SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Forum folklore and customs : how did they evolve

Junior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:26 pm Unread post
As for first lion(s) actually seen on old (or old old??) Orpen cam, I dunno, but I do know the pride of four that I saw one evening in spring (EU) 2005*) may have been the first submitted to the Orpen Cam HiLites.

*) I remember Bwana (?) and Sharky seeing them too, but somehow they missed capturing the frames...

I've a picture of the lions on the old Orpen cam :dance: At Wednesday, May 11 2005, time: 18:06:19 8)
Last post

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:28 pm Unread post
Waiting for your post with that sighting... :popcorn:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:34 pm Unread post
Tadadadada.... Image

Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:22 pm Unread post
Hey The Sharky!! Thanks SO much!!!

Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:49 pm Unread post
* Guinea Pig (who first joined as Santie) thought there were Springbok in KNP. Jacov did however find proof of springbok in KNP.

* Meg was heartbroken that people ate Skilpaadjies in Kruger.

* Acekam invented the "Yellow Ribbon":
Acekam wrote
I would like to propose that all forum members tie a yellow ribbon to the side mirror of their vehicles when travelling through the park. That way, forum members can be easily identified by other forum members and greet each other.

* The original Orpen webcam was relocated for the following reason:
Kruger wrote
From a conservation point of view we were advised by the ranger at Orpen, to relocate the camera as the water overflow to the natural waterhole will no longer take place as it the presence of this overflow of water in the waterhole that is causing a lot of animal traffic which is causing a lot of erosion.

* There is such a thing as Musketeer code:
francoisd wrote
DuQues wrote
Who (of the Angels of course) can still write in Muskateer?

Did they ever knew how?
I don't think they'll be able to remember difficult things like that.

* WTM became known as 'Oom' for the following reason:
gwendolen wrote
Two very pretty girls were handing out samples in a supermarket. I forgot what exactly. I'm sure WTM will remember, as this day must be permanently etched in his memory. The Wildtuinman strolled by and froze when he heard them say: "Would you like to try some, Oom"?

* Musketeers took years to believe there was such a thing as a LIT and become members of LITS.

* How did 'Angels' and 'Musketeers' originate on this forum?
GP wrote
:lol: Me and Meg! Acekam, WTM and Bwana were making life difficult for us and I called them the Three Musketeers. Meg came up with Angels for the Ladies! 8)

* The first forum meets:
Jose wrote
.... was the "Pillow Fight Meet", aka first (unoffical) international EuroMeet (25-27 May 2005).
The first one in South Africa was held in Gauteng in May 2005.

* GP's favourite insult was "gaan vang 'n vlieg"

* Bwana, GP, WTM and W@H were the first mods.

* Bwana and Twigga were the only forum members to appear on the webcam.

* The first trip report.

* The first sms report to be sent in.

* The first lions captured on cam (Orpen):
The Sharky wrote

* Mikey is the first 'forum' baby.

* Admin's oldest post that is still on the forum.

* Kruger's (Danie) oldest post on the forum can be found here - Kruger National Park forum.

* KNP Spokesman's oldest post on the forum can be found here.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:25 pm Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
<...>
* The first forum meets:
Jose wrote
.... was the "Pillow Fight Meet", aka first (unoffical) international EuroMeet (25-27 May 2005).
I've said it before and, in spite of own quote, I'm saying again: I still think this is debatable! :twisted: Check both our reg dates, and you may want to agree that Herman and I (plus a few other friends) meeting up for Happy New Year's bubblies at midnight on 31 Dec 2004 at Shingwedzi camp (with none other than Mashagadzi munching his way through the riverbed at the same time) may have been a true "first". But then I guess, the concept of "meet" had not materialized at the time for you, slowpokes! :P

DinkyBird wrote
* The first lions captured on cam (Orpen):
The Sharky wrote
[img]...[/img]
Debatable again! :P "Seen" was a simultaneous experience for several forumites, but "captured"... You sure? :wink: Start reading here.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:12 pm Unread post
Guinea Pig wrote

1. Who saw the first lion on the old Orpen cam?

2. Who were the first mods?

3. Where was the first official meet held? "Oom" will remember, he got SO lost! :twisted:

4. Who made the first trip report for whom?

As promised: :lol:

1. Elaine USA
2. GP, WTM, W@H & Bwana
3. Magaliesburg
4. That was me reporting for WTM indeed.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:17 pm Unread post
DinkyBird wrote

* GP's favourite insult was "gaan vang 'n vlieg"

Actually not! :lol: It was "Gaan vang 'n HAAN!" until DQ decided he didn't have enough space left for anymore chickens in his flat, so it became "vlieg"!

The first lions were definitely Elaine USA. It was just after 9 at the very beginning. I was about to post there were lions online, but she'd already posted it. Now I'm talking November that year. LONG time ago! 8)

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:27 pm Unread post
Guinea Pig wrote
<...>3. Where was the first official meet held? <...> :twisted:

Define "official" :twisted:

Jose wrote
I still think this is debatable! Check both our edited: (forum) reg dates, and you may want to agree that Herman and I (plus a few other friends) meeting up for Happy New Year's bubblies at midnight on 31 Dec 2004 at Shingwedzi camp (with none other than Mashagadzi munching his way through the riverbed at the same time) may have been a true "first". But then I guess, the concept of "meet" had not materialized at the time for you, slowpokes!

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:30 pm Unread post
Ah GP is in the house 8)

Who attended the meet at Magaliesburg? And can you give a date it was held? Am I correct to assume it was May 2005?

Got any more questions for us GP?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:36 pm Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
<...>Who attended the meet at Magaliesburg? And can you give a date it was held? Am I correct to assume it was May 2005?<...>

You really wanna know...?
The metadata on the pics say: 29 May 2005. Shall I post them? Nah, better not... I gave my word not to. :P

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:38 pm Unread post
Guinea Pig wrote
The first lions were definitely Elaine USA. It was just after 9 at the very beginning. I was about to post there were lions online, but she'd already posted it. Now I'm talking November that year. LONG time ago! 8)

Ah - so we are wrong with the 4 lions... I wonder if Elaine USA still has a pic. Did she post a pic GP or just a comment?

I will update/correct the answers listed in my summary as we establish the correct facts.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:41 pm Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
<...>I will update/correct the answers listed in my summary as we establish the correct facts.

You still keeping up? I know, I'm not... :lol:
DuQues wrote
Jose wrote
"Gaan vang een haan!"

Vlieg! :lol: FD and I caught more than just many of them. (I still do at times.)

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:42 pm Unread post
Jose wrote
DinkyBird wrote
<...>Who attended the meet at Magaliesburg? And can you give a date it was held? Am I correct to assume it was May 2005?<...>

You really wanna know...?
The metadata on the pics say: 29 May 2005. Shall I post them? Nah, better not... I gave my word not to. :P

I have those pics too and know who was there :D but thought GP might enjoy listing the people seeing she was one of those who attended. 8)

And nah - better not post them Jose... think we will have some :evil: forumites if you did :lol: :lol:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:46 pm Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
Ah - so we are wrong with the 4 lions... I wonder if Elaine USA still has a pic. Did she post a pic GP or just a comment?

I'm not sure we had the "technology" to post so quickly then and if she did keep one.

Another correction, DQ or Jose can correct me, but the Pillow Fight meet wasn't a forum meet as far as I know. It was an Africam meet. DQ was just too curious bout the outhers, so he went along. Freda should remember the "bokdrol" spit at another Africam meet that almost got them in trouble in London! :lol: Tecnically the real first forum meet was Jose and Herman over Christmas one year in KNP? Shingwedzi wasn't it?

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic