhole and Matukwale dam.
Kind regards
W?

WTM

Don't you dare "dip" our birds (as per "dip 'n ouma" or dip in the face with a knuckle sandwich).

:P :D :D

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Last edited by KNP Spokesman on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

gwendolen wrote:
How do I get into contact with Owl to take him up on his offer?

If you can't find the post anymore, click on his profile to send a PM, Johan.

Hi Johan

Seriously speaking (don't worry too much about the banter between myself and WTM, we are old friends), when you are in the Park, you can request any of the guides to show you Owls when you go on night drives and such and they'll do their best to find something for you.

Although guides definitely do have specialities, most of them are trained in everything (birds, trees, mammals etc) so they should be able to get what you want. Alternatively, ask to speak to one of the guides at camp reception.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:54 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
KNP Spokesman wrote:
Seriously speaking (don't worry too much about the banter between myself and WTM, we are old friends)

Who's the "Old" one here, hey? :twisted: :twisted: Speak for yourself! :P

Yeah, KNPSM always mocks me. He enjoyed it particulary on a morning walk most recently. But I have to say, it's like water from a white-faced whistling duck's back wearing a wetsuit on a hot Oktober afternoon for me. :lol:

Maybe ask KNPSM to join you Johan, the oke is not bad with his birds at all! He is quite some help. He knows his stuff... :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
KNP Spokesman wrote:

WTM

Don't you dare "dip" our birds (as per "dip 'n ouma" or dip in the face with a knuckle sandwich).

:P :D :D

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

:lol: :lol: Ou grapgat! :lol: :lol:

Besides, I only dip birds which don't sit on Pel's fishing owl branches. :lol: :lol:

Wa's jou koene? :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
My trip to the KNP has come and gone before the suggestion was posted that I hook up with KNPSM (seeing that he is touted as a worthwhile source on KNP birding). I have made a note to do just that during my next visit... Obviously I will ask permission first. I mean, a stranger just does not pitch on one's porch with a "waa's die voël"-request!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Obviously I will ask permission first. I mean, a stranger just does not pitch on one's porch with a "waa's die voël"-request!

Just remember to ask him: "Waa's jou koene?" :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next