SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 3 of 7 [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Predators/ open or closed windows?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm Unread post
Yes, I can remember these pics, but was it a deliberate decision by the lion to get inside the car or was it perhaps the smell of last night's braai meat still left on the door knob that attracted the lion?
How would a lion know how to open a door?
But, if a lion starts to learn where there is easy meat, they will continue following that method of hunting.
Look at what the "Man eaters of Tsavo" has done.
If lions discover that the easiest way to get some food is by jumping through a car window, they will continue doing that.
Last post

Re: Predators and open windows

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 pm Unread post
Butterbee wrote
I have experienced a leopard at touching distance next to the vehicle.....and he was completely relaxed.

I could not contort my body enough, and anyway it happened too fast for photos...
But on a drive in a place I will not mention we were at a leopards mating sighting.
We were in 11-seaters, very near them, which they did not seem to care about, just continuing "the business".
During one of the pauses the female walked up to the truck behind us, got onto her hind legs, and in a totally relaxed way sniffed at the elbow of a young girl seated there.
The girl did not seem to be too frightened, evidence may have proved me wrong ( :D ), but the leopard was just looking. Who are you?

Yes, they know that there are people in the cars.
They know it very well actually.
But maybe because of the vehicle around you they can choose to ignore it?
I have had eye contact with big male lions in KTP, just 3 meters or such away, which in no uncertain way told me to stay in the car. (I have had many cats, you learn the body language.)
But mostly they choose the ignore option.
Or the large fun, the grab the bumper/license plate and tear it off option.
Which is probably on par with the pierce the tires and then stay around to see how he changes it one. But those are usually the younger ones.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm Unread post
We had wild dogs almost rubbing against the car as they walked past my dad's door and he was looking out, about 30 cm from the dogs.

I would also putthe window up ( and I do) when vervets and baboons are around. The blighters get in and steal food.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:21 pm Unread post
had a hyena try to take a bite off my side mirror, with my window open - being so close to them added another dimension to my experiences...they do stink like hell

I agree with BB: if they wanted to go for you, they are not going to be stopped by a window they cannot perceive as a "barrier" in the first place

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 am Unread post
How many drives have I done in open vehicles, without any windows to close and gotten right next to predators and all sorts of other animals .... :hmz:

Can't count them!

If you act correctly you are quite safe.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:02 pm Unread post
Even having a rifle in the vehicle is no assurance.

Mostly we drive with the rifles stored in a rifle bag.
But even if you have it in a rifle rack, the chance is extremely low that you will be able to use it in an effective way should a predator decide to enter the vehicle.
There is no time and very little space to move.

And even if you do, given the calibre and power of the rifles, there is a huge risk of shooting one or more of the guests in the process.
These rifles are designed to kill elephant and the bullet will go straight through a predator without losing any effectiveness.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm Unread post
A few years back we spent a weekend at Simbambili, when the ranger parked our open vehicle right on top of a pride of lions.
They lions did like that very much and growled the whole time.
The ranger eventually told us to not look straight at the lions which I thought was a bit weird.

My immediate question was why we had to be so very close to them, if I cant even look at them.

Later that same evening the ranger got so close to an elephant eating away at a marula tree, that if my arm was twice the length, I could have touched it. I do think that sometimes they take unnecessary risks, but will not deny that it is also great seeing them at such close range.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm Unread post
In this instance, Pray. :pray:

Different Lions, Different prides, same day, so I learnt how to pray :D

Forum Assistant
Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:00 am Unread post
The pink nose in the last picture looks as if it wants to play with you Scipio! :tongue:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 am Unread post
Hilda, :lol: :lol:

But my take on it, I am usually very carefull of hyena and Wild dog, Lions, I have seen, like n the last pic can sometimes be interested in whats INSIDE the vehicle, close the window then, Leopard usually have no interest.

So, IMHO, this thing about animals only seeing the vehicle, and not the tidbits inside, :tongue:

Forum Assistant
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 am Unread post
So, IMHO, this thing about animals only seeing the vehicle, and not the tidbits inside, :tongue:

I do believe that they see us and know what is going on inside the vehicles. They just choose to sometimes ignore us!!

We've seen it a couple of times in Kgalagadi, where the lions would pic a car and move closer to inspect. They were certainly not interested in the car, but the occupants.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am Unread post
LQ, I was driving towards Balule from Satara one night(All Legal) with a rather small car(BMW 3 series) when we encountered a fairly large pride just north of Gudzani, the 3 males in the pride took immidiate interest in what was inside the vehicle. :?

We felt like tinned food at that time. And they did try their luck in having a go at the inside of the vehicle. :whistle:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am Unread post
A few years ago I traveled from Skukuza to Kruger gate, just after the turnoff to Lake Panic a leopard appeared right next to the road.
Since I was the only car around I stopped right next to it with the intention to take a brilliant photo, my window was open as I were told that one should not brake the shape of the vehicle when close to predators as they see you as part of the vehicle.
However in the next couple of seconds I learnt that this was an absolute myth, with the leopard nicely in focus - just about to press the button for my award winning photo - It came for me :shock: :big_eyes:
To this day I have no idea how I managed to close the window so quickly, I was however unable to move as I was shaking like a broken washing machine.
An approaching car observed this from a distance and asked if I was ok?
Had to reply that I was not but I have learned a very valuable lesson and that is that Leopards do not see you as part of the vehicle it sees you as someone in the vehicle and that is a fact.
What I also learned was that a leopard moves faster than lightning and that I am sure that it did not want to hurt me it only wanted to warn me as it would have been so easy for the Leopard to grab me with my window open.
I shudder when I see people hanging out of their vehicles or letting their children stand head and shoulders through a roof window.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am Unread post
i also think its about personal space. we usuallly park our car and let the Preditors come to us instead of rushing towards them taking photos. have a photo of my fiance staring directly into a females eye which made me realize that they do take notice of you. but point begin she came to our car we didnt rush apon her so think she felt safe!

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm Unread post
So HOW CLOSE do you want to get, when on an open game vehicle? :big_eyes:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7 [ 93 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic