SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Predators/ open or closed windows?

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:02 pm Unread post
Even having a rifle in the vehicle is no assurance.

Mostly we drive with the rifles stored in a rifle bag.
But even if you have it in a rifle rack, the chance is extremely low that you will be able to use it in an effective way should a predator decide to enter the vehicle.
There is no time and very little space to move.

And even if you do, given the calibre and power of the rifles, there is a huge risk of shooting one or more of the guests in the process.
These rifles are designed to kill elephant and the bullet will go straight through a predator without losing any effectiveness.
Last post

Re: Predators and open windows

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm Unread post
In this instance, Pray. :pray:

Different Lions, Different prides, same day, so I learnt how to pray :D

Forum Assistant
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 am Unread post
So, IMHO, this thing about animals only seeing the vehicle, and not the tidbits inside, :tongue:

I do believe that they see us and know what is going on inside the vehicles. They just choose to sometimes ignore us!!

We've seen it a couple of times in Kgalagadi, where the lions would pic a car and move closer to inspect. They were certainly not interested in the car, but the occupants.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am Unread post
A few years ago I traveled from Skukuza to Kruger gate, just after the turnoff to Lake Panic a leopard appeared right next to the road.
Since I was the only car around I stopped right next to it with the intention to take a brilliant photo, my window was open as I were told that one should not brake the shape of the vehicle when close to predators as they see you as part of the vehicle.
However in the next couple of seconds I learnt that this was an absolute myth, with the leopard nicely in focus - just about to press the button for my award winning photo - It came for me :shock: :big_eyes:
To this day I have no idea how I managed to close the window so quickly, I was however unable to move as I was shaking like a broken washing machine.
An approaching car observed this from a distance and asked if I was ok?
Had to reply that I was not but I have learned a very valuable lesson and that is that Leopards do not see you as part of the vehicle it sees you as someone in the vehicle and that is a fact.
What I also learned was that a leopard moves faster than lightning and that I am sure that it did not want to hurt me it only wanted to warn me as it would have been so easy for the Leopard to grab me with my window open.
I shudder when I see people hanging out of their vehicles or letting their children stand head and shoulders through a roof window.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am Unread post
i also think its about personal space. we usuallly park our car and let the Preditors come to us instead of rushing towards them taking photos. have a photo of my fiance staring directly into a females eye which made me realize that they do take notice of you. but point begin she came to our car we didnt rush apon her so think she felt safe!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm Unread post
So HOW CLOSE do you want to get, when on an open game vehicle? :big_eyes:

Virtual Ranger
Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm Unread post
This mommy ( with 4 young cubs ) , came right by me , looking me straight in the eye :roll:
Phew ! , that calculating look , made me close the window pretty quick-smart and even today , I still get cold shivers down my spine just thinking about it :doh:

Last edited by okie on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:11 pm Unread post
Nice photos and interesting views. I shall give the open window photo shoot a go during my next visit to KNP in Sept.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm Unread post
On this ocation our windows were defnitaly close!!!!

This :cam: was taken without any zoom

Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm Unread post
This video clip, is part of a documentary made by the BBC several years back, they interviewed Dr Douw Grobler in regards to the maneating lions in Kruger.

Earlier this year my SO and I had a similar encounter with a male lion in the South of the Park, the lion also lowering himself swishing his tail and performing an ominous rumbling growl at us. Needless to say my window was definitely closed. We have had similar incidents with other lions as well. In our experience this seems to be happening more frequently now than in the past.

Man eating lions in Kruger

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 am Unread post
The window was open as this beauty walked by!

This is the baobab leopard ...

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:45 am Unread post
If this lioness wasn't looking at me through the open window, then I don't know what she was looking at!!!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 am Unread post
And the closest I ever got ... I could have literally touched this one!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:57 am Unread post
I sure was nervous! Really gets the heart pumping ... The windows were open enough to get the camera lens through and that was it! I must admit though (as some of the forum items have said) I don't think the position of the windows matters ... If a cat wants you, it's gonna go through a car window open or not!!!!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:51 pm Unread post
We had an experience once with a troop of baboons during which we closed our windows before approaching and came to a stop to see what they do.
We just so happened to be enjoying some coffee and biscuits at the time and one of the baboons saw us eating after which he jumped onto the bonnet of the car and had a closer look.
We sent him a message by squirting the windscreen wipers, needless to say he jumped pretty high off the car.
But if our windows were open it might have been a different situation, as the animal had the intelligence to pick up that we had food I'm very certain it would have taken a chance and snuck in the window for a quick snack.

Assessing the situation and taking precautions can prevent a bad situation from occurring. so caution should always be taken when dealing with wild animals.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic