SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 13 [ 182 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Travelling to Addo National Park

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:47 am Unread post
I had to travel to Stromsriver and back yesterday (16/03/2005). If any of you will be travelling to Addo from Cape Town via the N2 highway please allow up to 1 hour extra travelling time as the road works between Wilderness and Knysna, and at Plettenberg Bay will cause certain delays.

Believe me it is no fun waiting at those stop-go section for 10 minutes or more if your vehicle is not fitted with air conditioning!

Noticed that Oumie will be driving in that direction on Sunday
Last post

Guru
Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:04 am Unread post
There are more roadworks just outside Humansdorp, so take these into account as well.

Travelling to Addo National Park

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:23 am Unread post
Hi All,

How long would you expect it to take to travel from Cape Town to Addo National Park? I'll be traveling around the 19th or 20th June this year.

If you think it's worth breaking the journey down, can anyone recommend a good place to stop off for the night at about the half way point?

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 am Unread post
Hi jonno - info you will also need re your question about travelling from CT to Addo is here.

It is just over 800kms which is a comfortable journey that can be done in a single day (8 hours) as the roads are really good (except for the road work delays). What about considering stopping at Storms River along the way if you do wish to break your journey. More info see here

Re: Travelling from Cape Town to Addo

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:49 pm Unread post
francoisd wrote
I had to travel to Stromsriver and back yesterday (16/03/2005). If any of you will be travelling to Addo from Cape Town via the N2 highway please allow up to 1 hour extra travelling time as the road works between Wilderness and Knysna, and at Plettenberg Bay will cause certain delays.

Believe me it is no fun waiting at those stop-go section for 10 minutes or more if your vehicle is not fitted with air conditioning!

We are travelling from Addo to the direction of Cape Town on the 4 th of May.Are there still road works at Humansdorp,as well between Knysna and Wilderness and Plettenberg Bay or are they already finished? :?:

Re: Travelling from Cape Town to Addo

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:56 pm Unread post
katydownunder wrote
francoisd wrote

We are travelling from Addo to the direction of Cape Town on the 4 th of May.Are there still road works at Humansdorp,as well between Knysna and Wilderness and Plettenberg Bay or are they already finished? :?:

I would imagine that they are still in progress. The Plett road works are extensive. I'll ring the AA in the morning and check for you and post a reply if no one replies before then.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:12 pm Unread post
@ KDU - try this website

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:34 am Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
@ KDU - try this website

Great!
Thanx DinkyBird for your fast and kind answer :D
I will now check the news24 site regularly before we leave for South Africa.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:57 am Unread post
I visited Wilderness over the weekend: 22nd-24th of April 2005.

Just past Wilderness going to Sedgefield there is a stop/go roadwork. Please allow +- 20mins for this. In Sedgefield there is another one. +- 20mins again for this.

Much of the N2 are worked on with some special note on the very treacherous pass just before entering Wilderness coming from George on the N2.

The N2 between just outside Knysna and Wilderness are closed between 11:00 and 13:00 on Thursdays and Tuesdays due to blasting. The roads are being broaden and will definitely help with traffic problems occuring over busy periods such as December.

There are still much work to do but I reckon come Nov it will be completed. Please be patient and don't loose your cool. It is simply not worth it.

Also please adhere to the speed regulations and limits and travel distances. It is not worth breaking those limits as many traps are operating in this area. The limits are also there for very good reason as this road claims many lifes each day.

Profile  WWW 
Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:23 am Unread post
wildtuinman wrote

Where's the trip report WTM?
We are planning to visit in August. I would love to hear more about the park. :D

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:30 am Unread post
gwendolen wrote
wildtuinman wrote

Where's the trip report WTM?
We are planning to visit in August. I would love to hear more about the park. :D

C Garden route Parks and Recent SightingsTopics

Profile  WWW 
Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:32 am Unread post
I read them. Do you have any info on the park its self? What were the camping sites like ect.?

Port Elizabeth - Addo - Port Elizabeth

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:45 pm Unread post
My friend and I intend to visit Addo sometime end July and need some feedback on a few questions. We are very new at this.

Our intention is to stay in one of the Addo main camp accomodations for a day or two and take the guided game drives. Other than renting a car to get from Port Elizabeth to Addo, is there any other way to get to Addo eg. a shuttle service ? Because even if we rented a car to get to Addo, we would still prefer to take the guided drives. And if there is indeed a shuttle, is there an available transfer back to Port Elizabeth ?

If we do have to rent a car, can we still park at Addo main camp and take the guided drives ?

The guided game drives - is it better to pre-book them when we do the accomodation booking, or we check in first and then do the game drive bookings ?

Your suggestions are much appreciated...

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:00 am Unread post
Hi

Go here. it's a long read, but has all the details of the park etc. I have no idea on the shuttle service, but I would rent a car if I was you. You will see that it is just as enjoyable to drive yourself because then you can stay for as long or as short as you like at any sighting. There is no reason that you cannot go on a guided drive if you are there in your own vehicle.

End of july eh? I hope you have booked......

Guru
Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:51 am Unread post
As said in the previous post, it is more convenient to rent a vehicle as this will allow you greater choice and mobility.

If you would still prefer a shuttle, try the Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism website, www.nmbt.co.za where you might find some information.

You can book guided drives in advance to be sure you get space on the ones that you prefer, or you could leave it until you get to the park, but bear in mind that some drives (e.g. night drive) are very popular. To book in advance, email addogamedrives@sanparks.org

You can definitely take guided game drives, even if you have a rental vehicle. Another option is to rent a vehicle and then hire an Eyethu Hop-on Guide who will get into your vehicle and guide you around the park. You can book these guides on addoenquiries@sanparks.org

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Page 1 of 13 [ 182 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic