Hope to go next year
Has anyone gone on it? any feedback ?

Karl :thumbs_up:
Last post

Re: Lebombo 4 x 4 Eco Trail

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:34 am Unread post
AndrewGericke wrote
I am really wanting to do the Lebombo Eco trail next year. I am shortly going to have to replace my vehicle, and am looking at the Amarok, but the auto version only due out in a few months time. I recently just found out though that VW has decided to put an eight speed gearbox in this vehicle, and since the first two gear ratios are very low already, there will be no option of a low range transfer case.

Do you have to have a vehicle equipped with low range to do this trail, or do you think the eight speed auto will be ok?

Hi AndrewGericke, the auto Amarok will be fine to do the trail. The new auto gearbox has been designed in such a way that the low first and second ratios, combined with intelligent management of the torque converter on the gearbox, will allow you to have the same effective ratios and control as the manual gearbox with a lowrange gearbox.

The Lebombo route is not overly taxing or technical. It is a echo route, thus you wont drive serious 4x4 obstacles.
The Amarok will make light work of this route.

Lebombo 4x4 Overland Trail

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:13 pm Unread post
Has anyone done this? Would love to hear your feedback as considering it for next year? Thanks!

Re: Lebombo 4x4 Overland Trail

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:14 am Unread post
Did it a few years ago and was really not impressed. Spent a large part of the trip driving right next to the fence line between Kruger and Mozambique. It was depressing for me to see the locals over the fence clearing the trees to make charcoal which they tried to sell to us through the fence. First night spent at Mlondozi picnic site - I ask you! Maybe it has changed but I swore I would never waste my money again.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:39 am Unread post
Thanks for the feedback Gralba...mmm...I have heard similar tales where people were pretty disillusioned with the route next to the fence and also because they felt they covered so much distance in so little time that it felt like they were racing along the trail rather than learning and stopping along the way...that is a shame because sounds like it has the potential to be really good...

Forum Assistant
Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:18 am Unread post
Divine7polo,

Have a look here............ Lebombo 4 x 4 Eco Trail

A bit old but some useful info.

Last edited by Elsa on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edited link.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:20 pm Unread post
Hi Lion queen
Sorry to bothers you but i tried to read your eco Lebombo link but it says im not authorised to read it . I dont know because i am registered as Jackrussel for some time now . I was one of the people involved with putting up the fence from Mozambique Lebombo border to Swaziland in the 1986 .We actually lived in the veld in tents for the whole period till the project was completed . In 2013 i tried to drive the old route to see if the fence was still up . I got chased by the army but i did manage to see some sections where we worked .So sad to see all of our hard work destroyed and in places the fence was torn down .

I would dearly love to drive the eco route it will be a special treat for me

regards
Jackrussel

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:32 pm Unread post
Hi LQ,

The link gives me the same problem as for jackrussel and error message. However I manage to get a trip report on the route that can be helpful. Other info I saw was that the Midiri camp was closed and therefore the info from the link below can be outdated. It seems as if the distances are the main concern. Won't it be possible to make use of some of the Trail camps to make the distances shorter like Sweni camp. It seems as if the showering facilities are poor, but this might have been the preference of the group whose trip report I read to shower at camps and not a general concern.

http://www.overland.co.za/travel_reports/Adriaan_Odendaal/Lebombo_Trail.html

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 pm Unread post
Hello Son godin
Thank you for putting up a link i can investigate. I so love the area that the eco trip runs and would definately like to drive it .The only problem is to get 6 other guys to join me .The scenery of the area is breath taking and like others reported you make friends for life on such a trip .

Regards
Jackrussel

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:48 pm Unread post
Hi again Son godin
I have just read the Odendals trip report. My what a jol ,like people point out its a eco trip nature so dont expect to see the big 5 on this kind of trip .From the sounds of it it could be a bit of a problem in the wet season even for a 4x4 .I have seen experienced drivers of 4x4's come short in the mud err stuck in the mud .Does anyone know the price nowadays of the eco tour?

Kind regards
Jackrussel

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 am Unread post
Hi jackrussel

Links sometimes become outdated as we mods merge topics.

Contact details to find the cost of the trail are here

The trail is only run during the dry season. You do not need a group to book it, you can book where there is a free spot and join in with others who book at the same time.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:32 pm Unread post
Hi Dinky Bird
Thank you for the feedback.Looks like im running out of time here .I can only make it to the Park in November and then the trails over till the following year .I will keep you posted

Regards
Jackrussel

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm Unread post
Evening Dinky Bird
I tried to email the link you gave me about the costs of the eco trail but recieved a out of office reply in July.Eischhh we are in September surely she cant be still out of the office .Awwww well thats technology for you hehehehe

Cheers
Jackrussel

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic