SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 20 [ 286 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Bateleur

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:57 am Unread post
Saw this Bateleur at a waterhole north of Nossob in the Kgalagadi – think it was Quap
This was a very interesting interaction. The Bateleur was sitting at the waterhole for a long time before the jackal appeared. Initially we though there were something wrong with it. The jackal also thought so, and being an opportunist went closer. The Bateleur puffed itself up and the jackal retreated.
The jackal started to drink water and the bateleur joined in.
A while later, the bateleur’s partner arrived and they both flew of.
Last post

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:48 am Unread post
Saw this one on the H10, feeding on a dove (I think)

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:05 pm Unread post
Hi Jannie,

Since we're talking about the Bateleur, I've two questions that you may be able to answer:

Two weeks ago we were in the Krugerpark and spotted three juvenile Bateleurs in one tree. Since Bateleurs only lay one egg at the time, these three could not be from the same nest. One of them had whitish coloured legs, ....

... the legs of the other birds were already turning red, so I assume they were older.

Why were these young birds in the tree together? Do juvenile Bateleurs form groups after they leave the nest or do Bateleur parents use something like "crèches" to leave their young while hunting?

One of the birds was perched higher up in the tree than the other two. Suddenly he jumped up and flew towards the other one, trying to knock him off his branch as it seemed or attacking him, but in a rather clumsy way (see pictures below).
Is this just playing or is there another explanation for this?

I was hoping that you could tell more about this?
Arie

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:05 pm Unread post
Hi Jannie,

Thank you (and 'your source') so much for the extensive explanation. Very interesting information about the behaviour of these beautiful birds. This was the first time we saw more than one Bateleur in one place. Other sightings were always individuals and most of them adults. Next time we spot one we will look closely and see if we can find more of them in the area and observe their behaviour.
Since I'm Dutch I have no problem reading Afrikaans. For the non-afrikaans/dutch speaking forumites who are also interested, I've translated it in English:

>>>

The three subadult Bateleurs, seen together in one tree, are interesting. The Bateleur is an inter-Africa vagrant until it reaches adulthood at about seven years. During this period they migrate across the continent to places where food sources are available at a certain moment. In this way large numbers of these vagrant (mostly subadult) Bateleurs are seen in the southern Kalahari from time to time, mostly in late summer and dry wintermonth. For instance, 30 Bateleurs, most of which were subadults, have been spotted at a natural waterhole near Jan se Draai in the winter of 1992. On 1 july 1988 I counted 66 individual Bateleurs from Nossob to Twee Rivieren. Most of them were juvenile birds but there were also quite some adult birds. In 1989 two adult Cream-backed Bateleurs were shortly seen in the Nossob camp area. They then disappeared again. None of the 13 resident pairs of Bateleurs I've studied had such a white back. Since all chicks have been colour ringed these juvenile birds must have come from elsewhere. Without exception Bateleurs have been breading in the Camel Thorn trees along the Nossob and Auob. I have never found any pairs in the dunes. So these juvenile birds could not have been of any pair in the surrounding area, but must have come from elsewhere.

In Zimbabwe it has been noticed by Carl Vernon that concentrations of mostly subadult birds sometimes occurred at certain locations. Carl has speculated that these concentrations occurred in areas with a sudden local abundance of food in areas which are normally unsuitable habitat for Bateleurs (like in the Kalahari). Concentrations of Bateleurs have also been seen in other parts of Africa like Zambia, Kenya and Kruger National Park. It has also been noted that recorded numbers of Bateleurs have peaked at different times and different places, indicating long distance migrations (vagrancy).

Long story. But to return to the tourist's observation, the juvenile birds that have been spotted together could have been part of such a concentration, or just juvenile birds of the almost 500 breeding pairs (according to Watson, I think there are fewer pairs) in the Kruger National Park, that gathered near a food or water source. The behaviour of one Bateleur attacking the other could have been aggression at a food soure. I've seen such aggression between young Bateleurs at a carcass. (Bateleurs can also eat termites flying in large numbers after a rainshower. They walk on the ground near the opening of the termite nest picking up the termites).

<<<

Thanks again Jannie, for your help :thumbs_up:

(I have more questions about observed animal behaviour for you, both from Kruger and Kgalagdi, but will leave it for later. Don't want to 'overload' you :wink: )

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:58 pm Unread post
These were taken with an old digital camera?? (1.25 MP)

On the way to Timbavati we came across what appeared to be roadkilled impala, no marks, no predators about, and this immature bateleur was first on the scene. We got very close and it did not fly away.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:06 am Unread post

Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 am Unread post

Was browsing my pictures and found this one that I captured near Talamati last year

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:42 pm Unread post
Bateleur (juvenile) @ Mlondozi June 2006

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:40 pm Unread post
Never found one in great light
This one near Bobbejaanskrans waiting for the air to heat up

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 pm Unread post
Juvenile Bateleur S56

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:17 pm Unread post
Saw this pair in August near hippo pool

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:31 am Unread post

KNP, August 2006

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:34 pm Unread post
Balule Sept 2006:

Bateleur

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:04 pm Unread post
Seen just after the Berg-en-Dal turnoff. Unfortunately was chased by a vehicle passing us.

Image[/img]

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:17 am Unread post
Hi everybody ! :yaya:
I need some help with the raptors again... :roll:
Here is the first one :

Could this be a juvenile Bateleur , or another Eagle ?!

And is this the same kind of raptor?

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
Page 1 of 20 [ 286 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic