SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Bushmans Wilderness Trail

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm Unread post
Hi everyone,

we will be hiking the bushman trail in October and are wondering at what time we can expect to be back in Berg en Dal Restcamp??

We either could take a direct flight to Cape Town around 1.30pm or take a late flight over Jburg to Capetown (5.30pm)

All kinds of hints, ideas, suggestions, experiences would be helpful to us??

Thanks a lot,
M
Last post

Re: Itinerary Bushman Trail

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm Unread post
You will arrive back at not later than 9.00 after breakfast . So you easily get the early direct flight to CT
I suggest you read Meandering Mouses travel tale on the bushmans Trail under the titel "Family food and friendship "its on about page 3 of travel tales at the moment. where she describes her stay on the Bushmans trail. there are a few photos too.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:48 pm Unread post
link to Family Food and Friendship

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 pm Unread post
Hi there,

we are from Germany and did the Olifants Trail 2 years ago - was really great especially when a couple of hundred buffalos came direcetely out of the rising sun...

see below :-) We are really looking forward to next hiking experience in Kruger - we are not planning to do a jeep safari or anything but will continue to hike some other national parks instead :-)

CU, M

Re: Bushmans Wilderness Trail

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:53 pm Unread post
Hi,

We are doing the Bushman's trail starting on 8 August 2010, and then staying on in the park for four days afterwards. Are there freezer facilities on the trail where we can keep meat frozen during the trail for afterwards, or are we better off going shopping in Malelane the day after the trail finished?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Bushmans Wilderness Trail

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 am Unread post
ajg , as far as I know freezing space is very limited in the trails camps as fresh supplies for each trail are brought in with the same vehicle that transports the trails group to the camp - in short freezing space is not required by the cook in the trails camp .
I would suggest you purchase your perishable supplies after the trail .

Kruger Wilderness Trail

Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm Unread post
I'm going on the Bushman Wilderness Trail beginning of September. Would it be necessary to bring a sleeping bag or are blankets foreseen? Do we carry our own stuff ourselves to the overnight huts/tents or does it go into the car ?

Re: Kruger Wilderness Trail

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Thu May 31, 2012 7:52 pm Unread post
Welcome
Book in at BernDal reception and they will direct you to where the trail departs . you park you car there . Then you are taken to the trail camp by 4X4 . the huts have two beds each with all the linen and blankets you require . The ablutions are just outside the huts and have hot showers and flush toilets . Each morning you are woken up early and you go for a morning walk . there are a few light back packs to carry to have a snack on the walk . On return a hot brunch is served and then you can rest or relax untill about 3.30 then you can go for a drive or a further walk . on return it is supper time .
All food is provided all you have to take are drinks ( in moderation) and any special snacks ) biltong ,chips etc.
The routine is more or less the same for two days . On the last day you can sleep in a little have breakfast then return to Berg n Dal. September you should have had the ffirst rain so everything will be greening up . Do enjoy

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:34 am Unread post
Hi Frizzle. :D a warm welcome to you.

Hugh and I did the trail together. It really is a special experience, one to treasure. The food is wonderful, lots and lots of it.

I am not sure what camera and binoculars you use, but it is worthwhile taking a small day pack for personal items. You will be seeing some very early and magnificent bushman paintings, so even if you only use your cell camera, it is worth taking pictures.

Remember to take sunscreen. September is unpredictable and you could have any type of weather, but I have often experienced sweltering days. Also, take lipice or something to moisten your lips.

Virtual Ranger
Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:56 pm Unread post
All I can say is..... I WISH I WAS COMING WITH!!! It is an amazing experience. Some things we found that you might not get off the website:

1) Tea, coffee and water supplied for the rest bring your own. There is a fridge provided to feel free to pack in whatever meets your fancy. You are driven to your bungalow so don't worry about how heavy it makes your bag (you are right there)

2) Take sunblock - even in April with overcast conditions we got fried!

3) Mozzie repelant. Also beware if little ticks! Keep that citronella scent on you at all times

4) Take a "mik en druk" the pics are worth it.

You will love it!!

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:54 pm Unread post
Bayticol sprayed on your clothes will get rid of ticks . available at most camp shops .. well worth it Mine has lasted many hikes

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic