Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: driving times advice?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:53 am 

our first night is in TW in the park, so we still have to drive there too.

With TW I think you mean TR?
Are you staying on the campsite or in a chalet? If you stay on the campsite I have another tip for you:
We had a reservation in TR on the campsite with electricity (for batteries of photo, film, etc etc.). So, at the end of the day (we came from Nossob) we arrived at TR. Again we had a problem, because there wasn’t any campsite with electricity left. The people at the reception they told us: “If you were earlier you would have a place with electricity. I think someone else who didn’t made a reservation with elec., is standing now on your place”
So we asked: “Why do people have to make a reservation with or without elec.?”
They could not give us an answer to that question and said that we had to go to the manager.
“OK, let’s talk to the manager”.
But the manager was not there.
So it was getting to start darker en we had to stay on a place with no elec. And than we woke up at night……………. We were standing next to the pipe of the sewer. I don’t know if this is the right word. (in Dutch: ontluchtingspijp van het riool) And the smell was terrible!!!!
As soon as possible we left TR that day.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 am 

hmmm....doesnt sound like you had a fun trip! Yes, it is TR, not TW (i think i started typing Twee...and gave up!) We have a landrover with roof tent, and are spending one night there (then onto Nossob for 3 nights, back to Kalahari tented camp for one night); so hopefully will be ok. I will check our reservation - i think it says "electricity" so if we dont get the right place....i will point that out to them! In spite of your problems....did you have a good trip though?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 am 

Now I am back, I must say that my expectation of our 4 day’s in KTP were too high. We saw lions, but we didn’t see any leopard or cheetah.
The second day in Nossob we left early in the morning. We were just out of the park and another person in a car told us that there were 5 cheeta’s in the last corner before ‘Marie se Draai’. So we came there only 3 minutes later………. There was a roadblock of a lot of cars that we couldn’t see the cheeta’s.

The grass in the Nossob was higher than high! A nice view, but we couldn’t look over the grass. Only at the waterholes we had good sight. (we had 2 nights in N) We drove to Union’s End, but at Lijersdraai we turned back, because we only saw birds, springbokkies, oryx and 1 hyena. And the hyena was too far away to see what hyena it was. And the road was not so good. But in august the grass will be gone, so you will see a lot more I think.

Campsite TR:
At the reception they tell to everybody: "You can stand any place you want".
So I wish you a lot of luck.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:20 pm 

Sorry to read about the MM entrance and why don't you send an email about your 2R campsite with no electra but some other bonus? Might help.
For the sightings in 4 days you did see the lions!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Another tip -- although the official map book estimates 2 1/2 hours from Mata Mata to TR, it takes a lot longer than that I would leave at least 4 hours (so you have time to stop for sightings and at the picnic spots) for that section.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am 

that's great. I reckon we'll get to MM around 9.30am, so will give plenty of time. As it is so cold first thing in the morning, i am guessing things keep moving and as such during the day remains productive. What are the best waterholes en route to TR? Also in August, will temps be below freezing at night and hence, up and out in the morning at gate opening (what times are they actually?) is not as essential as KNP?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 am 

In KTP they are very strict - there is a gate out from mata Mata and they will not allow any one through: but opening time is 7:30 so you should make it. However you will also need the permit from reception which all vehicles need to carry.

One of the main attractions of the KTP are the birds - so I am sorry that people turn just because "all they saw were birds". The park emphasizes that one should look at everything - and it is amazing what you will find and experience if you are open to that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:06 pm 

@ Jonkers:
Sorry to read about the MM entrance and why don't you send an email about your 2R campsite with no electra but some other bonus? Might help.
For the sightings in 4 days you did see the lions!

Well, yes maybe we’ll sent an email, but we don’t buy anything for that. W'll think about it. I just wonder that it seems we are the only people who had this problem. I never heard anyone on the forum with this problem in TR.

But …. yes we were lucky to see several lions. Some far away and some very close. We just left Melkvlei to Kij Kij, a man in a car told us that we had to stop at Kij Kij, (where they closed the road and you have to go over the Duneroad), because under a big tree, in the corner they were 3 lions.
So we drove further, but after 300 m my husband suddenly stopped en said: “Lions!!!”
Just next to the road were 2 lions. Too fat and too tired to open their eyes to look at us. We were very close to make nice pictures.
Than we went to Kij Kij. There stand also several machines of the road workers, but we didn’t see the workers. (probably lunch or a day off, or did the lions ate them???) And yes…… there they were all 3 of them. Just as fat, lazy en tired as the other 2 we saw before. And again we made a lot of pictures.
On the Duneroad we told other people where we found them.
And than the next morning, one of these people we saw in TR and he came to us en was very excited. He told us that he went to Kij Kij and found the lions, but he also found the road workers just working there. So he asked them: “Aren’t you afraid of the lions?”
“WHAT?? Lions!! WHERE??”
“There, next to the other side of the road, under that tree!”
The road workers stood in no time on top of the little portable unit where they had there lunch (when we were there). They were shocked. All day they were working next to the lions and didn’t see them.
The lions must have had a very good meal at night, otherwise the road workers…….

Post subject: Polentswa to Windhoek - fastest route
Unread postPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:59 pm 

Greetings,

Our last night in KTP will be at Polentswa. We may have to wake up early and get to Windhoek that same day. Can this be done?

What is the fastest route? South (via Nossob, Kamqua, Mata Mata) or North (via Kaa). I would guess South would be faster, but thought I would ask.

Also, how long would you expect this to take, in a slow but sure Land Cruiser?

Thanks much,
Chris.

Post subject: Re: Polentswa to Windhoek - fastest route
Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 am 

Chris

Tracks4Africa (which is pretty accurate) gives me the following:

Polentswa - Kaa - Ncojane - Charles Hill - Gobabis - Windhoek = 790km 18hrs.

Polentswa - Mata Mata - Stampriet - Mariental - Windhoek = 780km 13hrs.

So you're right that going south is the quicker route, due mainly to the fact that you're on good gravel all the time, as opposed to thick sand Botswana cut line roads. Either way you're in for a very long day. Remember to clear customs at Twee Rivieren on your way in.

Rgds

Rob

Post subject: Keetmanshoop to KTC
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 am 

We are going to be staying in KTC in March before going on 2R and Nossob. As we are going to be so high up we tough we would go up through Namibia and in at Mata Mata. Just a couple of questions:
1) Is it possible to enter from Namibia into the KTP?
2) If so, is there immigration etc as the website points out that if going in the opposite direction you need to get stamped at 2R.
3) Does Namibian time differ to SA time in March or is it only applicable in Winter
4) What is the best route from Keetmenshoop into Mata Mata, how is the road, and how long does it take?
5) Oh yes, and how is the petrol situation on the Namibian side of the border?
Any suggestions welcome! Mother in Law has such a wonderful time last year she now wants a more rugged adventure than just 2R and tar.(and she is 80!) :

Post subject: Re: Keetmanshoop to KTC
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 am 

Hi there Bentony,

The road between Mata Mata and Keetmanshoop was surely one of the highlights of our tour in May/June last year . . . and very few people are aware of this.

The 14 meter wide gravel road is in many places even better than any tar track in South Africa. The mainly flat surface is of a very fine gravel (more like a coarse sand) making driving at speeds even up to 120 . . . a real pleasure.

The first 68 kms out of Mata Mata, before turning left onto the 'dune road' via Koës for Keetmanshoop, was simply like a highway with unbelievable beautiful vegetation . . . in stark contrast with what you were used to inside the fence at Mata Mata !

The 'dune road' is quite fun and a tester for the stomach . . . . because you cross a dune every 2-3 kms for the best of about 40 kms . . . this road was in excellent condition, with the only thing of importance,
to stay on your side at the crest of every dune ! The so-called 'streets' between the dunes were covered with lush yellow bushman grass.

Koës Hotel is a real 'one horse town scenario' . . . but perfect for a stop for the 'his & hers' . . . and a cup of coffee served on the veranda of the old hotel a must. Do not forget to ask the waiter to call the tame Waterhog that roams freely in and around the building . . . feeding it with a slice of bread is a scream and big fun.

The run down to Keetmanshoop from there is lovely and dunes gave way to absolutely flat country. Approx 15 kms from Keetmanshoop a quick stop along the road to look at the thousands of Quiver trees amongst the most beautiful boulders of the Giants Play Ground is a must. No need to go into the reservation . . the view from the road is just as good.

Total distance from MM to Keetmanshoop is 268 kms with a easy average travel speed of 100 . . . to add you stoppage times . . . for you only to work your trip in reverse coming from Keetmanshoop !

And do not forget Onseepkans enroute to Keetmanshoop. Absolutely the finest place to stay on your way to Mata Mata. . . see one the home page of my website http://www.reddune.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Last edited by Red Dune on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am 

Excellent - sounds great. What appeals to me is that I can find no info anywhere which tells me it is nice and remote. I am looking forward to entering the park from the North, it kind of gives a different perspective. How completed is the revamp of Mata Mata? We were last there in 2007 and I have to admit the huts put me mind of a 1970's road camp. Which is why we always stay at KTC.
Less than 6 weeks to go!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bentony
As far as I know the upgrades are complete. We only stayed in Nossob and those units were also all upgraded. Much better than the old interior - a bit more modern and comfortable.
The trip from Keetmans to Mata mata sounds awesome. Will really do that next time.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:04 pm 

Bentony,

Forgot to mention.

Should you have a 30 minutes or so to spare while travelling North East from Keetmanshoop towards Mata Mata . . . please stop somewhere on the crest of one of the dozens of dunes that you will cross . . . beyond Koës . . .

Take out the flask for a coffee/tee . . . get out the folding chair for the 'old girl' . . . and simply enjoy the 'big quiet', unlimited view and the enormity of the rolling dunes of that part of the world. Take off your shoes and feel the red sand under your feet !

Then . . . . falling quiet yourself for a couple of minutes . . . you instantly make that mystical mind shift once again, allowing you to simply become part of the tranquillity awaiting you within the hour . . . . on the other side of the fence in the Kgalagadi !

Kindest regards and enjoy !

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next