SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Leopard attacks crocodile.

Profile  YIM 
Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:23 pm Unread post
Hello to all.

I read in yesterday's Daily Mirror here in the UK that a leopard had attacked and killed a crocodile at a water-hole somewhere in the Kruger Park. Unfortunately it didn't say which particular water-hole it was.

The pictures that came with the article were unbelievable and it must have been an awesome sighting for those in the area.

Please could someone tell me which water-hole it was and also tell me in which part of the Park it is located in order to assist with my search.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Regards,

Deryck. :?
Last post

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 pm Unread post
Hi Deryck,

This event perhaps?

Profile  YIM 
Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:39 pm Unread post
Hi Dalene.

Thanks a million for the link. Great pictures and some good postings too. Thanks again.

Regards,

Deryck.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:47 pm Unread post
Saw these some years ago but the photos did not indicate where they were taken or by who, or is this a recent sighting?

Profile  WWW 
Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:57 pm Unread post
Wow, hadn't seen that. Amazing series of photos.

Pics here

No clues on the photos as to the waterhole. Perhaps we'll hear soon if anyone on here witnessed it.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 pm Unread post
Silolweni Dam, as I recall. It is just off the tar road on the right, south of Tshokwane, on the way to Skukuza. Just North of Leeupan.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:18 am Unread post
Happened earlier this year in Shingwedzi ..

On the 18th of Feb at 19h35, Nedick Bila, the Senior Field Guide in Shingwedzi, along with the other KNP visitors on the Sunset Drive, witnessed a Leopard killing a Crocodile at one of the high level bridges.

Infact .. one of our forumites (anne-marie) was there ...

I can't see the pic .. but you can have a look in this topic

Profile  WWW 
Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:55 am Unread post
Hi I also saw these pics a few years back in an e mail that went around it also did not state where these pics were taken

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 pm Unread post
It is absolutely an amazing sighting! :shock:

I am just wondering... Do you think the crocodile died?

10 years ago in Zambia we saw 2 lions "killing" a croc. We saw the fight... and then they started to suffocate it! 20 minutes later they started feeding relactantly on it, but blood was running! They could not really get under the skin. (It was a big croc!) After an about an hour we started the vehicle to leave the sighting. The croc opened its mouth and hissed at us. The next day when we went back to the site, the croc and lions were gone!

So... it played dead! A croc can stay under water for at least an hour.... I am just asking.... :?

wow leopard kills croc

Profile  WWW 
Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 pm Unread post
Wow an amazing set of pics. I really love seeing them, thanx for sharing.

I wonder if this photographer has a license for these images according to SANparks? mmm did you get a license to sell your pics to the tabloids?

http://www.sanparks.org/groups/filming/ ... policy.pdf

Eish it's so sad that you have to ask permission to sell photo's that belong to you. I wonder how many photographers know about this law?

Re: wow leopard kills croc

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 pm Unread post
simonB wrote
Eish it's so sad that you have to ask permission to sell photo's that belong to you. I wonder how many photographers know about this law?

Many do simonB :D It is not a new law and there has been a great deal of discussion around it - even on these forums over the years.

And a good place to start might be to see what other national parks around the world do in cases like this - you might be surprised :wink:

surprized and shocked

Profile  WWW 
Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 pm Unread post
Thanx for the comment @dinkybird

I am totally shocked to learn about this law. Who cares how other National Parks around the world are doing it. This is South Africa, How are amateur photographers ever going to make a living with laws like this.

I understand when a large movie house makes a film, that makes sense, I mean just look at the new crusoe TV series being filmed in the Tsitsikamma national park at the moment, huge sets going up etc etc.. Then this type of law makes sense and obviously the park must make money then.

However for people like me and you who drive in, take a few pics, dont disturb anything, and drive out to try and make a living off the pics we took. its totally shocking that there needs to be such a rigmarole to get permission.

This basically means SANparks is killing small business, not everyone has the time and cash to suffer to get a license. I mean if I hadnt stumbled upon this on the blogs how would I have known, I would have started a small business only to be slammed by SAN parks after spending alot on setting up. I can only imagine how hard this info would be to obtain by previously disadvantaged individuals.

Anyway I don't wanna cause a big stir, am tired of fighting for everything in life.. I think what I will do is apply for said license and see how the process goes, I will then report back via my blog.

Thanx again for your good feedback..

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 am Unread post
simonB .. Have a read through this topic .. it might give some perspective on this.

Commercial photography in the Parks

I encourage you to read KNP Spokesman's post on the last page.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:44 am Unread post
This Leopard Croc sequence is absolutely amazing...I wonder if the croc was sick a bit as they are immensily strong..but then so is a leopard...20 30 years ago a Ranger on the NW Boundary of Kruger found a baby ellie up a tree!! :shock:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:05 am Unread post
Wild@Heart wrote
simonB .. Have a read through this topic .. it might give some perspective on this.

Commercial photography in the Parks

I encourage you to read KNP Spokesman's post on the last page.

a little bit complicated... for me :redface: and out of this thread : leopard .... crocodile

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic