SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]

First time Addo - need some advice

Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm Unread post
Hi all, as part of a 3 weeks round trip in SA, I will be staying for 2 nights in Addo together with my husband and our 5 year old daughter (Oct.2012). We will be flying in from Joburg with arrival at PE at 4pm.

Question 1: Will it be too late to drive to the main camp and hence maybe better to stay the first night at matyholweni camp ?

Question 2 : The only available accomodation in main camp the second night is safari tent (too small?), forest cabin (good views?) or a cottage. What would you recommend to stay in, keeping in mind that we would love to have a nice open view...

Really looking forward to hear your expert opinions !
Last post

Re: First time Addo - need some advice

Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm Unread post
It takes about 35 mins to get to Matyholweni camp from the airport there are road works that could delay you a bit, the camp itself is OK for adults but I think a little boring for a five year old. The cottages at the main camp are OK and most have a fairly good view, the forest huts are as named and the views are not that good. The best bet for me would be the Safari tent but I am completely biased as I only camp and you do have good views as well. In the main camp there are more things for a five year old to see (shop = goodies) and do. You are near a pool so she can swim, a bird hide and she can explore the camp (not alone though) Being October it can be a little chilly at night. Where ever you stay have a great time

Virtual Ranger
Mon May 07, 2012 8:22 am Unread post
Hi Ngelati, welcome to the forums :thumbs_up:

By the time you're out the airport and got your car etc, then I would say it might be too late to drive to the main camp from within the park (ie. enter at Matyholweni and drive up to the main camp). You could probably get there in time driving direct along the R335, although last time I was there, the road condition was terrible - maybe someone can confirm whether it's still a road to be avoided? Either way, I would be quite happy to stay in Matyholweni for a night as the lion are seen more often on the southern side of the park these days. :D

As for the second night, jad is right that the safari tents have a great view out over the game area... but I think they would be too small for the 3 of you. They only have 2 beds inside, and I'm not entirely sure whether they could/would squeeze another in there as well... perhaps the cottage would be the best option. They don't really have the uninterrupted views like the chalets/rondavels, but at least it's a bit more open than the forest huts.

Hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay!

Guru
Tue May 15, 2012 11:32 pm Unread post
Hi Ngelati,
You will still have time to make it to main camp if you want to – the reception closes at 7pm. Even if you get there late, you can still get in till 10pm, just let reception know and the security guard at the gate will let you in.
I think it’s better to stay in main camp with children as there is a lot to do and all the conveniences – shop, restaurant, bird hide, swimming pool, waterhole lookout plus a big info centre with interactive displays. Its also a bit of a pain to have to change accommodation/camps each morning, so better to stay in one camp for 2 nights.
A safari tent would not be suitable for 3 of you, you will need a forest cabin (4 single beds in 1 room), CH2/4 chalet (twin beds & sleeper couch in 1 room) or guesthouse (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, sleeps 6).
Enjoy the Addo adventure!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic