SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 9 of 11 [ 153 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Bird ID Challenges: 2008 - 2009

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 am Unread post
Seems to be a very easy quiz this on with 14 entries and an average score of 89% and 8.8/10.

There were ony two tough ones that will be explained in detail:

#1 Palewinged Starling (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#2 Intermediate Egret (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#3 (Small) Kurrichane Buttonquail (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#4 Karoo Prinia (12) - Almost all had this right – no explanation needed
#5 Lizard Buzzard (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#6 Fierynecked Nightjar (6)– Thisas expected was a tough one. The two nightjars that the choice can be narrowed down to is Fiery-necked and Rufous-cheeked based on the rufous collar that extends to the front of the neck. On the photo the distinct fine barring on the chest and belly is also visible and lastly the white spotting on the primary feathers is smaller and more rounded to the leading edge of the wing.
#7 Yellow Bishop moult (6)– The yellow crowned bishop has a striped head durig the transition, and White-winged Widowbird’s bill becomes bluish. This species already has the full dark crown and the start of black in the beak can be seen.
#8 Pririt Batis (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#9 White-crowned Lapwing (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed
#10 Verreaux’s Eagle (14) – all had this right – no explanation needed

Read more about:

1. Pale-winged Starling
2. Intermediate Egret unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
3. Kurrichane Buttonquail
4. Karoo Prinia
5. Lizard Buzzard
6. Fiery-necked Nightjar
7. Yellow Bishop
8. Pririt Batis
9. White-crowned Lapwing
10. Verreaux's Eagle
Last post

Re: Bird ID Challenge.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:04 pm Unread post
Happy Birthday To the Challenge!

This week we have another special theme edition as our birthday challenge. This edition is dedicated to Wildtuinman and Johan van Rensburg who started the challenge. The reality is that the challenge is actually more than a year old, as it started with single pictures to allow for the less experienced birders to ID them, and all the experts were banned. This evolved into the challenges we have now, which I believe caters for all from beginners to the experts.

When I started with the challenges as a participant one of my weakest areas were the raptors and specifically the smaller ones. Through the challenges I today, just one year later, am much more confident in my IDs of them.

Thus this week there are 12 birds to ID, but it is an easier challenge as you only need to use one section of your books :twisted:

Challenge 52: Rapturous Raptors

# 1
Larger Image

# 2
Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

UNFORTUNATELY PICTURES 4, 5 AND 10 ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE.

Larger Image

Now please note that due to my dedication to this challenge I will be spending the next week in Kruger gathering new horrible photos :twisted: Thus answers may be slow or not at all depending on how well 3gee works. If there is none at all I will send scores on Sunday and Monday next week.

Virtual Ranger
Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am Unread post
Results for Challenge #51:

Morning all!

This week saw a significant drop in participation, so we only managed a delayed total of 10 entries…? :( Hopefully this will improve now that the future of the ID Challenge has been secured thanks to JenB!!! :clap:

The total number of entries was only 10), and the class averaged a very good 8.33/10, or 83.33 %. The answers:

#1 – Red-winged Starling (10/10): I was "hoping" the pollen-covered face and slightly hidden red wings would confuse at least some of you, but you’re all too good! Well done. The GISS and the red primaries make it unmistakeable.

#2 – Yellow-breasted Apalis (f) (10/10): Red eye with red eye-ring, grey face with greenish crown, yellow breast and white throat and underparts made it easy. No black band across lower chest means it’s a female.

#3 – Cape Crow(10/10): Again I was wondering if the pose would confuse some with the GISS, but you’re all to good for my poor attempt at trickery! Overall black, long black legs and big, sharp black bill.

#4 – Pied Starling (9/10): Chocolate brown body with white vent made it unmistakeable. It’s very distinctly pale eye is not visible here, which at least threw one contestant to consider a juvenile Oxpecker, but these don’t have that distinct and contrasting white vent. The long legs are also fairly uniquely Starling…

#5 – Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk (juv) (6/10): The most difficult for the week, yet you did a good job with it! The GISS with those bare, long legs are uniquely Goshawk. It could only be juvenile Pale or Dark Chanting, but with Pale’s breast more streaked than Dark’s.

#6 – Marsh Owl (10/10): Jeepers!!! Well done to all!!! I thought this would get at least some of you guys, so very well done to all. No need for an explanation it seems!? The GISS makes it an owl, the undering pattern unique to Marsh. A valid point to also consider (but only as a general rule-of-thumb) is the fact that Marsh Owl is the only one of the possible confusing owls that you expect to see during daylight.

#7 – Martial Eagle (juv) (8/10): Grey above, white below. Dark eye, greenish white cere and feet diagnostic (Crowned (juv) and pale form of Wahlberg’s have yellow feet).

#8 – Red-winged Francolin (7/10): Could only be this or the Grey-winged Francolin. The former has a small whitish throat patch with a rufous border, whereas the latter has a big greyish throat patch edged with black speckling. So the Red-winged effectively has two rufous bands on the neck.

#9 – Black-crowned Tchagra (8/10): The black crown with white bands, and black eye-stripe is diagnostic.

#10 – Drakensberg Prinia (7/10): As expected it was confused by some as it’s closely related brother, the Karoo Prinia (in fact a fairly recent split). The overall tawny coloration with fine black breast streaking is diagnostic (Karoo has greyish white underparts with heavier black streaking – almost mottled)

Well done to all!

Read more about:

1. Red-winged Starling
2. Yellow-breasted Apalis
3. Cape Crow unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
4. Pied Starling
5. Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk
6. Marsh Owl
7. Martial Eagle
8. Red-winged Francolin
9. Black-crowned Tchagra
10. Drakensberg Prinia

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 am Unread post
Bird ID Challenge # 53
Please enjoy! I'm keeping it sweet and short for my first one!

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Remember to submit your answers to the one that posted the week’s challenge!

Good luck!

LG

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:14 am Unread post
Wow, Nicce challenge Lizet! :thumbs_up:

Herewith the Answers to no 52:

Participation was much improved with 18 entries. Average score was 10/12, with 9 full scores.

1 Cuckoo Hawk – (15) Grey head and the thick bars on the chest are the key id features.
2 White-backed Vulture (17) The two features that distinguishes this from Cape Vulture is firstly that this nest is on a tree and not a cliff face and this bird has a dark eye.
3 Pale Chanting Goshawk (15) – First impression is clearly that of a Chanting Goshawk. The easiest ID feature to narrow down to Pale Chanting is the pure white rump.
4 Booted Eagle (13) This one caught many as it is on a nest many thought that it is a juvenile. The parents also return to the nest. The white leggings yellow legs and cere and pale markings on the wings indicate Booted eagle. This is probably the pale form as the brown eye and ear patch is very noticeable.
5 Black-shouldered Kite (15) – Pale grey body and upper wings, with black shoulders and distinct yellow feet.
6 Black Harrier (13) – Many called this a Melanistic Gabar Goshawk. The hint of feet visible on this one is yellow and not red, which eliminates the Goshawk. The GISS (General Impression, Shape and Size) of the head is also more typical of a harrier the wing pattern with the white central wing and black edge is distinctly Black Harrier
7 Bearded Vulture (17) – Vulture like appearance and the red eye ring should make this an easy ID
8 Juv Lanner Falcon (14)- Bright yellow feet and that distinct pale cap on the head, with brown back and upper wings.
8a Pale chanting Goshawk (16) – Pale inner wings and again that distinct white rump. And yes it was a bit nasty to have two of them in the same challenge
9 Cape Eagle Owl (18)- All had this one right – Orange eyes are they key.
10 Bat Hawk (14)- upright hunched sitting position and big yellow eye is indicative. The white belly indicates that this is a young bird.
11 Yellowbilled Kite (17) Full yellow bill and the greyish head.

Read more about:

1. African Cuckoo Hawk
2. White-backed Vulture
3. Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk
4. Booted Eagle
5. Black-shouldered Kite
6. Black Harrier
7. Bearded Vulture
8. Lanner Falcon and Southern Pale Chanting Goshawk
9. Cape Eagle Owl unfortunately not on the Bird Index Yet.
10. Bat Hawk
11. Yellow-billed Kite

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am Unread post
Bird ID Challenge # 54
For those who still want to take part in challenge #53, I'll be posting the answers on Monday. I will be doing this weeks challenge as well. Have a good one!

Large Image

Large Image

Large Image

Larger Image

Large Image

Large Image

Remember to submit your answers to the one that posted the weeks challange

LG

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 am Unread post
Challenge # 53 - Answers

We had 23 participants with two full marks. From all except the Martin I've added a new pic from another angle to show the features better.

#1 – Gray’s Lark(11/23) : One of the smaller larks found on desert gravel plains as visible in the photo. Sits very low on the legs, almost as if crouching. Has a strong pale bill, white underparts and very pale unstreaked upperparts.

#2 – Emerald-spotted Wood-dove(18/23): The green spots shine only metallic emerald in very good light, but it also has bigger spots than Blue-spotted WD, and an all dark bill. Lacks the white underparts and white eyebrow of the Tambourine dove.

#3 – European Honey-Buzzard (6/23): It was the most difficult one for most people. A Slender raptor with a bright yellow eye, long barred tail (note the broad white and then faint black bar across the last third of the tail) and small dove-like head with a small bill. The bare yellow tibias are a clue that it's not an Eagle. This individual must be a subadult as the adult normally has a grey cere and yellow eye while younger birds have a yellow cere and dark eye. Found in wooded areas. The next photo is that of a typical pale form adult with the grey cere and yellow eye.

#4 – Green-backed Woodpecker (16/23): A small woodpecker with a short bill. Differs from the small Cardinal by having a spotted green back, no moustach, and spotted underparts. Male has a full red crown - I've decided not to judge on sex with this one as the red crown wasn't very clear on the previous pic.

#5 - Mascarene Martin(14/23): The broad tapered wings, and tail shape is typical for a Martin. It’s the only Martin in our region with white under parts and heavy streaking on the belly and flanks. A very rare Winter visitor to Mozambique, unfortunately no better pics to show.

#6 – Bearded Scrub-Robin (13/23): The main feature that distinguishes Bearded from all the other Scrub-Robins is the light rufous on the flanks. Rufous on the rump is restricted and doesn’t extend as far as the upper tail coverts and tail. Has a white eyebrow like all the others but differs by having a very clear and broad black border stripe above the white eyebrow

Wow, what a mouth full! Thanks and well done everybody!
LG

Read more about:

1. Gray's lark unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
2. Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove
3. European Honey-Buzzard
4. Green-backed Woodpecker unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
5. Mascarene Martin unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
6. Bearded Scrub-Robin

Virtual Ranger
Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:22 am Unread post
Bird ID Challenge #55:

After Lizet threw you all in the deep end ( :twisted: ), here’s a bit of respite with the next challenge:

# 1:
Larger Image

# 2:
Larger Image

# 3:
Larger Image

# 4:
Larger Image

# 5:
Larger Image

# 6:
Larger Image

# 7:
Larger Image

# 8:
Larger Image

# 9:
Larger Image

# 10:
Larger Image

Remember to send your answers to the person that posted the challenge!

Good luck!

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 am Unread post
Challenge #54 - Answers
We had 21 participants this week with 6 full marks!

#1 – Lesser Seedcracker(19/21 ): Chunky brown finch with an all red tail and bright red face which extents onto the chest. Also has a very heavy black bill. Uncommon and found in dense thickets and Miombo woodland

#2 – Booted Eagle –pale form (19/21 ): The fully feathered legs are the clue that it’s an Eagle. The most obvious feature when on the wing, is the white “landing lights” on the leading edge of the wing where it meets the body. A small brown eagle. Pale form has a large contrast between the light under parts with an amount of streaking on the chest and darker flight feathers. Has an all dark-brown head, and white throat when seen at a good angle.

#3 – Violet-backed Sunbird Female (8/21 ): This was the difficult one for most. a Sunbird with greyish-brown upperparts and white under parts with a light sheen of yellow. Distinguish from other females by having a short beak, white eyebrow and metallic violet blue rump and tail. Builds an oval nest from dead leaves, also found in Miombo woodland.

#4 – Cuckoo finch (15/21 ): Stubby finch which can be confused with a weaver but has a very heavy black bill and shorter tail.

#5 – Barred Wren-warbler (18/21 ): Main features to distinguish from Stierling’s is by having Buff under parts with brownish not well defined bars – Stierling’s has white under parts with clean black bars. The breeding male also has a brown wash on the upper chest, which Stierling’s doesn’t have. Barred occur in dry savanna / acacia while Stierling’s occur in broadleaved / miombo woodland. Barred has browner eyes and legs but this is not a very good field character. See example of Stierling's at this Link

#6 – Terek Sandpiper (20/21 ): The easiest one of all. a Medium sized wader with brownish upperparts and a dark shoulder patch. Has very distinct bright orange legs and a long up curved bill with an orange base.

Well done everybody!
Lizet

Read more about:

1. Lesser Seedcracker unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
2. Booted Eagle
3. Western Violet-backed Sunbird unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
4. Cuckoo Finch
5. Barred Wren-Babbler unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
6. Terek Sandpiper unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 am Unread post
Ah....ha! Thought you guys an' gals were on holiday, did you? :twisted:
Rightio...... herewith your next challenge!

Challenge #56

Large view

Large view

Large view

Large view

Large view

Large view

Please PM your answers to me. :thumbs_up:
The answers will be up next Monday..... 'k with ya all?

Virtual Ranger
Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:40 pm Unread post
Results for Challenge #55:

I honestly thought I was throwing an easier one at you this week! Seems I was wrong…! The total number of entries only totalled 15, with the class averaging 57.33 %, or 5.73/10. The answers:

#1 – Cardinal Woodpecker (f) (11/15): Quite easy to identify by the full black crown along with a heavily streaked chest. Some called it a Bearded Woodpecker (f), but she has a spotted fore-crown and more importantly a barred chest.

#2 – Green-capped Eremomela (13/15): Greenish face and head, white throat patch with yellow neck and chest, white / light belly.

#3 – Shelley’s Francolin (13/15): Could only be confused with Orange River Francolin, but the barred belly is diagnostic.

#4 – Drakensberg Prinia (4/15): A lot of you fell for my trickery and thought it was a Tawny-flanked Prinia. But the overall colouration is tawny, not just the flanks. There is also a hint of streaking on the barely-visible chest.

#5 – Marico Sunbird (f) (7/15): The streaked, yellowish underparts narrowed it down to only this or the similar Purple-banded Sunbird, but the long bill eliminates the latter.

#6 – Ashy Tit (8/15): This was always going to be tricky, especially as I was sneaky to use a pic taken early-morning, making the colours much warmer than they actually are. The key lies in the distinct white markings in the wings. Furthermore the underparts are darkish grey.

#7 – Fawn-coloured Lark (2/15): Relatively small bill, white eyebrow and below eye (eliminating Montonous Lark), white underparts and dark streaked primaries. The GISS as it is perched is also typical (horizontal with head somewhat drawn in).

#8 – Spike-heeled Lark (10/15): Look at that straight hind toenail!!! Additionally the rufous belly and relatively short white-tipped tail diagnostic.

#9 – Red-throated Wryneck (9/15): Above mottled grey and black, distinct black median stripe from crown to rump diagnostic.

#10 – Black-chested Prinia (n-br) (9/15): The white throat patch with yellow underparts are diagnostic at all times. Lack of black chest band point to this being non-breeding plumage.

Read more about:

1. Cardinal Woodpecker
2. Green-capped Eremomela unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
3. Shelley's Francolin
4. Drakensberg Prinia
5. Marico Sunbird
6. Ashy Tit
7. Fawn-coloured Lark
8. Spike-heeled Lark
9. Red-throated Wryneck
10.Black-chested Prinia

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 pm Unread post
I'm posting the challenge a bit earlier as I will be giving the answers next week Friday (11 Sept) afternoon, since I'll be out of town from Saterday.

Challenge #57
Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Remember to PM me with your answers, and you have time till next Friday, say around 15h00.

Good luck!
Lizet

Last edited by Lizet Grobbelaar on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:09 am Unread post
Results for Challenge #56:
We've had 16 participants with an average score of 78% (4.68/6). This in fact was not a brand new challenge but one of the first ones posted by JvR although I don't think that has got anything to do with the class average, I think it was quite new to all of you. :wink:
Very well done to everyone! :thumbs_up:

#1 – Leveillant’s cisticola 8/16.
(Incorrect ID's: Rattling Cisticola, Neddicky,Rufous-winged Cisticola, wailing cisticola)
This is one of the more "colourful" member of the cisticola family but can be confused with the Blackbacked Cisticola which is very similar. The combination of black back feathers and russet crown is diagnostic.

#2 – Saddle-billed storks, juv 14/16.
(Incorrect ID: Abdim’s Stork)
Notice the saddles starting to take shape. :wink:

#3 - Eastern olive sunbird. 9/16.
(Incorrect ID's: Southern Double-collared, Orange-breasted, Malachite, Yellow bellied, Greater double collard.)
Note the massive bill, hint of rusty upper breast and throat, long dull tail.

#4 - Cape Teal. 16/16
:clap:

#5 - Terrestrial brownbul 13/16
(Incorrect ID's: Familiar Chat, African Dusky Flycatcher.)
Drab in colour apart from white throat. Typical bulbul giss.

#6 - Black-crowned nightheron 15/16
:thumbs_up:

Read more about:

1. Levaillant's Cisticola
2. Saddle-billed Stork
3. Eastern Olive Sunbird
4. Cape Teal
5. Terrestrial Brownbul
6. Black-crowned Night-Heron

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 am Unread post
Sjoe, It feels very long ago that i posted a challenge!

hope i have the number right :?

Challenge 58

# 2
Larger Image

Larger Image

Larger Image

Cheers and have fun

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:09 pm Unread post
Bird ID Challenge # 57 – answers :

#1 – Carp’s Tit Female(5/10): She has a brown face with black under parts, and black undertail coverts (not visible here). The median, tertials en inner secondaries on the folded wings are white, forming a solid white broad stripe across the wing. Southern Black Tit females has dark grey head and underparts never as dark as the Carp’s female, less white on the wing and barred undertail coverts. Southern Black tits from Zimbabwe and Mozambique can have more white on the wing but the female are always the paler grey on the belly and face.

#2 – Olive-headed Weaver Male(9/10): The name actually refers to the female. The male has a golden crown with olive cheeks. The yellow underparts from the breast up to the throat has a dark orange-brown patch, and the back is dark. It’s the only weaver in Southern Africa that builds its nest from live usnea lichin.
Female Image

#3 – Damara Tern (6/10): a Very small tern with pale grey upperparts and white underparts. In breeding plumage the whole crown becomes black and the legs yellow. The bill are totally black.

#4 – Olive Bush-shrike female (2/10): The hooked bill points to a Shrike and the olive upperparts tell us that this is a Bush-shrike. This is the olive morph with the olive on the head, back and tail, and no white on the face. The under parts are uniformly light yellow. The juv. Bokmakierie will have a hint of a breast band (buff on chin and throat), with more grey on the head and throat.

#5 – Pririt Batis male (6/10): Differs from Chinspot Batis by having dark to grey markings on the flanks.

#6 –Montagu’s Harrier (2/10): a Slender Raptor with overall blue-grey upperparts and longish tail. Has black on the primaries and a single black bar on the upper secondries are a very distinct field character – and can be used to ID this one from behind. The under parts (when visible) are white with rufous streaking on the belly and flanks. The eyes and bare legs are yellow

Read more about:

1. Carp's Tit unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
2. Olive-headed Weaver unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
3. Damara Tern unfortunately not on the Bird Index yet.
4. Olive Bush-Shrike
5. Pririt Batis
6. Montagu's Harrier

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11 [ 153 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic