SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Masorini Picnic Site

Junior Virtual Ranger
Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25 pm Unread post
Does anybody know if they still offer the guided walks at Masorini? We did it in 1987. It was the first place where I saw dassies in Kruger. I recall the guide walking with a portable tape recorder which he switched on and off while showing you the various points of interest. I also recall that he mentioned about a leopard visiting the Masorini hill from time to time.

Masorini was normally our breakfast spot when we still lived in Tzaneen and visited the park on day visits.
Last post

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:55 pm Unread post
Yes they still do. There are guides stationed there. Also a small museum, telling the history of the community and containing artifacts.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:11 pm Unread post
And a place to have lunch. Don't think they have skottles for brunch though - maybe someone else knows if they do.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:16 pm Unread post
I think they do. I remember seeing skottels there, but have never lunched there.

Masorini picnic site

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm Unread post
Of all the picnic sites in Kruger we have never stopped at Masorini, not sure why although it looks like a great place. We have seen Klipspringer a few times in the vicinity though. Would you recommend this site for a picnic or for staying a while?

Re: Masorini picnic site

Forum Assistant
Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 pm Unread post
That whole area (Masorini and Erfplaas waterholes) is excellent for dassies and klippies!! :clap:

We spent 2 months last year in Phalaborwa, so travelled that area almost every day. :thumbs_up:

On the first day, while watching elephants at the waterhole near Masorini, we saw a magnificent leopard heading towards the picnic area, and saw a young leopard there a day or so later, so we have never had the courage to actually get out of the car. :big_eyes:

Thats just us though....I'm sure other people will give you their ideas on the subject. :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to get back there, and this time we will be in Phala for 4 months!!! :dance:

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:38 pm Unread post
I have had several breakfast braais there, it is never too busy. You can also take a guided tour of the ancient iron workings. Have seen sable there and lots of animals at sable dam. well worth a stop.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:47 pm Unread post
Hi Anabel1 - does one have to book for the tour? and about how long does it take?
Would really appreciate you feedback as I dont know this area well and we will be overnghting at Sable in July :dance:

Thanks!
Terri

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 am Unread post
Crested Val and Anabel1 I will put Masorini on the Kruger to do list for next time that we are in that area :thumbs_up:. I guess we usulaly drive past because it is close to the gate and a person has just entered the Kruger and would like to move on. Terri-Lee I am not sure about the tour, but it sounds very interesting. Perhaps someone who knows have some more information regarding the tour that is offered.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm Unread post
As far as I know and I stand to be corrected but I think one just speaks to the attendants there and they take you on the tour.
I remember them asking us if we wanted to do the tour the one time we stopped there but we unfortunately didn't have the spare time on that visit.

Re: Masorini Picnic Site

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:00 pm Unread post
Thanks for the feedback! I have not been there in years- just been put back on my 'must do' list!
thanks again.... :thumbs_up:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 am Unread post
We will be doing a skottel brekkie there next week Friday. :dance:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am Unread post
Yes the tour is taken by the attendants there. They take you part way up the koppie, When I went it took about 30 minutes and you don,t have to book. Very interesting

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 am Unread post
And some very interesting facts on the area Here :D

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 pm Unread post
We always stop there, saw lions there and once a cheetah. Sometimes you can just hear the lions, and that makes for a very fast retreat to the car, as Scipio was once a long time ago trapped inside the ablutions :twisted:

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic