SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 4 of 31 [ 452 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next

Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:57 pm Unread post
Thanks again , Freda & Joel R for info

I have changed my reservation 22-26 Dec 06 from Kruger to Mapungubwe limpopo 22 Dec , 23-26 th at Leokwe on your recommendation . I will try to get the whole time at Leokwe so as not to have to exit the park in order to see the Eastern section , maybe try Limpopo when the park is consolidated . Any recommendations / tips as to which units are most private / best view , where to buy ice / wood en route / what is best route ,road condition / traffic from Polokwane (via Vivo or Musina )
Last post

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:45 pm Unread post
I would spend 2 nights at Limpopo so that you have time to visit the Maloutswa hide and enjoy the camp.
It is only a short drive from the western section to the eastern.
All the units at both camps are nice, we had No 7 at Limpopo and No 9 at Leokwe.
We did Polokwane to Messina but we visited Alldays from the park and that road was in better condition.
There are garages at both Alldays and Messina where you can buy ice and wood and also a garage on the road from Messina to Mapungubwe Main gate if you decide to take that road.
Have a great time and a lovely Christmas :)
Drive safely.

JO'BURG - MARAKELE - MAPUNGUBWE

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 pm Unread post
Hi all,
my next trip in is S.A. is ready .... only 7 months!! (august 2007)!
Anyone could suggest me the best road from Jo'burg int.airport to Marakele N.P. and then from Marakele to Mapungubwe N.P. please?
Thank you.
Greetings from Italy
Suricati

Virtual Ranger
Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:13 pm Unread post
Hello suricati and welcome! :)

I have never been to the two parks you are planning on going to. I'm going to help as far as I can, am sure there will be someone with some more details.
From the airport, take the R21 North (towards Pretoria). At Pretoria take the N4 West till the Brits off ramp, take the R511 to Tabazimbi, there you should see roadsigns directing to Marakele.
From Marakele to Mapungubwe I will tell you what I got on Mapsource, but I'm not at all familiar with this area:
Take the R510 to Lephalale (previously Ellisras), continue to the R572, turn right on the R572. Continue till you get to the R521, turn left on the R521(R572). Here you are very close to the park and should see some road signs again.
I will also advise you to go the Automobile Association website for route planning.

From Marakele to Mapungubwe I will rather go back to Tabazimbi, going on the Brits road till you get the R516 towards Bela-Bela (Warmbaths). From there go to the N1 North to Musina (Messina), past Polokwane (Pietersburg). At Musina you will get the R527 and after a few kilometers the park should be on your right hand side. This will be by far a much faster route to take.

I'm giving both the (old) and new names for the towns, for I don't know the age of the map you are working from.
Hope this helped a bit.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:49 am Unread post
Hi

I had my first wonderful visit to Mapungubwe in Decemeber-It's a great park, as is Marakele

I'll ask one of our Guru's for confirmation, but Reinette's route sounds good :wink:

Diannet

Mazhou Campsite

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:56 am Unread post
I am going camping at Mazhou in 17 days. Can anyone offer any info as to what the campsite looks like. Ie.lots of trees, open, etc. I believe the place is not fenced off. How many ablution blocks, etc. Some pics would be nice. Where can I get a proper road map, seems people get lost easily there and a mammal checklist ???? Help please.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm Unread post
Hi Fatcat,

There aren't any pics of the campsite yet. It looks like you might be the first forumite to visit, so please take lost of pics to share with us. :D
On the Mapungubwe page I found a mammal list and Birding in Mapungubwe. The map doesn't show the new campsite [I couldn't find it], but I'm sure you'll get one at the gate when you check in.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:29 pm Unread post
Howzit feel to be a pioneer, Fatcat.

It would be great if you could do a trip report, informing on animal & bird sightings, road status, campsite status, elevated walkway and anything others could benefit from like blue plug requirements.

Enjoy it!

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAZHOU CAMPSITE

Virtual Ranger
Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:10 pm Unread post
Any information on the campsite and especially photo's would be highly appreciated. We are booked there from 26 December for 10 nights.

Mazhou Campsite

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:10 am Unread post
Thank you all for your promt replies ! I shall most certainly do a very detailed trip report, I don't feel pressurised or anything you understand. :wink: I'm sooooooo excited. Going for four nights only, hoping ellies behave :shock: [/img]

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:49 pm Unread post
Totally forgot to take decent pix during our recent stay at Mazhou. Unforgivable obviously, but we were too busy enjoying ourselves. :D

Here are some ok shots to give an idea...

The facilities

Our camp

The treetop walk in the eastern section of the park - Limpopo river bed on the background

The Shashe river is the border between Botswana and Zimbabwe and enters the Limpopo at the Confluence - a highlight of any Mapungubwe visit

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:58 pm Unread post
Thanks for the pix, JoelR. Great to get an idea of what the camp looks like!

Limpopo Forest - Nearby restaurants / caterers

Profile  WWW 
Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:05 pm Unread post
Hi there,

We have a group of 9 staying at the Limpopo Forest tented accommodation and don't want to have to cook for them!! Can anybody recommend any restaurants or caterers within 100km of the area?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:12 pm Unread post
Hi

Alldays and Musina are both about 70k's aways...Alldays has a famous pub and Musina has the usual chain restaurants etc...we'll see if any of the other forum membes have suggestions-it's a gorgeous camp though-you should have a wonderful time!

Dianne

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 pm Unread post
The park itself uses caterers for functions and sometimes parks staff do the catering at Tshugulu lodge. I am sure the tourism manager (Norman Mudau) can help you - either with arrangements for your group or with useful tips!

Just ask for him at the Mapungubwe reception: 015-5342014.

Have fun counting Tropical Boubous :!: :D

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
Page 4 of 31 [ 452 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic